Barcelona Attack

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • A 12-strong terror cell that carried out two attacks in Spain this week had collected 120 gas canisters and was planning to use them in vehicle attacks, Spanish police say.

Canisters were found at a house, said to be used by the cell, that blew up in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday night.

Police are still hunting for the driver of the van that hit dozens of people on Barcelona's Las Ramblas, killing 13.

BBC article

=====

I was going to avoid this story as I wasn't in the mood for this sort of stuff as I'm unwell, but it's just taken a new turn beyond the usual drive into and kill people style attack. I will put the original news story/link later for future reference, but this has just taken a new turn and can't be ignored as its the biggest news story for the last few days.

The use of these gas canisters would have been devastating. Is this something we should expect here at some point? It's easy to get these canisters.

Just imagine in say 10 years time with AI and robotic cars, a terrorist's dream...

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• There were also street attacks in Russia and Finland.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Don't know anything about the Russian one. Did it just happen?

What is worrying is the use of these gas canisters. They basically have an easy way to use bombs and they, the terrorists, don't even need to mess around with fertiliser like the IRA used to. The bomb is already made for them, all they need is a way to set it off, aka the speeding car.

I have a dreadful feeling this is going to become the standard terrorist attack from now. Good job the Spanish police got to these gas canisters first.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.