Families could get discounts on their supermarket shopping if they hit weekly exercise “step targets” under radical NHS proposals.

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Families could get discounts on their supermarket shopping if they hit weekly exercise “step targets” under radical NHS proposals.

Free bikes, sprinting tracks on pavements and outdoor public gyms are also proposed as part of efforts to drive out couch potato lifestyles and reward those who try to shape up.

The head of the health service said the schemes, which will be piloted in new towns, aimed to create a “design for life” which would persuade young and old out of sedentary habits.

Under the proposals, those who meet weekly activity targets, tracked on apps, could be offered discounts on weekly supermarket shopping and sports gear, free cinema tickets, or cut-price gym membership.

Housing developers will be asked to provide new homes with free bikes, in a bid to “cut car use and promote cycling”, health officials said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new…hit-nhs-exercise-targets/

I am constantly amazed as to why the state and various organisations think it's their job to reward people for doing what any normal person would do anyway. We give free breakfasts to every school child, presumably because the parents can't get off their overweight backsides and tip cornflakes into a bowl and add a drop of milk.

Instead of rewarding people for doing what everyone else would consider as normal behaviour, how about doing the opposite? If parents are too fat, ban them from using buses or cars for 6 months. If kids are overweight, make them walk to school and if parents don't feed their kids take the money off their income be it welfare or wages.

It's not the job of the state or anyone else to replace or reward parents who won't do what they are supposed to do, keep themselves and their children fit and fed.

• I need to ponder this. My brain is back to its usual snail's pace, so I'll reply later.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I agree that the state should stay out but since everyone regardless of health pays the same in then it seems fair to increase or decrease depending on your health and fitness choices e.g. I've got a dog, I walk more than many, I should get discount :)

• Ok, apologies to all my conservative kin folk, but this is one those things I am going to be putting my liberal hat on here.:)

I fully understand and have the same opinions as already expressed, but "leaving to them it" changes nothing. No, I don't want the state to get involved in anything, as it's utterly useless, but what other choice is there?

I was going to create a similar-ish sort of topic, but as I see our society going, there will be the rich and there will be the poor. There will be the healthy, there will be the unhealthy. There will be the educated and there will be the uneducated etc. I think you get my drift.

The fact of the matter is, some families and parents are utterly useless. I have direct experience of this with my scum neighbours. There needs to be both an incentive to get these people to change and a punishment, if they don't.

By all means cut benefits to parents if they don't feed their kids properly, but do that after trying to change their behaviour first. And cutting benefits will only mean more hardships for the kids, if the kids are not being fed properly and the State has tried to help, then more punitive measures would be required, like taking the kids off the parents.

At some point as a society, we have to decide what kind of world do we want to live in today and what kind of world do we want for those in the future. There are whole swathes of people whose behaviour is not acceptable. Either we leave them to it, or there needs to be intervention.

• I would say that rewarding people with free bikes and shopping vouchers will simply encourage more people to resent them and think 'Well hang on a minute. I'm doing the right thing and they are not, and getting rewarded for it. Virtue may be it's own reward but I'd sooner have a bike instead. "

• Its been going on for years . Labour gave free laptops away to people left; right & centre etc

Free this; that & the other ....

In london they used to issie free london transport permits too.

Loon.

• I would say that rewarding people with free bikes and shopping vouchers will simply encourage more people to resent them and think 'Well hang on a minute. I'm doing the right thing and they are not, and getting rewarded for it. Virtue may be it's own reward but I'd sooner have a bike instead. "

The question I keep coming back to is, how can their behaviour be changed?

As an example, reduction in benefits in a household that contains a alcoholic will not prevent that alcoholic from drinking, but it could prevent that alcoholic's kids from eating.

I prefer encouragement first, then punishment if all else fails.

• The question I keep coming back to is, how can their behaviour be changed?

As an example, reduction in benefits in a household that contains a alcoholic will not prevent that alcoholic from drinking, but it could prevent that alcoholic's kids from eating.

I prefer encouragement first, then punishment if all else fails.

Fair comment. Obviously some things like alcoholism and drug addiction need treatment rather than rewards or punishment.