Should we ban nuts in public?

• Nuts are an on-the-go snacking staple, yet they are also potentially deadly to a small fraction of the UK population. So is it time to crack down on eating nuts in public and if so, where should we start?

About two million people in the UK have a food allergy, with fish, shellfish and nuts among the most common types.

Obviously the BBC are as desperate as me for decent news stories, don't worry Brexit is back on next week to "cheer" us all up!

I am allergic to nuts, but I don't see how you could ban someone from eating nuts in public. As anyone with a food allergy knows, if its severe, you have to keep medicine on you at all times.

That said, my brother was in Lakeside shopping centre a few weeks ago (I'm there in two days, it's hell on earth..) and he stupidly had a taster of some food and it contained nuts and he is severely allergic and did not have his meds with him. By the time he got home, he was just going blue and his breathing was terrible, but after an adrenaline shot he was okay, although it took the whole weekend for him to recover fully.

Accidents, do happen, but banning eating nuts in public, is a no from me. In any case, how could it ever be enforced?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Nuts are an on-the-go snacking staple, yet they are also potentially deadly to a small fraction of the UK population. So is it time to crack down on eating nuts in public and if so, where should we start?

Actually I have noticed that in a couple of restaurants we've used lately there are new signs asking customers to inform staff if they have any food allergies. Perhaps all takeaways and restaurants should have them prominently displayed so the responsibility is placed on the seller rather than the buyer who cannot possibly know which dishes may contain nuts or whatever.

• This is a new thing in my experience. I never saw anything like this in my life and have never known anyone with a nut allergy. But Mr Wing has an old school friend who has just died of a heart attack from an extreme allergic reaction to eating sunflower seeds.

• I notice that Lidl have a warning sign about their nuts that are in open self serve sacks in the store. I know it's unfortunate that a small minority have a severe nut allergy but I'm just fed up of the majority having to suffer for it. That applies to so many things these days.:(

I have an asthmatic reaction to something in certain joss sticks but I just don't go where they might be.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Actually I have noticed that in a couple of restaurants we've used lately there are new signs asking customers to inform staff if they have any food allergies. Perhaps all takeaways and restaurants should have them prominently displayed so the responsibility is placed on the seller rather than the buyer who cannot possibly know which dishes may contain nuts or whatever.

Its a legal requirement already for food businesses to have this information available, i.e. they should have already assessed their menu and you only need to ask to view the results of that assessment. If they don't have it they are breaking the law.

• About a month ago, my family and I went to a very nice Turkish restaurant for my birthday and knowing that I am allergic to nuts, I avoided any food with nuts in, as did my brother who has a severe allergy.

At the end of the meal, the waiter brought some goodies which included what I thought was chocolate and Turkish delight (one of my favourites) so I immediately grabbed a piece of that and shoved it in my mouth. My brother ripped it out immediately. He'd been to this same restaurant before, had the same sweets and realised they contained nuts.... it almost killed him.X(

We told the restaurant about our allergies and yet they still served us this things, albeit it was a different waiter who served us.

IF we'd been American, we would have been shouting law suit at them, but instead we walked out. Apart from almost getting killed by them, it was a very nice meal!:rolleyes::)

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• You can't go banning things that somebody might be allergic to. After all I have a friend who is allergic to fish, eggs and peas. Are you seriously expecting those foods to be banned? Or indeed any number of things that a few or very few are allergic to.

Obviously food establishments should be vary aware of what is put into their offering. The friend I mentioned we went for a meal in one place and he asked about the things that he's allergic to and was assured that the dish he'd ordered didn't have peas or pea flour in but it had mange tout, which are from the pea family and would have made him react.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.