Texas Hurricane

• Texas is facing a "very major disaster" as Hurricane Harvey approaches its coastline, the state's governor says.

Harvey, currently a category three storm in the Gulf of Mexico, will make landfall on Texas' central coast late on Friday or early on Saturday.

BBC Article

====

Could be America's worst environmental disaster and yet there are people surfing just hours before the hurricane hits... I suppose those same surfers would want others to risk their lives for them if they got into difficulties.

As much as we complain about the weather here, we have some of the world's tamest weather and are very lucky.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I notice on the news this morning we are back to the situation we discussed a while ago, reporters out in the pouring rain and howling gales, palm trees blown flat in the background, being asked by some clown in the studio, 'And tell us Rebecca, what's it like out there now?'

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr??????????????

• I notice on the news this morning we are back to the situation we discussed a while ago, reporters out in the pouring rain and howling gales, palm trees blown flat in the background, being asked by some clown in the studio, 'And tell us Rebecca, what's it like out there now?'

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr??????????????

CNN actually explained this to viewers last time there was a hurricane or something and the excuse they came out with was they have reporters standing in floods and/or getting blown to bits by gale force winds to illustrate to members of the public how dangerous it is.

Problem is, especially with some Americans, is that they like to get on TV, so for a few idiots, it actually encourages people to be outside when these things happen.

• Major Houston dam begins overspilling as Storm Harvey pushes reservoir past capacity - Texas official

BBC Article

=====

Not really been following this story, but I feel very sorry for the people who find themselves in this situation.

There is already serous flooding as the ground is saturated, so a disaster with the dam is the last thing Houston needs.

A report the other day was from trailer park in Texas and the people being interviewed were saying that they were too poor to evacuate. Some of the trailer roofs had already been ripped to pieces and they didn't know what their fate would be. All this in the world's richest country....

• But Trump has been very quick to respond with promises of funds and help. If he manages this, then he will shut down a lot of voices that have been criticising him. The disaster in new Orleans when the levies broke was never really attended to. If Trump can handle a disaster like Harvey, then kudos to Trump in this regard.

• Source

Heading for Florida, full magnitude 5. Makes Harvey look like a walk in the park.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Hurricane Irma has destroyed buildings and caused major flooding on several French island territories in the Caribbean.

The four "most solid" buildings on Saint Martin, shared by France and the Netherlands, were destroyed, French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb said.

Communications between Paris and Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy are down.

The category five hurricane, the highest possible level, has sustained wind speeds reaching 300km/h (185mph).
    BBC article

=====

I think in the UK we can thank our lucky stars that we never get a hurricane season like they do over there.

• The thing with climate change is that you don't always get different conditions. Sometimes the conditions you have simply get worse.

I'm not looking forward to our thunderstorms. The past few years they have been getting vicious.

• I won't post it here and perhaps not at all, but I did see something on a youtube channel and have since looked at American government documents on the subject of weather alteration. A test was done at the time of the Texas hurricane.... I'll leave that hanging just there, for now.:)

• Weather War

Read this a good few years ago, cracking good read about a TV weatherman that suspects that there's something wrong with the weather as increasingly bizarre events occur including his brothers plane being downed by lightning as he's coming to see his brother with proof.

The eye of Hurricane Irma passed over Barbuda in the early hours of this morning, the National Weather Service said.

Residents said over local radio that phone lines went down as the hurricane raged across the island with winds of 185 mph and gusts of 218 mph.

Heavy rain and howling winds slammed the neighbouring island of Antigua, sending debris flying as people huddled in their homes or government shelters.

Pictures and video

I think in the UK we can thank our lucky stars that we never get a hurricane season like they do over there.

Storm of Autumn '87 was pretty scary down here on the south coast. The lighthouse on the Needles (Isle of Wight) recorded 108MPH before their anemometer disintigrated. A number of houses near me had gable walls sucked out and just across the road a 60ft poplar tree was blown over. Fortunately away from here.

Look at the roof of the house: Those are heavy concrete tiles that have been ripped off. I got away lightly and only lost the gutters at the rear of the house.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Storm of Autumn '87

I remember, I was a paperboy then!

Lot of trees had collapsed into the street, pain in the arse trying to get round them with a load of papers and it was the weekend bloody supplements too! Really heavy.

Look at the roof of the house: Those are heavy concrete tiles that have been ripped off. I got away lightly and only lost the gutters at the rear of the house.

Had quite a few incidents in my area after the hurricane with falling tiles falling onto people's heads. Personally, it was the electricity lines, I was most nervous about which used to run along the main roads.

At least you didn't get hurt, Heero. Gutters can be replaced, heads can't.

• Read this a good few years ago, cracking good read about a TV weatherman that suspects that there's something wrong with the weather as increasingly bizarre events occur including his brothers plane being downed by lightning as he's coming to see his brother with proof.

I'll probably create a conspiracy theories thread to begin with, which may lead into a full blown forum eventually, but an item was shot into the sky as the Texas hurricane was forming. Afterwards, the hurrican got much worse. Similar tests have been done in California.

Hoxton, look away now!^^:

It is related to war, but the theory is that unlike the weathermen's theory that you quoted, it is a missile defence system. Several are allegedly being tested using different methods which all involved weather, the main one being HAARP.

• Haha, conspiracy theories are hilarious, this one is up there with the best! The Mexicans/Jews/Lizard Men/today's target of your choice did well to time their attack just as other atmospheric effects were happening in the region, albeit not creating such an "unnatural" shape. Very entertaining. I love how it caused a hurricane that was already in full effect too. ^^

I was going to post a great Carl Sagan clip, I forgot if I ended up posting it or not. I think I might have shied away so as not to offend people on here. As he says back in the sixties and it is still correct today, humans have a great desire to believe in something beyond the mundane lives nearly all of us lead. Religion used to fulfil that need but since its been under so much scrutiny and largely found to be baseless and socially unacceptable they've looked elsewhere. Conspiracy theories are a great alternative. I'm a bit too busy and rational to believe in them myself but I freely admit that probably makes me the weirdo these days! Poor old Carl Sagan used to be admired, now David Icke has more respect than any scientist (thanks mainly due to the embarrassingly poor representation they get in the media and politics). :huh:

• It's a demon haunted world ;)

I have a feeling that the earth changing its magnetic poles combined with some mega sun spots are responsible for a lot of the powerful weather phenomena. We seem to be in the trough of one of these cosmo-weather effects and must live through or die, like our ancestors had to, except that we can study them now and try and work out how they might be controlled. This would go along with the research on close-call asteroids.

• Haha, conspiracy theories are hilarious, this one is up there with the best!

I have a feeling that the earth changing its magnetic poles combined with some mega sun spots are responsible for a lot of the powerful weather phenomena.

Could be some truth in that as increased solar wind flux that can reach the surface of the planet will interract with weather systems.

The South Atlantic Anomaly is nowadays one of the most important features of the Earth's magnetic field. Its extent area at the Earth's surface is continuously growing since the intensity instrumental measurements are available covering part of the Southern Hemisphere and centered in South America. Several studies associate this anomaly as an indicator of an upcoming geomagnetic transition, such an excursion or reversal.

Link to study

Note: My script blocker issued a warning about cross-site scripting here so exercise caution if you follow the link. Console reports unexpected character.

4312-gwban-gif

• One of the consequences of this anomaly is that the southern tip of the Van-Allen belt here is actually close to the surface of the Earth and could be interracting with weather systems.

4312-gwban-gif

• Source

Safe to say Sir Richard won't be holidaying there for some time.

4312-gwban-gif

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's £39million Caribbean mansion faces destruction at the hands of devastating Hurricane Irma.

The Russian billionaire is one of a number of celebrities who own sprawling luxury homes and even private islands that sit in the storm's path, including Johnny Depp, Eddie Murphy, Richard Branson and President Donald Trump.

Source

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind. ^^

4312-gwban-gif