Brexit: Round 3 of the talks

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Formal Brexit talks are due to resume in Brussels later, with British negotiators urging the EU to show "flexibility and imagination".

Brexit Secretary David Davis wants to broaden discussions to include trade.

But the EU says there has to be progress on the issues of citizens' rights, the Irish border and the "divorce bill" before talks can widen.

Both sides have said there is no real prospect of a breakthrough in this third round of talks.

BBC Article

====

I've already published the UK's position papers on various subjects as the third round of Brexit talks start today.

This round may be crucial on issues like the ECJ and whether we can talk future deals in parallel about talking about the divorce "bill".

Let's hope that David Davies' swagger is met with real tangible results.

• The European Union's chief negotiator Michel Barnier has expressed concern about progress so far, as the third round of Brexit talks gets under way.

He warned that UK "ambiguity" must be removed and progress on "separation" issues made before any talks on the future EU-UK relationship.

For his part, UK Brexit Secretary David Davis said both sides had to show "flexibility and imagination".

BBC article

=====

I guess we'll find out on Thursday whether any progress has been made or not.

Either we give in and agree to the jurisdiction of the ECJ and agree the divorce bill before talking about future trade relations, or the other side gives in.

As Barnier has said before, the clock is ticking.

• Europe's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier says there has been "no decisive progress" on key issues in talks with the UK.

He said the two sides were "quite far" away from being in a position to begin talks on future trade arrangements.

BBC article

====

Well, the third round of talks has ended and it doesn't look like it went well. Annoyingly, I missed the press conference, but I hope to see it later and will comment further once I've seen it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!