Sussex gas "leak". A possible terrorist attack??

• About 150 people have been treated in hospital and hundreds more affected by an unknown gas which hit the East Sussex coast.

Birling Gap beach was evacuated on Sunday after people reported breathing difficulties, stinging eyes and vomiting when a "mist" appeared.

BBC article

=====

This is certainly an odd story.

Yesterday, a mist came onto a Sussex beach yesterday and instantly people starting feeling unwell with itching and burning eyes and being sick.

Today, the police still do not know the source of this mist.

As outlandish as it may sound, could it be a terrorist attack, or is it just a case of a leak from somewhere?

Any wannabe terrorists out there, must be getting ideas though from this story. All they need to get is some chlorine and let it off in key places and although it might not kill, it could cause chaos. Not good at all.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• This has heppened before and the gas was leaked from a factory unit in Northern France. It sounds much like chlorine and that could be a result of a ship washing out its tanks of a product that then reduces the salt in the sea releasing Chlorine in the process.

[Mod] Title amended.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• On the one o'clock news on R4 a witness said they saw a ship dumping something shortly before the incident. I can't find a reference to that statement though.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Now they say it was a meteorological event

Apparently on the day there was an inversion in the atmosphere. These can trap pollutants at ground level. Still doesn't identify the source however.

4312-gwban-gif

• Why didn't they grab a little bag of the stuff. By now they would know what the chemicals were.

That puzzles me to, they had plenty of opportunity to get samples before the cloud dissipated. Plus I'm sure I could see that cloud on the satellite pictures for that day, I thought it was just some sea fog. Those pictures aught to identify the approximate location for the source.

<conspiracy> Unless it was our navy up to some nefarious activity. Now where would a cloud that sends people running from the beach be useful? </conspiracy>

4312-gwban-gif

• <conspiracy> Unless it was our navy up to some nefarious activity. Now where would a cloud that sends people running from the beach be useful? </conspiracy>

I do love a good conspiracy theory, which reminds me to create a thread about them at some point.:)

• On the one o'clock news on R4 a witness said they saw a ship dumping something shortly before the incident. I can't find a reference to that statement though.

That ship owner should get fined. People on the beach were made ill due to whatever crap they were dumping out.