Bake Off is back and now on Ch4. Did you watch it?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The first episode of Channel 4's The Great British Bake Off was watched live by an average of 5.8 million viewers.

The audience for the launch show rose to 6.5 million when those watching on +1 were included in the figures.

It's the lowest figure for an opening episode of GBBO since 2013 - when the show attracted 5.6 million viewers to BBC Two.

The first episode of this year's Great British Bake Off provided one of the biggest audiences in Channel 4's 35-year history, new figures show.

Full ratings, which includes those who watched the show up to seven days later, ended up at 9.5 million viewers.

No programme has achieved ratings as high since Big Fat Gypsy Weddings had 9.7 million viewers in February 2011.

The controversial move by the producers of Great British Bake Off to move the show to Channel 4 seems to have paid off, but as I've illustrated above the picture may not be as clear cut as it seems.

The first BBC article above was from a week ago and the second article is from today. Spot the difference? They tell a very different story about the same episode of the same show. This illustrates that reporting an issue even as simple as tv ratings in the modern world, is not as easy as it used to be.

The BBC had a massive audience for the first episode of the last series of Bake Off as shown on BBC1, whereas as Ch4's figures were far lower. But as the second BBC article highlights, on demand figures have pushed up the numbers considerably for CH4 and tell a very story to the first article. Something to remember when the media report about other more substantial stories from around the world, that as the facts can change, so can the "story.";)

Now, after that "little" digress, onto the subject at hand.

No more Merry Berry. Did you miss her? Did you watch Bake off?

• I used to watch old Bake Off, my wife and daughters watched it and I slowly got into it. Forgot all about the new one. I can't stand Noel Fielding and youngest daughter hates Sandy Toksvig anyway so I can't see it taking off in our house...!

• Loved Mary Berry. But she can't last forever. She is from the sort of baking I know and love. I won't watch the new fangled thing. Probably has chilies in the chocolate cake and is as British as fried snails.

• Depends on if I can get them. She's so food hygiene conscious and traditional. Always looks perturbed when the moderns plunge their ringed fingers into things and touch the food when they could use utensils. Love her.

• Always looks perturbed when the moderns plunge their ringed fingers into things and touch the food when they could use utensils.

Rightly so. It's so unhygienic especially raw meat.

I've never been into baking apart from bread and the odd batch of scones and we dont have cakes so I never watched the original series on BBC.

• Chocolate layer creamy jobs with strawberries are also good. Black Forest cake. We used to get these from a German baker near where I had a shop. They were otherworldly gorgeous.

• Actually, you're dead right, Heero!:D

When I came back to this page, only the first line of your post was shown to begin with and I saw the word carrots and thought carrot cake immediately. I suppose slim people would think of salads first, or some other such thing. Not me.

I do like carrot cake, but where are the carrots?:)

• When I came back to this page, only the first line of your post was shown to begin with and I saw the word carrots and thought carrot cake immediately. I suppose slim people would think of salads first, or some other such thing. Not me.

Actually I'm partial to raw carrot either direct or grated. When I was at infants school (yes, I WAS young once. LOL) we had the choice after lunch of an apple or a carrot and I usualy went for the carrot.

I do like carrot cake, but where are the carrots?

They are a major ingredient in the actual sponge instead of flour. Carrots are naturally sweet and can be added to many dishes, like pasta sauces, as a bulking ingredient.

• Amazon is to sponsor the second series of Channel 4's The Great British Bake Off

The sponsorship will also cover Bake Off: An Extra Slice, any festive episodes and Bake Off: The Professionals.

Last year's sponsors were Lyle's Golden Syrup and Dr Oetker.

Amazon is particularly keen to use the deal to promote its Echo's speakers and the capabilities of voice service Alexa.

Obviously, Jeremy Clarkson wasn't enough for Amazon, they need the help of Bake Off to sell their gadgets now. Perhaps some of the presenters will be replaced by Alexa??^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!