Should dog walkers be made to carry bags?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • According to this recent Times article (requires subscription to view) dog walkers in Canterbury are to be required to carry two plastic bags with them to pick up their dog's mess. If they do not, under plans by the local council which will come into force next month, dog walker's could be fined £80.

If this sensible? Dog walkers should pick up their mess, but what if they've already collected dog mess, there are no bags left and then some council warden jumps on them for not having two bags?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• When populations are small and manageable, so is crap. When crap is plentiful, controls are necessary. This can be extended to make "crap" take the place of anything, or anyone, that, or who, becomes a threat by producing either too much of itself, or themselves. 8)

As humans are the biggest producers of this substance, both literally and in other ways, it might also be time to question their sanity when it comes to stuffing the environment with both themselves, their undisciplined and often unwanted offspring and all the crap, litter, pollution and unpleasantness they cause, on the streets, in the media, networking, market place and indeed over the whole once fair face of Mother Earth. :evil:

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I'm afraid I'm with the enemy. If I had my way, dog walkers would not only be compelled to carry bags, they'd be compelled to carry a scrubbing brush, a bottle of disinfectant and a bucket of water too. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen dog owners let their animals crap on the grass verges or pavements down our street and then walk off. If you have a go at them they'll just say ' Sorrreeeeeeeeeeee. I'll come back later and pick it up' and go off smiling to themselves.

I'd recommend having the dog put down for a first offence and the owner put down for a second offence.

• I pick up so much dog pooh every day that a little more isn't going to kill me. It's cat pooh that is now the problem.

We have solved the problem of dogs crapping on the grass verge by removing it and planting a rockery there instead in order to stop visitors to the establishment over the road from parking there. I did try asking them politely not to but they sneered at me. I tried putting some large stones along the verge to dissuade them, but the cheeky baggages actually dragged them out of the way. When I put them back, I had the dubious pleasure of a cop at the gate issuing me with a written warning. Obviously one of these cows had a relative in the then apartheid regime.

So, instead of going on a killing spree, I swallowed my ire and we made a rockery. It serves the dual purpose of stopping dogs walking there and stopping humans from parking there.

But not everyone can do this, so I sympathise with those who might get tons of poop on their verges. The only way is possibly to scoop up alien droppings, follow the dog walker home and then, when no one is looking, place the offending muck on their verges, or in their driveways or wherever they happen to hang their hats.

• Sadly my sister has just lost her dog. She always carried a supply of bags as Buster (Black Labrador) would always choose the worst place to have a dump.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• My condolences.

They dump in all the wrong places because they get so excited about being out on a walk with their human.

• He got so excited about walkies when he was young that he did pronking and managed to get about 4 feet off the ground to his paws. Quite spectacular.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Sadly my sister has just lost her dog. She always carried a supply of bags as Buster (Black Labrador) would always choose the worst place to have a dump.

Sorry to hear that.

The joys of dog ownership.

Have you got one, Ron? What's your views on this subject?

I'm afraid I'm with the enemy.

I'm with you on this one.

If I had my way, dog walkers would not only be compelled to carry bags, they'd be compelled to carry a scrubbing brush, a bottle of disinfectant and a bucket of water too. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen dog owners let their animals crap on the grass verges or pavements down our street and then walk off. If you have a go at them they'll just say ' Sorrreeeeeeeeeeee. I'll come back later and pick it up' and go off smiling to themselves.

You obviously don't live in a wanabee ghetto like me. You'd be lucky to get a sorry from dog walkers in my area. The common response is "F Off or you'll get a f**king smack in the mouth" and in recent years and this seems to be a London only thing at the moment, there have been several incidents with acid or bleach being sprayed into people's faces. Had this three times in one of my local parks over the last year, all involving dog walkers.

There is no enforcement in my area on dog mess, what about other members' here, do your local councils enforce the rules.

• But not everyone can do this, so I sympathise with those who might get tons of poop on their verges. The only way is possibly to scoop up alien droppings, follow the dog walker home and then, when no one is looking, place the offending muck on their verges, or in their driveways or wherever they happen to hang their hats.

When you say grass verge, LW, is this on your property. Your front garden, in effect.

• Dog owner so as I tend to go in places where other dogs go I hate lazy owners more than most. I'm in favour of anything that will solve this issue but the above idea seems very flawed as H points out.

I hate twats that blame "dog owners" though. That's like blaming all shoppers for shoplifting. I'm hoping this country can start to try to focus on offenders for a change - normally rules come in that only responsible citizens abide by (usually at a cost to them) and the wankers continue regardless.

• I think councils should enforce rules, I wish mine would, but I don't see how this rule about two bags can be enforced.

Hoxton, it's not even that some people are lazy in my area, they're just pure scum. I can forgive the ignorant and lazy a little, but not continued deliberate acts.

• I think councils should enforce rules, I wish mine would, but I don't see how this rule about two bags can be enforced.

Hoxton, it's not even that some people are lazy in my area, they're just pure scum. I can forgive the ignorant and lazy a little, but not continued deliberate acts.

I agree - as I say though, I've no time for idiots who refer to dog owners. I'd never dream of taking dog out without a couple of bags and drummed the same into my kids.

Thinking about it I'm fine with sensible introduction of this rule - first offence you get a record, second you get fined, third (or non payment of fine) they take the dog away. It will require money though and no doubt, as is normal in the UK, law abiding dog owners who'd never dream of leaving dog shit about will be expected to pay...!

• When you say grass verge, LW, is this on your property. Your front garden, in effect.

The grass verge in SA is the area outside the perimeter of the property, usually boundaried by a fence or wall and is council property. Many are giving up on grass and just continuing the paving in the driveway onto the verge because of the need to save water as grass is very thirsty.

• Things must work very different in SA to to the UK, or London at least.

You certainly wouldn't be allowed to plant rockeries or anything else on grass verges, unless they form part of your property.

There's been numerous issues with grass verges in my area and we don't get many grass verges in my immediate area, normally they are along main roads like bus routes.

There was a case about 10 years ago of a old lady who would would plant out spring bulbs and summer bedding plants on the grass verge in front of her house. She got a warning by the council to stop it reminding her it wasn't her property and she could be held liable for any damage. Obviously, she stopped.

We still have some trees down my road and in the surrounding area and some of the old folks used to plant flowers around those trees, but that all stopped too. No idea whether they were warned, or not, but it's a shame as it made the area look really nice.

Perhaps this is just London, I don't know, see if any other members comment, but London is very, very territorial now.

• Have you got one, Ron? What's your views on this subject?

No I don't own a dog, the idea of having to follow it around when out in public to pick up it's crap doesn't interest me at all, in fact just seeing someone doing that makes me shudder. <X

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• You certainly wouldn't be allowed to plant rockeries or anything else on grass verges, unless they form part of your property.

We aren't allowed to, but a lot of people do and because the government now isn't as anal as the previous regime that had bureaucracy down to a fine art, many plant stuff on the verges, or pave them. The only time you are likely to be told to remove it is if plants are on a corner and are obscuring motorists' view of oncoming traffic.

• London council's are anal with a capital A.

One of the things I used to like about the BBC's That's Life programme with Esther Rantzen is they always had a jobsworth segment. Every week they would find some council official or other arsehole who applied rules above that of common sense and was awarded a special jobsworth hat on the show.

London is full of these types, most of them come from Nigeria now.

• Doesn't everyone come from Nigeria now. 8)SA's big city streets are controlled by Nigerian pimps and drug dealers.

• According to this recent Times article (requires subscription to view) dog walkers in Canterbury are to be required to carry two plastic bags with them to pick up their dog's mess. If they do not, under plans by the local council which will come into force next month, dog walker's could be fined £80.

If this sensible? Dog walkers should pick up their mess, but what if they've already collected dog mess, there are no bags left and then some council warden jumps on them for not having two bags?

Let's get the bins emptied in the streets, rubbish picked up , signs repaired and lights fixed before we employ more council Nazis to walk the streets , shall we?

• Let's get the bins emptied in the streets, rubbish picked up , signs repaired and lights fixed before we employ more council Nazis to walk the streets , shall we?

We need all that stuff done too. Presumably it would be the same council officials enforcing that no one litters the streets as well as stopping their dogs to poo everywhere.

I have to say on this one very specific issue, my local council is very good at replacing street lights. Most streets lights in my area have been/are being replaced with LED ones, basically the new lights you see on motorways now.

The council has contracted out the replacement of these lights to a private company. Whereas before it would take least a couple of council workers to change the bulb, and that's assuming they didn't have to dig up the road to get to the electricity supply, now its only one person.

I had a light across from me replaced a few moths ago. A chap comes in his own van with a hydraulic lift. He cuts off the current "head" of the street light and attaches another one. All done in about five minutes, where as before it was at least an hour it took previously with the old lights.

Oh, and welcome back from me too. You finally made it back in.:):thumbup: