New Apple iPhone. Will you get it?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Apple has revealed a high-end smartphone with an "edge-to-edge" screen that has no physical home button.

The iPhone X - which is referred to as "ten" - uses a facial recognition system to recognise its owner rather than a fingerprint-based one.

Apple's latest iPhone goes on sale in the UK on the 3rd of November. Only costing a mere £999...8|

Have I mentioned here before that I don't own a smartphone. Nope, I'm smartphone-less, never ever had one. Must be about the only person who doesn't own one in the country. :) Am I missing out?

When I was younger and richer, I did buy quite a lot of "boys toys" but those days are long gone. But is Apple going too far here with this "phone" at charging 1 pound under a thousand for it? Or, do people think this is reasonable for all the latest tech?

Will you get it when it goes on sale in two months time?

• I had an iPhone 5S as a company phone and I thought it was quite poor compared to the personal Android phone I had so I've not given them another chance. I think the iPhone 6 was their finest hour possibly because fans were secretly pleased to move away from the 5S. The iPhone 7 and the new one sees them now playing catch up rather than set the trend as they used to do. If people weren't so locked into Apple I expect they would slowly drift away.

I tend to push my phone beyond bog standard smartphone use and the flexibility of Android is better for me. As for pricing then it won't be an issue. Apple fans have been buying over priced laptops for years so won't be concerned!

Having said that I like the Note phones and will be getting the Note 8 soon. I used the pen for sketches and notes all the time. Luckily I'll be getting a nice discount since I had the fiery Note 7 which they replaced with a free S7 Edge, so I've been doing fairly well out of them for a bit...

• My 15+ year old Nokia mobile broke a month ago, so got a cheapo Tesco replacement. I'm a bit behind in tech things now, especially mobile related.:)

Do you use your phone more as a computer, Hoxton? I have to say I really don't know what all the fuss is about with smartphones, but I've never owned one, so can't judge.

Will Samsung overtake Apple as the king of mobile devices?

• My 15+ year old Nokia mobile broke a month ago, so got a cheapo Tesco replacement. I'm a bit behind in tech things now, especially mobile related.:)

Do you use your phone more as a computer, Hoxton? I have to say I really don't know what all the fuss is about with smartphones, but I've never owned one, so can't judge.

Will Samsung overtake Apple as the king of mobile devices?

It's useful for so much I don't know where to start - I suppose the main aspects are keeping in touch with family and friends and also with multiple email accounts. That's basic stuff though. I also use it for note taking, project planning, my company accounts, my timesheets, banking, electrical calcs, photos of course...plus plenty more I've forgotten about...

Not sure about Samsung. Apple are victors when it comes to brand power and that is enough to keep them at the top level even though these days they are lagging behind in technology. Most people in the world are not tech savvy or worried about doing much more than chatting and playing games so the functionality of an iPhone is more than adequate but the brand attraction is extremely strong. Similarly cheapo Chinese phones will do a good enough job for most people. Samsung have done a good job battling away against brand and price, not sure for how long they can keep it up.

• I get all Mr Wing's hand me down phones when he gets new ones because all I need them for is communication if our phone lines go down and to take around with me in case of emergencies and to keep in touch with my brother and his wife for the same reason.

I still have an old Blackberry because I like the fact that it has buttons. I hate touch screens. There is a Samsung waiting for me to take it over but that will mean I have to say goodbye to my Blackberry buttons. I'll have to do this soon, though. Can't afford to get too far behind.

At the mo Mr Wing has an MS Nokia.

• I've had a smart phone for ages but I got an iPhone this year for the first time but it's a model 5 S. It's rarely used as phone and more there as an emergency tool or just a gadget to play with. It comes in handy sometimes but I could live without it.

I do like my toys as my beloved calls them though, iPads, iPods etc. When we go anywhere, I take one of those and my portable Wi-Fi so I can keep myself amused if we have to wait around somewhere and they haven't got Wi-Fi

• Have I mentioned here before that I don't own a smartphone. Nope, I'm smartphone-less, never ever had one. Must be about the only person who doesn't own one in the country. Am I missing out?

I only have a simple Samsung phone. It cost £60 including £10 PAYG pre-loaded about 5 years ago. I also fitted a 4Gb flash card. It does have camera, browser, email client, MP3 player and all the usual stuff but about the most used feature for me is the camera for stills. I did work out how to trans-code videos on the PC to play on the phones media player.

I'm not a phone person, in fact I really hate phones and phone calls on any device. Far too intrusive and disruptive. Text and email tend to be my prefered communication as there's a record of what was said or agreed. IIRC I've only topped it up under a dozen times since I owned it.

Strikes me at the thick end of £1k in the UK (We always have to pay more) people have more money than sense. But then I'm a Sony fan boi, not Apple.^^

Interestingly R4 Today programme this morning was in part from Silicon Valley. They had a tech guru on saying that there's nothing really revolutionary about the new iPhone and it probably isn't worth the $1000 price tag in the states.

• I have a Samsung S7 Edge , wife has a IPhone 7 , i prefer my Samsung , better android OS, nicer to use.

I am not a phone snob , both phones were only purchased at big discounts at Very.co.uk to replaced now very slow and unstable IPhone 4 and 4s phones and to use the 4K video capabilities.

• I have a Samsung S7 Edge , wife has a IPhone 7 , i prefer my Samsung , better android OS, nicer to use.

I am not a phone snob , both phones were only purchased at big discounts at Very.co.uk to replaced now very slow and unstable IPhone 4 and 4s phones and to use the 4K video capabilities.

Will you get the new iphone, Nigel?

• The price of these phones is ridiculous, but if idiots want to waste their money on such things then more fool them, I have a Samsung galaxy something or other but hardly use it didn't buy it as it's one of my kids cast offs from when they upgrade their contract phones.

• My son's girlfriend has always been an Apple fan but is not an iPhone X fan. Reckons it is old technology. I'm not sure about that but it is certainly Apple playing catchup rather than leading the way as they used to.

• New iPhone for a whopping £1100!

Apple has updated its iPhone X handset with three more powerful models, two of which are larger than before.

The iPhone XS Max has a 6.5in (16.5cm) display. The iPhone XS has the same 5.8in-sized component as the original. The iPhone XR's screen is 6.1in but is lower quality.

A new smartwatch was also launched with an added fall-detection function

It's September, which if you're a Apple fan, means it's Christmas come early for you. As someone who has never owned any of this pretentious company's products, I am continually astounded by the hoards who regularly keep paying for these overpriced gadgets. And no doubt, I will be astounded again as the top model in this new range costs over £1k.

What's next, a £2k phone?

A new smartwatch is also being launched too and it has a feature which can monitor your heart and is approved by America's FDA regulator. There is already talk of insurance companies insisting that we all wear these gadgets soon, otherwise we won't get any kind of insurance. I assume that's America, because at least for now we have a NHS in the UK and not run by private health insurance companies, but it is worrying how these "leisure" "fun" gadgets can turn into something else entirely.

So, who's buying one of the new iPhones, or perhaps you fancy their new watch instead?

• No, I won't be buying one. I didn't get a smartphone at all until around 2 to 3 years ago, and I only got that because we had CCTV installed at home and the office. Having a smartphone allows me to view live CCTV or playback earlier recordings. I don't think I would like to go back to my bog standard flip phone which wouldn't even receive text messages, but I'm not a phone addict. I often miss calls and messages because I don't carry it around the house and garden with me, and I certainly don't take it into the bedroom, which I hear many people do.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I do not get this annual phone obsession , people , presumably with mental health issues queueing up to get this year's "must have" gadget , I find this and it's reporting to be a damning indictment of our society. Apple are a appalling company , think your £1000 phone is made in a hi-tech automated plant? , think again , grubby factories in awful conditions is nearer the mark. The fact you cannot change batteries or memory would of killed other companies but not Apple , they seem impervious.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!