Can that drunk, Juncker, please shut his mouth?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The UK will "soon regret" leaving the EU, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has said.

Mr Juncker told the European Parliament that Brexit would be a "sad, tragic" moment for the EU but that the 27-member union would "move on".

Juncker seems to come out with something every week now.

Mr Juncker we are leaving your precious club. As you said yourself, it's time to move on, so please do!

Why can't he just shut it for a second?

• I was hoping he was just a wind bag and the 27 nations would sideline him, but he does seem to represent the EU's opinion of us at that table.

We don't need these types on either side of the negotiations.

• Amen to all that. The man has been threatening us from the moment we voted to leave and is determined to make things as difficult as possible. May needs to realise that all this delaying is giving the EU the upper hand. The nearer we get to Brexit then the more demands they can make.

She needs to take the initiative and tell them that if they don't start doing some serious negotiating soon then we are going to approach other countries with a view to starting trade talks before Brexit whatever the EU say.

• I was hoping he was just a wind bag and the 27 nations would sideline him, but he does seem to represent the EU's opinion of us at that table.

We don't need these types on either side of the negotiations.

He is as good a reflection of a EU technocrat as you can get. As you say, he reflects the EU nations' view of us, at least their collective view. Get those same countries on their own and they sing a different tune.;)

Juncker is just Merkel's puppet.

He would beg to differ of course, but we know that the real orders don't come from Brussels.

Merkel needs to go ...

Talking of which, about to create a very thread on that subject.

She needs to take the initiative and tell them that if they don't start doing some serious negotiating soon then we are going to approach other countries with a view to starting trade talks before Brexit whatever the EU say.

She's doing this speech from Italy soon ramming home the message that we want a close and special relationship withe the EU, but what happens if the EU has other ideas?

We can talk to other countries now about trade deals, just can't enact those deals until Brexit.

• I've no doubt we can do trade deals with countries withing the EU, whats in question is whether imposed tariffs will make us uncompetitive against other EU member states.

I still think restraint on both sides is what is needed.

And is there anyway we could quietly assassinate Nigel Farage. ;)

• And is there anyway we could quietly assassinate Nigel Farage.

:D

Leave Nige alone! Think of the poor sod post Brexit. No more jollies in Brussels' five star hotels and bars. No more EU expense accounts, it will be tough for him.;)

I've no doubt we can do trade deals with countries withing the EU, whats in question is whether imposed tariffs will make us uncompetitive against other EU member states.

I still think restraint on both sides is what is needed.

The flip side to that is we won't have barriers when trading with other countries, unlike the current EU tariffs we have to pay if we want American goods etc.

I think things have been very restrained so far, but I wonder whether it will last. We'll find out in two weeks at the next, delayed, talks.

• The Tariffs are balanced to the Tariffs America charges on goods we sell to them. Both the EU and the U.S are protectionist states.

Personally I think the only way we can survive at our current standard of living is if we are protectionist.

• Michael Portillio, of all people, said something similar last year on BBC's This Week programme.

He couldn't understand the policy of paying unemployment benefit to people while importing cheap goods. Better to have our own people making stuff in this country at a higher price and people being employed, he argued.

• Million and a half is it still? Still a lot.

You mention that America is protectionist Zany, which it is, but it now has a billionaire as its president. Many commentators on our shores think this is a good thing when it comes to talking about a trade deal, I'm not so sure. The rich don't get rich by being fair.

• The Tariffs are balanced to the Tariffs America charges on goods we sell to them. Both the EU and the U.S are protectionist states.

Personally I think the only way we can survive at our current standard of living is if we are pprotectionist.

Probably right. I prefer free trade but our competitors are mostly protectionist so I suppose we have to follow suit.

• Indeed Hoxton.

The single most critical reason I had for voting remain was that I think we are to small to stand alone against China. We can try to be protectionist alone but its much harder.

Like Bob's shop trying to act like Tesco.

Million and a half is it still? Still a lot

Its generally recognised that unemployment cannot get below 3 or 4 %. That's because the redundant school teacher in Birmingham cannot take the digger drivers job in Bristol. Plus the number of people who are only unemployed for a few months, show up on the figures but are in fact a rolling number of different people.

• Interesting what you say about the unemployment figures, Zanygame, didn't know that.

On your corner shop comparison to Tescos, yes, but China already has a massive market, itself. It's population is so vast, that the EU and America combined into a single market wouldn't match it.

I know all the commentators keep saying tat the Chinese will take over everything, but like other large countries, the Chinese are very insular and inward looking and prefer trading with themselves rather than others.

On your corner shop comparison to Tescos, yes, but China already has a massive market, itself. It's population is so vast, that the EU and America combined into a single market wouldn't match it.

But the money is in Europe and America. China has got rich off that.

Anyway, it wouldn't matter if China stopped selling into the EU, indeed that would help the balance of payments.

The advantage the EU has got (And America) is that they are so big a customer that the world can't afford to challenge them. Thus if they say they say they will charge 20% tax on your goods you can't retaliate.

Same applies to India etc.

Also equally importantly, it applies to the big corporates. Our government had to negotiate with Google over their tax regime. The EU told Amazon they were being fined, like it or not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!