German Elections 2017. Will Merkel win?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Will Angela Merkel win the German elections? 5

1. Yes (3) 60%
    2. No (0) 0%
    3. Don't know (0) 0%
    4. Dont care (2) 40%

If the polls are right, Angela Merkel is heading for four more years at the top in Germany. But when Germans vote on 24 September, far more is at stake than one of the biggest jobs in Europe.

For the first time since World War Two, six parties are expected to enter the Bundestag, including a group of right-wing nationalists.

The telegraph said yesterday, that after faltering for most of the election, the German far right party AFD is gaining in the polls. Are they a serious challenge to Merkel?

I reckon she will win. When I say will, I know they have coalition governments, but she'll be the one leading it.

Is this good or bad for Britain during our current Brexit talks with the EU?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• She needs to go, but turkeys voting for Christmas will put her back in.

Her election shouldn't affect Brexit. If the British want Brexit, they need to be very gung-ho about getting it.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I think she'll win but I hope AFD make a good showing so as to frighten all the left wing parties in the rest of Europe and terrify Juncker and Barnier into being more reasonable.

• She needs to go, but turkeys voting for Christmas will put her back in.

Her election shouldn't affect Brexit. If the British want Brexit, they need to be very gung-ho about getting it.

I think it's a case of better the devil you know here. I'd rather her, than someone unknown.

I think she'll win but I hope AFD make a good showing so as to frighten all the left wing parties in the rest of Europe and terrify Juncker and Barnier into being more reasonable.

In some ways I agree with that, but do we really want a far right party to start growing in popularity in Germany, baring in mind their history?

• Why are those voting for Merkel assumed to be "Turkeys voting for Christmas" Instead of equally intelligent people with a different view of the EU.

Apart from being insulting, I think it is dangerous to assume that the 'silent majority' think like Brexit Brits do.

My experience is that they strongly support the idea of a European Union, that they recognise is faults and weaknesses, but strive to fix them rather than walk away.

• Independence isn't walking away, but that's just my opinion.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• My experience is that they strongly support the idea of a European Union, that they recognise is faults and weaknesses, but strive to fix them rather than walk away.

I think that is still the predominate view among Germans today, I agree, but the opening up of the borders to allow a million Syrian refugees in, has caused a shift in some German's thinking. We'll just need to see how that plays out. When you have things like that mass rape on Christmas in Frankfurt by a load of immigrants on German women, that is pushing more Germans to the far right.

For the time being, I think most Germans will stick with Merkel. Germans don't like to change their leaders, unless they have to. In fact, they don't really like change at all and prefer the status quo.

• I know a million refugees sounds like a big number, but in reality it increases the population of the EU by 0.2%

I don't think it was the best decision she's made, but having let Syria get to the state it has and not even providing enough aid to put the refugees up in neighbouring Iraq, the result was almost inevitable.

Do Germans recognise this?

• We'll find out in one week what the Germans think. I'm not expecting any surprises here.

• Why are those voting for Merkel assumed to be "Turkeys voting for Christmas" Instead of equally intelligent people with a different view of the EU.

Apart from being insulting, I think it is dangerous to assume that the 'silent majority' think like Brexit Brits do.

My experience is that they strongly support the idea of a European Union, that they recognise is faults and weaknesses, but strive to fix them rather than walk away.

The idea of the European Union, as Juncker implied with his calls for ever more integration, is an EU superstate. It's not a good idea under any circumstances in my opinion beyond that of trade and a common market. Which is what we started with.

• Yes I know your position Morgan. I was questioning the assumptions being made about the German people.

Myself, having read Boris's lastest piece, I am more inclined toward Brexit than I was.

• Yes I know your position Morgan. I was questioning the assumptions being made about the German people.

Myself, having read Boris's lastest piece, I am more inclined toward Brexit than I was.

I'm very pleased to hear it. For complete conversion to the faith watch this from the start.;)

• Well, no real surprise here that Merkel has won, given her the largest amount of seats in the German parliament, but the real story is the rise of the AFD.

For the first time since Hitler, a far right party is back in "some" power. Will that power grow?

Once (if!!!) we leave the EU, the burden of funding it all will fall mainly on Germany. Will German taxpayers be happy with that, or can we expect to see more Germans voting for the AFD in the future?

• The vote for the AFD shows that despite Le Pen's lack of impact in France the right wing is still alive on the continent. And once they become more acceptable and people feel they can express their opinions freely, they will grow.

• The vote for the AFD shows that despite Le Pen's lack of impact in France the right wing is still alive on the continent. And once they become more acceptable and people feel they can express their opinions freely, they will grow.

What did it was that mass rape in Cologne on Christmas Day of many German women. To begin with the authorities said it was just German youth, it turned out to be all immigrants from mostly;y the Middle East. This coming after Merkel invited the Syrian refugees to her country as a way to pay for current German pensions, causing chaos on the continent as a result.

It's been notable on AFD election posters that the posters have said "we can make our own babies" or words to that effect, rather than importing people.

Frau Merkel is wounded now, will the same suspects lambasting Mrs May now turn on her in our press?

She got elected again, for the fourth time, so not that wounded.

As for out press, or those that use the press, lets see what happens with Brexit. But Merkel is going to be busy with German affairs for the time being, so I'm not sure what interest Brexit has for her in the immediate weeks ahead. Not that our press needs any reason to start on someone, they'll do that anyway.

• she got 32% of the vote , hardly a resounding success, she will need to do a lot of deals with new partners who will play hard ball , she is certainly wounded in my opinion.

• 32% is hardly something to shout about, true. Lets see how Merkel and the AFD get on.

• Do we think Mrs May will outlast Mrs Merkel.

We might recover from May - I am not sure Germany will ever recover from Merkel?

• I think Merkel will outlast May, but Germans are tiring of her politics, not that this has stopped Merkel from winning a fourth term.