Voters to be asked for ID in trials of system to combat electoral fraud

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Voters in five local authorities will need to show ID before they can vote in local elections next May, in a move aimed at combating voter fraud but which Labour and the Liberal Democrats have warned could disenfranchise thousands of people.

Voters in Woking, Gosport, Bromley, Watford and Slough will be asked to show ID at polling stations before being issued with a ballot paper, but the five local authorities are likely to trial a variety of systems, including showing photo ID or providing polling cards where individual barcodes could be scanned.

The Cabinet Office and Electoral Commission said details were still being finalised of what photo ID would be required, as well as a system involving non-photo ID, but both would be trialled to see which was more effective and efficient.

https://www.theguardian.com/po…ystem-to-combat-electoral

A long overdue reform in my opinion. There have been cases of vote rigging in many cities including London and Birmingham. Vote rigging in general and council elections was hardly if ever heard of up until a few years ago. And unfortunately it has be said the instigators and very often people resident here but who originally came from countries where vote rigging is prevalent. Tower Hamlets in London being a typical example a couple of years ago.

"Election fraud has been allowed to take place in Muslim communities because of “political correctness”, a major report finds as it calls for unprecedented reforms to the British voting system.

In a report commissioned by the Government, Sir Eric Pickles the former Conservative Cabinet minister, today warns that the authorities are in a “state of denial” and are “turning a blind eye” to election fraud."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new…muslim-communities-becau/

• So what would be the accepted form of ID?

Passport or Drivers licence I assume which is fine if everyone has them, I have neither and neither does my wife, and I can think of at least 5 other family members that don't either.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• If this became commonplace I would assume that as part of completing the electoral register entry that the local authority could issue an accepted form of ID to those who are registered.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I think its a good idea.

I see no reason to let illegal residents or voters have a say in how we run the country. And nothing to fear for legal voters.

• So what would be the accepted form of ID?

Passport or Drivers licence I assume which is fine if everyone has them, I have neither and neither does my wife, and I can think of at least 5 other family members that don't either.

I know I'm going to have bricks thrown at me here, but I was in favour of Labour's ID card scheme which Blair almost brought in. They had spent the money on the system and had all the computers and database up and running. It shouldn't have been scrapped by Cameron.

I think its a good idea if you are asked to show ID when voting, but as per Ron's question, which ID?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I know I'm going to have bricks thrown at me here

No of course not. Just two applied strategically.^^

My objection to such a card was not the ID card pre-se but the fact that just about any public servant would be entitled to demand to see it at any time together with the amount of information linked to it. Images of the Gestapo: "Your papers pleeez" and then being marched off to clink.

We've had too many laws bought in to deal with threats being abused by those in authority and far too many authorities being able to use/abuse them.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• But councils and companies have so much data on us anyway, Christ knows how much data Google has us on from our web searches to wifi passwords, that I'm not too concerned about Blair's Orwellian ID scheme.

Look inside your wallet. Credit cards, bank cards, store cards, medical/library/council cards perhaps.

Blair's scheme never required the compulsive carrying of ID cards. What everyone was having a hissy fit over was the database. A centralised database.

Having had one hell of a time a once upon a time opening a bank account (I don't drive and didn't then have a passport) I would welcome a ID card scheme brought back.

When I vote. You say your name and that's it. A few times, my name had been wrongly crossed off the voter's list as the electoral officers had crossed off my name instead of family members who had voted earlier. That's just mistakes. But imagine the "mischief" that can be caused without proper ID.

Charles Clarke was on tv just before the politicians summer break and he was talking about "his" scheme and he regretted it got scrapped. I have to say, I agreed with him.

• I remember a time when going to vote you were asked for to show the card that had been sent through the post, now they no longer ask for that, yet they now want to introduce being asked for ID to prevent fraud.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I remember a time when going to vote you were asked for to show the card that had been sent through the post, now they no longer ask for that, yet they now want to introduce being asked for ID to prevent fraud.

Yes. I would have thought they could have brought back showing and then the polling station retaining the polling cards as a first step. Although nowadays they'd need to be shredded in front of the voter to avoid any suspicion of wrongdoing by the authorities or conspiracy theories by the public. Of course it wouldn't stop fraud in itself but it would help.

• Seems unnecessarily costly to me. I would like to see online voting.

Well that would lead to a gigantic amount of fraud and probably a total disaster. Can you imaging hackers getting into the system on polling day?

• Seems unnecessarily costly to me. I would like to see online voting.

I think we had a thread about that somewhere, but I am in favour of it.

It's getting to a time now, when most people have computers and are online, apart from a certain amount of people over 60 and even more past their 70s, so they need to be catered for.

Otherwise, it would be a far more efficient method than have hundreds (perhaps thousands) of polling stations up and down the country.