Has Boris just started his campaign to become PM?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Boris Johnson has insisted he is "all behind" Theresa May after setting out his own vision of Britain after Brexit.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, the foreign secretary revived the contested claim Brexit could free up £350m a week for the NHS and also said the UK should not pay for EU single market access.

We've spoke about this before and there's been numerous election and other threads on what would happen after summer in regards to whether May would stay in her job, one of the threads is here: Let Theresa May stay at No 10 for the summer, top Tories tell MPs. Well, summer is over! Let the games begin.

Perhaps Boris is just making a nice innocent Brexit statement, one week before May's, but this is Boris....;) So, is this the first salvo he's letting off to get the top job?

Remember when he pulled out of the leadership contest and how disappointed and in some cases, angry, Conservative MPs were. Would they go though all of that again to back him, or has he given up his chance for the top job forever?

I wonder what May thinks of his Telegraph article. According to the BBC, she was unaware of it prior to its publication.

• I don't personally think May has the image and personality for a tough Brexit term of office. What is needed is the Farage approach. "We want it and we want it now."

The EU clerics will quail before a powerful British voice for Brexit. They quail when a mouse farts, so a strong Brexit leader will go a long way to squishing their endlessly irritating warbling about how dreadful everything is going to be and their equally endless foam rubber threats.

• I'm very disappointed in May's messing about. She should realise that she has the power to wreck the Tory Party if she resigns as PM because there would be so much infighting. One has only to look at the farce of the last Tory leadership battle.

She needs to tell Boris and the rest of them that either they back her 100% until the job's done or she's going to ride off into the sunset.

• I don't personally think May has the image and personality for a tough Brexit term of office. What is needed is the Farage approach. "We want it and we want it now."

The EU clerics will quail before a powerful British voice for Brexit. They quail when a mouse farts, so a strong Brexit leader will go a long way to squishing their endlessly irritating warbling about how dreadful everything is going to be and their equally endless foam rubber threats.

Don't give Farage any ideas, he hasn't gone away...:)

I think she comes across as weak, but I think in the negotiations we have been strong, hence the current en pass and delay in the next round of talks.

I'm very disappointed in May's messing about. She should realise that she has the power to wreck the Tory Party if she resigns as PM because there would be so much infighting. One has only to look at the farce of the last Tory leadership battle.

She needs to tell Boris and the rest of them that either they back her 100% until the job's done or she's going to ride off into the sunset.

Speculation on the Sunday morning politics programmes that she might sack him in the next week. The papers were saying last night, that's exactly what he wants.

It's not as if this country has anything important on at the moment....just what we need is all this "game" playing.

• Of course it could be that we negotiate from such a position of weakness that no one can bring home the bacon the public expects.

Especially when such outrageous promises were made of what the EU would cede to us.

May seems to be trying to kick the can down the road again now, anything rather than open it.

Boris is back to making the ridiculous promises the flag wavers so want.

Do I think its a run for office, Oh yes!

• Theresa May has attempted to reassert her authority after Boris Johnson set out his own vision for Brexit.

Asked about the foreign secretary's newspaper article, which sparked accusations of "backseat driving", the PM told journalists: "This government is driven from the front."

"We are all going to the same destination," she added.

Boris has just arrived at the UN before May gets there later today. He was beaming....

I said I thought May would last until conference season, then it would be open season. Looks now open season maybe about to start.

• If she can't hold it, then she must give over to whoever can. Brexit has to happen or Britain will lose credibility and prove itself to be the victim of left leaning sentiment on the big tent, the big Germany and a future of servitude to EU power.

• If she can't hold it, then she must give over to whoever can. Brexit has to happen or Britain will lose credibility and prove itself to be the victim of left leaning sentiment on the big tent, the big Germany and a future of servitude to EU power.

And therein lies the problem. Who can? Boris? No. He may be popular among the blue rinse brigade and a few back benchers but people have seen what a mess he's made of London when he was mayor. As one taxi driver put it "He's done more damage to London than the Luftwaffe." What with his garden bridges and cycle lanes costing millions instead of homes, he'd make a useless PM.

Apart from which I think he would go back to being a remainer, which he always was and stop Brexit or delay it so long it would be impossible. He only switched to leave because he saw it as an opportunity to oust Cameron.

I think May should sack him and be done with it. There is an old saying an American politician used about someone like him "I'd sooner have him inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in." Well Boris is inside the tent pissing in.

• I don't like May, I've always said that, but Boris as PM? No thanks. We really, really, don't need this crap at such a crucial time. He decided to step down from the leadership contest and that should be it.

A reporter on Sky News this morning was saying that Boris is behaving the exactly the same way as when Cameron was PM and "trying" to get us a good deal with the EU. He said that as Boris disagreed with Cameron, he started firing off articles in the Telegraph.

I don't think it's just a question of credibility, LW, but democracy. We voted by a majority to leave the EU.

I agree with Morgan here that Boris was always pro EU and he only switched as he saw his opportunity to get the top job. Can the British people see through his act? Probably. But that hasn't stopped them for voting for an actor before!:(

Every time, I see Boris smirking over the last few days, I see another smirking face, that of Corbyn. The hard left thought, as I did and stated here, that Corbyn had zero chance to ever get into Downing Street. Boris' games may just open No 10 for Corbyn and his IRA/Hamas sympathising chums.

If May was anything like Thatcher, she would've sacked Boris by now and unfortunately that is what Boris is gambling on, her weakness. The Tory backbenchers will see her hesitance and weakness and will not like it. We know what happens next...

• Of course it could be that we negotiate from such a position of weakness that no one can bring home the bacon the public expects.

Especially when such outrageous promises were made of what the EU would cede to us.

May seems to be trying to kick the can down the road again now, anything rather than open it.

Boris is back to making the ridiculous promises the flag wavers so want.

Do I think its a run for office, Oh yes!

How can the UK ever be in a position of 'weakness', wrt negotiating Brexit??

Despite many people denying it, but the meaning of Brexit is literally exiting the EU!!

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the subsequent trade deal that will be agreed - but, if it does entail remaining a member of the Single Market, as brainless Corbyn and Cable wish, then clearly, the referendum result will NOT have been honoured.

There is a huge difference between having 'access' to the Single Market , ( as many countries have - without having to subsidise it), and being a member of it - and I don't believe the ' bankrupt ' EU can afford to continue with their Imperial ambition as readily as they can without the largesse of their second highest subsidiser.....so the UK taxpayer will save on no longer having to fund that ridiculous 'fee', and food will become cheaper out of the fatuous "benefit -for - the - French CAP" .....

Brexit is clearly an advantageous situation for the U.K., ( other than for the relatively few UK/ EU dealers), so I fail to perceive to where this claimed 'weakness' lies.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!