Has Boris just started his campaign to become PM?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Personally, I prefer to believe that he was merely using an opportunity to again 'state his case', which wasn't as controversial as some believe, in that it largely echoed what May had stated in a January speech. I don't believe that it was an attempt to usurp May - albeit, like many senior Tory MPs, he obviously realises that May's position as Party leader is not as secure as she would like.

I don't believe Boris would command sufficient Party support to become leader if May stepped down - he undoubtedly, despite his obvious intelligence, warrants the epithet of Buffoon!

No doubt he would throw his hat into the ring if a new Party leader was to be elected , but I wouldn't consider him one of the favourites

• I can't link to the Sunday TImes article as its a premium one, but although it has a headline grabber "Revealed: plot by cabinet's big four to seize May's crown," the article is not talking about now, but is in effect an advert for a political book about the last election.

Basically when May lost the conservative majority, everyone assumed she would resign and Hammond said he would support Boris to take over, Davis scoffed at that and wanted the top job himself and all the others were lining up behind Rudd, including Cameron, Major and Ruth Davidson.

I'll need to check what the other articles have said, but I've only just come in.

• No doubt he would throw his hat into the ring if a new Party leader was to be elected , but I wouldn't consider him one of the favourites

I don't know if you saw the weekend political shows, but the American pollster, Frank Lutz, was on one of them and he did one of his polls with a survey group. Like you, the servery group didn't vote for Boris as their favourite either. David Davis won it with Reece-Mogg as second choice for new PM.

• Well, Boris just made his speech and as always it was very good and humorous. But, if I was a younger person with all the problems that exist in the country today, would I prefer Boris and his jokes or Corbyn and his solutions, as he sees them, to the problems? In all honesty, with no experience of the hard left, I would go for Corbyn because Boris offers no solutions, just great jokes and stories.

Notable that May was not in the conference room when Boris made his speech. She makes her speech tomorrow, but after the standing ovation that Boris just got, I think we've just turned a page on May's premiership. She would be wise to resign, before she gets knifed and they won't even do it into her back, it'll be a frontal assault.

• Boris Johnson has said it is time to "let the British lion roar" as he called for Brexit to be a moment of national renewal.

The foreign secretary told Tory activists the UK "can win the future" and should stop treating the referendum result as if it were "plague of boils".

The above link is the official story on Boris' speech, lots of mention on Brexit and global trade, but not much else.

The other link about what May thinks about this is here:

Theresa May says she has not been undermined by Boris Johnson's recent interventions on Brexit, saying she does not want a cabinet of "yes men".

The prime minister said the foreign secretary's vision of Brexit reflected the government's approach.

If May genuinely thinks that Boris isn't out to get her, then she's either blind or stupid. Either way, I don't she'll be PM by Christmas.

• Somebody like May would always be bothered by something like that, otherwise why bother becoming PM in the first place?

I remember her face on election night as it became apparent that she not only didn't increase Cameron's majority, but lost it, and all her smugness was gone. What else was she to do, call another election, or stand down right after the election?

The conservative conference has a smell of someone confident and they like it, but unlike the current PM, Boris is lazy as hell and couldn't care less about details, but perhaps if he got a good number 2 man as deputy PM to do the actual work, things may work out.

I don't think we'll have to wait too long before someone makes a move against May. If they do, rather than fight, she should just step aside, but I don't reckon that's her character.

• Boris Johnson has said Libyan city Sirte could be the new Dubai, adding, "all they have to do is clear the dead bodies away".

The foreign secretary's comments at a Conservative conference fringe meeting have sparked anger, with Labour calling them "crass, callous and cruel".

If anyone needed proof that Boris is going for the top job, I offer this BBC story tonight as evidence.

Boris is always gaffe prone, so it's a non-story, except all the speculation surrounding Boris' leadership aspirations.

The BBC believe he's a contender for the top job. I'm sure the guardian and others will follow with this story. If those in the media are putting this rubbish out, they must believe he is a contender and are starting their smear campaign against him.

• Somebody like May would always be bothered by something like that, otherwise why bother becoming PM in the first place?

I remember her face on election night as it became apparent that she not only didn't increase Cameron's majority, but lost it, and all her smugness was gone. What else was she to do, call another election, or stand down right after the election?

The conservative conference has a smell of someone confident and they like it, but unlike the current PM, Boris is lazy as hell and couldn't care less about details, but perhaps if he got a good number 2 man as deputy PM to do the actual work, things may work out.

I don't think we'll have to wait too long before someone makes a move against May. If they do, rather than fight, she should just step aside, but I don't reckon that's her character.

Yes, maybe she's not so keen any more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!