Sir Teddy Taylor dies aged 80

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The former Conservative MP and ardent Eurosceptic Sir Teddy Taylor has died aged 80, his family said.

Sir Teddy had been ill for some months and passed away at Southend Hospital on Wednesday, his wife Sheila Taylor said.

He first entered Parliament as MP for Glasgow Cathcart in 1964 and became MP for Southend East in 1979.

Sad news here.

I remember his debates well in the Commons and he always stuck to his guns. If there had been more MPs like him we wouldn't have joined the mess that was Europe and we wouldn't be in the kind of mess this country is in with the likes of uncontrolled immigration and massive debt.

At least he lived long enough to see the British people vote leave. That must have given him a chuckle.

RIP Sir Teddy.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• At least he lived long enough to see the British people vote leave. That must have given him a chuckle.

At least he lived long enough to see it.

RIP Sir Teddy.

Isn't it about time Ken Clarke snuffed it?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• The amount of cigars he smokes and with his waistline, who knows.

I respect Clarke's views, just wholly disagree with them.

• At least he lived long enough to see it.

RIP Sir Teddy.

Isn't it about time Ken Clarke snuffed it?

I am glad Teresa Gorman lived to see the leave vote too.

They did give John Major the run around over Maastricht. Only BIll Cash really left now.

As for Clarkey - surely it's time he retired.

• Teresa Gorman was a great MP and used to be based not a million miles from me.

PS: Welcome to the site, martin. :):thumbup:If you get a chance, please introduce yourself to everyone in our welcome thread.

• I think Maastricht was a demonstration as to how weak politicians are post Thatcher. Can you imagine her just willingly signing away our sovereignty? The back stabbing Tory bastards got their own way in the end. Without Maastricht we would not be in the Brexit mess we are in now.

• When all those Brexit/referendum programmes were on last year, I'm sure there was a BBC programme that said that Maastricht was voted through in one evening without any debate? That can't be possibly be right, can it?

Don't forget wizzy, she said no, no no, but signed every European treaty put in front of her. She was very pro-European to begin with, until she got to know them a little.:)

• When all those Brexit/referendum programmes were on last year, I'm sure there was a BBC programme that said that Maastricht was voted through in one evening without any debate? That can't be possibly be right, can it?

Don't forget wizzy, she said no, no no, but signed every European treaty put in front of her. She was very pro-European to begin with, until she got to know them a little.:)

Oh, I don't deny that she was pro-European, but she was also extremely very patriotic. She would only ever sign treaties if Britain was given concessions. She got us the rebate, she got us the veto, she got us the exemptions to certain regulations that all following PM's have just accepted instead of fighting for. And, she devised the single market as a means to benefit Britain. She would not approve of the size and power that the EU has had since 2000.

I can't imagine any PM since her putting up the fight for our concessions in a way she did. Teddy Taylor and Teresa Gorman were true Thatcherites.

• If we hadn't had that rebate, we would've have paid far more than anyone else, including Germany. The Europeans really tried to screw us over that matter and that should've been the red flag to say that the EC (EU to be) was not in our interests.

France has wonderful food, there was a programme on earlier with James Martin going around the country. They have something like 100 cheeses' and wines per region, all subsided by EU money. Brexit will allow us to stop subsiding French farmers and the very nice foods our continental friends eat. If they want multiple choices of produce, they should pay for it themselves. When/if they ever have to, the bulk of their agriculturcal industry will go bust as its so inefficient. Time to look after ourselves.

• Going to have to say I have never heard of him and leave it at that, please don't mistake this for interest in him and wanting to know about him as it's not.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.