When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • How amazing. The yolk looks a bit dull coloured.

Humans need a certain amount of animal fats and protein. Dogs are being turned into vegetarians as well, but dogs are 100% carnivore so a veggie diet for dogs is dangerous.

We live in rather mad times and I do sympathise with those who do not want to kill anything but if they hate killing they really must do something about humans who have dedicated their lives to nuclear destruction and who use their soldiers, their citizens, and even their believers, as cannon fodder.

That is far worse than eating an egg.

• Fascinating, Ron.:thumbup:

We've already spoken synthetic meat before, some threads about it are here and here, but I have never heard of veggie eggs before.

I rather like eggs, so I hope the normal variety will still be around for a while to come, but we are entering the age of synthetic meat products and perhaps one day people won't eat meat or meat by-products anymore.

• Err, if it wasn't September 22nd, I'd think it was April Fool's Day. I remember the furore of the miniscule amount of animal fat in the new £5 note last year. I advised vegans to spend the money, not eat it. Out of interest, I wonder if vegan's have really healthy bowels?

• No idea wizzywick, but if meat free/synthetic products can be sold in the future which are affordable to me, I will eat them.

To be honest, I'd eat anything if I had to. It's either that or die. I am not against GM foods either. The synthetic egg though just sounds so wrong. And, dare I ask, why?

• Perhaps they might not even call it a egg. Up to now, all synthetic meat, has been that, meat but grown if it were a vegetable and of course no living creature is involved. I'm not sure what the point of this egg is either. Plus, If these eggs aren't dairy, what do we use for baking in the future?

Another issue is the creators are refusing to say what legume they are using. Presumably, if this product was sold in the UK, by law it would have to state its ingredients and, all of these synthetic products contain lots of salt.

• Yeah the bit about the "unspecified legume" does seem a bit dodgy.

Also how can a laboratory created from over processed vegetables fake egg be more healthy than say a naturally produced free range egg from a certified farm?

• I'm hoping this particularly crazy fad era we are in will pass some time soon. It's becoming boring in its stupidity and matches the loony social philosophies that go with it.

• I'm hoping this particularly crazy fad era we are in will pass some time soon. It's becoming boring in its stupidity and matches the loony social philosophies that go with it.

This is the result of over invention. What on earth can we invent or create anymore that could be of any use? We progressed too quickly and for what? A slightly faster iPhone? A combine harvester that harvests on its own but still needs a human to supervise its activity? Artificial tomatoes because real ones are just not interesting enough? Why don't they try and grow real new limbs that would be of great benefit to those who need them rather than inventing bullshit that doesn't need inventing anyway?

• Yeah the bit about the "unspecified legume" does seem a bit dodgy.

I have a friend who is very allergic to pea, and its extracts/products. He has to be very careful about checking ingredients. I want to know exactly what is in the food I eat.

• Think I'd still want "real" meat but I suppose if the price is right people will buy it.:/

• Think I'd still want "real" meat but I suppose if the price is right people will buy it.:/

We have a thread somewhere on lab grown meat, but can't find it at the moment, but basically I'm all for it.:)

Once prices come down, this will bring to a end the slaughter of millions of animals and save the environmental cost too.

Freaky, nah, but yummy remains to be seen with this stuff.

• I'm torn two ways. Yes, it would prevent the slaughter of billions of animals each year, but then we'd have no farm animals in the fields, and those cattle/sheep/etc. that would be kept on 'rare breed' or 'museum' farms would need to be guarded day and night as 'real meat' would become a very expensive luxury and attractive to criminals.

I know farm animals have a very short life, but then so do most wild animals. Some farm animals and zoo kept animals have a life span far exceeding anything that can be achieved in the wild.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• For me that's a easy one Fidget. I'd rather see less animals in the wild, than all the multitudes that currently get killed. It will change our landscape as "wild" spaces are nothing of the sort as domesticated animals have grazed on the land for thousands of years shaping the look of our green and pleasant land, but so be it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!