Saudi Arabia to allow women to drive

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • A young boy was taken into custody there a while ago for dancing in the street. Apparently he was being protected for his own safety or some such rubbish. Brave kid. Now his mothers, sisters, aunties and fellow humans can drive. Maybe they will all be able to dance as well some day. Best wishes, Saudi people!

• I think the celebrations maybe premature.

If the Saudis (the actual House of Saud) had their way, the country would've been a far more liberal place than what it is, but they did their deal with the devil. That deal still stands today. Hope I'm wrong, but I'd expect a backlash to this.

• It's the younger guy, can't remember his name, who will be King next who's made this happen. In my redtop there's speculation that this story has been released in order to deflect criticism of the Saudies for their role in the conflict in Yemen.

Did somebody mention parallel parking? :/

• It's the younger guy, can't remember his name, who will be King next who's made this happen. In my redtop there's speculation that this story has been released in order to deflect criticism of the Saudies for their role in the conflict in Yemen.

That's interesting. I will read that Sun story myself. What is happening in Yemen is disgusting, I will create a thread about Yemen soon as it's one of the biggest human catastrophes of modern times and barely gets a mention in the media.

• The electric car is going to do more to make certain people rethink their alliances and warlike behaviour than anything else. Independence is the key. Alliances are fine but if they aren't negotiated from a strong position of independence they simply amount to nodding and waving and hoping you don't get run over by some imperial entity with a really big truck.

• Saudi women are officially allowed to get behind the wheel, after a decades-old driving ban was lifted.

The change was announced last September and Saudi Arabia issued the first licences to women earlier this month.

It was the only country left in the world where women could not drive and families had to hire private chauffeurs for female relatives.

However, the move comes amid an intensified crackdown on activists who campaigned for the right to drive.

Well, congratulations to the Saudi women, but as I said earlier in this thread, I still think there maybe a backlash. The country is extremely conservative and doesn't like change, espcially when it concerns its female citizens.

• On a serious note, if the women have to be fully veiled, that could be dangerous.

Saudi Arabia has a long way to go on women's rights and I'm suspicious whether this is a genuine move to improve things for women, or simply a PR move to improve the country's image abroad.

• Saudi Arabia 'launches wave of arrests' over rights support

Saudi Arabia has detained at least seven people, including two dual US-Saudi citizens, over their links to women's rights activists, reports say.

Those arrested are reportedly not frontline activists, but writers and bloggers who have discussed reform.

As I said earlier in this thread, those who think Saudi Arabia may become some liberal beacon in the Middle East, maybe a little premature here as this story illustrates.

• Fortunately, I was born in the UK. I feel full sympathy for the women who live there but wonder what they could really do, without risking life or limb. I think I'd probably be rebellious enough to risk it though. Better a quick death than lifelong servitude and second class citizenship.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Saudi arms sales: Court of Appeal demands review

Campaigners have won a legal challenge at the Court of Appeal over the UK government's decision to allow arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT) argued the decision to continue to license military equipment for export to the Gulf state was unlawful.

It said there was a clear risk the arms might be used in a serious violation of international humanitarian law.

Jamal Khashoggi killing: Saudi crown prince 'should face investigation'

There is credible evidence that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and other high-level officials are individually liable for the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a UN expert says.

A report by special rapporteur Agnes Callamard says the evidence merits further investigation by an independent and impartial international inquiry.

Saudi agents killed the journalist inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

As Little Wing said earlier in this thread, electric cars will change the dynamics in Saudi Arabia and the wider region as a whole, as the world gradually weans itself off oil, so where does that leave the West's relationship with this country?

It's de facto ruler is a killer, according to international authorities and yet the West is still selling this country arms why Saudi Arabia in turn uses these arms against civilians in Yemen and uses the proceeds from oil sales to fund extremist mosques all over the world.

Do we keep pretending that the Saudis are our friends and allies, or are we are the cusp of a change of direction here?

• Will we ever wean ourselves off oil? I doubt it. It isn't just used to fuel cars.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• But if over the next 20-30 years the bulk of vehicles become electric, that will change the real politik of the Middle East immensely.

I can't see it happening so quickly, but then ... I suppose (at the time) they said horses would never be replaced by the steam engine/combustion engine. :)

• The new age of non fossil fuel power is almost upon humanity. Hang in there ... It will save the west at least from all this Islam genuflection and immigration appeasement. And thus will it also be ta-ta to the cultural Marxists and all their gob*****.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!