The Health forum.

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • There are some seriously interesting topics on here. I wish I'd joined sooner instead of wasting months on an American board and effing Twitter.

There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

People are far more more likely to believe a lie if they want it to be the truth.

• There are some seriously interesting topics on here. I wish I'd joined sooner instead of wasting months on an American board and effing Twitter.

I only wish I had more time, as I'm interested in lots of stuff and especially science topics get ignored. Please create new threads on stuff, if you can't find an exiting topic on a subject.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I only wish I had more time, as I'm interested in lots of stuff and especially science topics get ignored. Please create new threads on stuff, if you can't find an exiting topic on a subject.

I considered posting one about when it was thought I had high blood pressure, and the experiences I went through until I lost a lot of weight (I was a carer at the time, and hadn't been able to exercise for about 4-5 years), and - bottom line - I didn't have chronic BP, and I obviously don't need any medications at all now. But one of the medications at the time had a serious side effect which, if any member here is on the specific one I'm talking about, then by learning about my experiences could save them a lot of suffering. Getting pressed for time now, but briefly - I was prescribed an ACE inhibitor; it worked, but after quite a few weeks I started coughing, and it became so bad (at night especially), and the intervening time frame meant I didn't make the connection, and by then I was approaching the stage of becoming unable to do the caring on so little sleep. Thankfully though, when I couldn't take it any more, one of my great team of GP's called up my computer record, spotted I was on the ACE inhibitors, told me to stop taking them, and literally within 24 hours, the cough had gone. That's the kind of info which can be very useful to someone in a similar predicament to myself, if not for themselves then for someone they know.

People are far more more likely to believe a lie if they want it to be the truth.

• Ramipril?

It was a long time ago so I don't remember was it was called. I've just Googled ACE inhibitors and they all end in 'pril', but I didn't recognise the one I had out of all those which were listed; all I do remember is that it didn't end in 'pril'.

• "‘I have an illness. I’ve accepted that’: Paul Merson opens up on his depression"

https://www.theguardian.com/fo…ession-gambling-addiction

Since when did an addiction become a mental health issue?

Mental health includes illnesses or conditions that are not self induced such as bi-polar disorder but in my view not those acquired by choice

My next door neighbours father who lives with them is an alcoholic, and they get paid carers allowance for looking after him

If They Can Do It So Can I

• All of a sudden, some few years back - every weird behaviour was labelled - Bi Polar - ADHD - or Aspergers!!

This whole labeling thing shot up out of nowhere. In my time on Parole Board Hearings all of a sudden one of these labels was appended to "reasons", "excuses" for a particular behaviour.

Of course now you can call yourself a Vegan... sits back in amazement.

But, you are right in your last comment. I do get what you mean.

• The latest fad condition is Autism. Only the best social media stars have Autism now. In fact they are suggesting it's the new big thing for saving the world. (Not joking. Clown world.)

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Aspergers has a special place now, thanks to Greta ability to 'see' CO2. :D

The human race is breeding itself into extinction by 'normalising' defects and using science to overcome genetic defects which will be passed onto future generations ... unless the future NHS and private patients can afford genetic manipulation for all, or many.

In nature, only the strong and those who can adapt to a changing environment survive. That's how species survive. In humans, weakness is seen as a passport to fame and loads of dosh and sympathy being pushed your way (for some). Eventually, if we continue on the current pathway, the majority of modern humans will not survive without massive medical and scientific intervention. The only survivors to thrive will be those from far flung tribes who are not part of the 'modern world'. Maybe that is what will 'save' the world?

I did warn everyone I have a very vivid imagination. :whistling:

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Eventually, if we continue on the current pathway, the majority of modern humans will not survive without massive medical and scientific intervention.

You only have to look at the massive rise in cesarean sections to see where we're heading. Soon the only way for reproduction is with medical intervention. Post apocalypse most humans will die without reproducing.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Yay :evil:

By the way, does Greta think she can see Carbon? I thought you were joking, Fidget.

• By the way, does Greta think she can see Carbon? I thought you were joking, Fidget.

Afraid not. ?( We are back into medieval times with soothsayers and the like.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• You only have to look at the massive rise in cesarean sections to see where we're heading. Soon the only way for reproduction is with medical intervention. Post apocalypse most humans will die without reproducing.

Women too "posh" to push

• Afraid not. We are back into medieval times with soothsayers and the like.

:rolleyes: And so they make her best author at Waterstones and put her in Time Magazine's cover and almost gave her a Nobel Prize.

Actually, this is scary.

• Women too "posh" to push

It's actually about doctors too scheduled to wait for nature. They schedule births and so cutting infants out at appointed times in specific hospitals has made the Caesarean section the done thing. If you don't have a medical aid where I am, you can push till you die.

• Does anyone (besides myself) remember the controversy over the deaf couple who wanted a deaf child. They wanted tests so they could abort a child with normal hearing. It seems it is a common occurrence these days. In my opinion, people like that should never EVER have children. They put their own needs and wants before that of the child.

https://www.google.com/search?…&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Does anyone (besides myself) remember the controversy over the deaf couple who wanted a deaf child. They wanted tests so they could abort a child with normal hearing. It seems it is a common occurrence these days. In my opinion, people like that should never EVER have children. They put their own needs and wants before that of the child.

https://www.google.com/search?…&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In a way this is akin to the social services only placing foster/adoption children with families of the same ethnicity

I can understand but don't agree with it

• Choosing not to abort a deaf baby is completely different to aborting a hearing child because they want a deaf child. The latter is totally inexcusable.

• Choosing not to abort a deaf baby is completely different to aborting a hearing child because they want a deaf child. The latter is totally inexcusable.

As I said I can understand wanting to only bring a child into a similar environment to fit in but I don't agree with it

I post as a former foster parent, I suppose classed as typical middle class in the great scheme of things, and it was difficult for children from a different backgound to easily fit in and live to our standards

• I think it is rational for a Black couple to prefer to adopt a child of the same ethnicity, in fact I consider such a preference to be highly intelligent and logical. Just as with any and all of a certain ethnicity, or colour or nationality. The real problems only come if you are white and openly state you want a child of white ethnicity.. because this will be interpreted, BY THE LEFTIE RADICAL - NUT JOBS, as hating blacks and non whites.

• My parents adopted three girls, all sisters, while my Dad was away in the war and before they even tried for children of their own. The girls had broad Scottish accents (or so I was told, as they came from Portobello), aged 2, 3 & 4 and the whole neighbourhood clubbed together to get clothing coupons to clothe them. Their parents were distant relatives but they broke up but their Dad was in the war, and their Mum couldn't take the girls. I don't know if fostering was available then, but I do know my Mum was the most devoted 'do gooder' I have ever known. She would have given her last penny to help a total stranger. My Dad was a lot tougher, but Mum usually got her own way. My adopted sisters were much older than me and my other sister so I don't remember much from them living at home. Two of them drifted away, but the middle one has stayed 'with the family' but is getting on in years. I lost my other sister in 2018.

• If I was ever to adopt I would certainly want a white child. If possible I would like an Irish child.

I can not see one single problem with this. But if I was to rescue a child in danger and raise said child.. I would not care one iota what colour, race, ethnicity the child is.

It is not the business of others, especially via government dictat, (except in protection of children) to tell me what to do.

• It is not the business of others, especially via government dictat, (except in protection of children) to tell me what to do.

Was that the policy of the courts that you worked in?

• Courts do not function on policy. The respective court puts the health and security of the child as the NUMBER ONE factor. Not the personal ego of the adults.

• Courts do not function on policy. The respective court puts the health and security of the child as the NUMBER ONE factor. Not the personal ego of the adults.

Courts function on applying the law as laid down by the government. ie dictat by the said government which you say has no business telling you what to do

"It is not the business of others, especially via government dictat, (except in protection of children) to tell me what to do."

• Courts function on applying the law as laid down by the government. ie dictat by the said government which you say has no business telling you what to do

"It is not the business of others, especially via government dictat, (except in protection of children) to tell me what to do."

So now you are telling me how it works? OK. I sat in a few Family Court cases presided over by a Crown Court Judge... what do you think the court is for? otherwise we would just do a gestapo style control or a King Solomon ruling.

• We have statute law and common law.. case law via precedent and statutory interpretation as the oil on the cogs. Judges rule and can set precedent, Judge made law, within the intended meaning of the statute- government as legislature. Judges hear all sides from all parties they have leeway within which they can rule or instruct. This is NOT at all government dictat.

• So now you are telling me how it works? OK. I sat in a few Family Court cases presided over by a Crown Court Judge... what do you think the court is for? otherwise we would just do a gestapo style control or a King Solomon ruling.

You are very good at pretending to miss the point