Ruth Davidson says UK too London centric. Is she right?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Ruth Davidson has demanded Scotland benefits more from being part of the Union with a plea for more government jobs to be relocated north.

The Scottish Conservative leader said the UK "continues to be far too London-centric" with "enough civil servants to fill Wembley Stadium".

Speaking as a Londoner myself, I agree with her.

London is the capital and of course lots of things should always be concentrated in the capital city of any country, but unlike in many countries, London is all consuming and seems to suck the life out of the regions.

I know Davidson is specifically talking about things like civil servants here, but I do think the UK needs to be rebalanced. The Norf had manufacturing, which has mostly all gone, but there needs to be more of a even spread of wealth and opportunity across the country. The country is more than one city, even one as important as London.

What do you think, is the UK too London centric? If you do, what would you change?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I have a suggestion but it isn't politically correct.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Ruth is correct , how you can close the black hole that London has become though is beyond me, if all government is there, all the service industries will be there nearby , this is historical but moving people out to the region's without having a replacement workforce ready and waiting if they won't move if just not going to happen, businesses are in London because the finance is there, the airports are there and so it goes on.............,,l

• There does seem to be an attitude that if it's not happening in London then it's not happening.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I think mega cities are starting to be come things unto themselves. And this trend may continue until they separate themselves from those who live outside of these mega structures.

• Yes, that's a common theme in science fiction and it harks back to the past as well, when before nation states, there were city states.

There does seem to be an attitude that if it's not happening in London then it's not happening.

I admit, I'm no different. It's a bit difficult to see beyond London when you're in it.

Ruth is correct , how you can close the black hole that London has become though is beyond me, if all government is there, all the service industries will be there nearby , this is historical but moving people out to the region's without having a replacement workforce ready and waiting if they won't move if just not going to happen, businesses are in London because the finance is there, the airports are there and so it goes on.............,,l

Leeds and Edinburgh have their own financial industries in those cities. Manchester is big enough and ugly enough to fend for itself. Birmingham is big too, but what happens there now? You have a lot of life science (as it's called now) around Cambridge because of the university, but beyond those place and a few others, I don't really know what other industries are in the other cities and towns now.

As you say, it's infrastructure too, like airports.

Rather than take away from London, there should be a mass attempt to build industry up again in other places. Stoke-On-Trent still make a few pots, the steel industry (Sheffield) is gone, so it will be a tough challenge to rebalance the country and make it less London centric.

I have a suggestion but it isn't politically correct.

If it is in anyway related to immigrants, then stick it here:

The Great Debate on Immigration, Race and Religion in the UK

Otherwise, lets have it.

• It's bigger than just immigration. I think immigration has been used for a long time and the fallout has been problematic, but on the whole I think a very nasty, devious and nation-hating ideological streak turned up post WWII and has been eating Britain's heart out ever since. It is also chewing away at all of Europe. But I am interested in my own ancestral people, so I am willing to support the cause of getting rid of it in England and Norway, but have huge sympathy with it everywhere else. It has stuffed large parts of the world in its insidious mindbending hatred of everything that smells vaguely of heritage and nations.

It's why I detest politics in its present incarnation as politics is shot full of weakling flunkies and underpinned by serious nation wreckers.

A nice political enema would be the solution and a clean start.

• You would've liked the conversation I was having in a shoe shop this afternoon, LW, with a lady. I thought at first, she was in her early 70s, turned out she was about to turn 90. We had a little discussion about her life, what's she seen over the course of her life and what she thinks about today, and using different words, she pretty much said the same as you.

She thinks we've stopped being proud of our country, but she believe that the horrors of WW2 made those leaders take on a more liberal agenda than perhaps they would have done if the war had never occurred. Once that treadmill was started, no one knows how to stop it without being accused of being a nazi.

Right, back to Ruth Davidson.

• I have a foot in both camps, being of Durham parentage but born and raised just outside London and I certainly think the economy and politics are too slanted toward London and the south east.

Look at the expansion of Heathrow, where every promise that no more would take place - going back decades - has proved to be worthless.

Then consider the supposed attempt to build the 'Northern Powerhouse' via HS2. Why link it to London? this will undoubtedly make life slightly easier for business types based in the capital, but will be of no benefit to anyone trying to establish a northern business. And it completely ignores the norgth east, which is in dire need of reinvestment, given the death of heavy industry in the region since the 1980s.

• Why link HS2 to London? Is obvious, it's the capital? But obviously this would be more favourable to London based businessmen, than northern based ones, which is why there should be a northern east-west HS3 to link the North together with each other.

I'm not about tearing others down, to make someone else stronger, and I take that to cities too. London should not be made weaker to strengthen the north. The north should be strengthened regardless of what London does.

The death of the heavy industry is something that was never addressed and should be, but the solution may not be appetising to all.