You aren't going to believe this .................

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • ...........but I swear it's true.

Locally there is a small block of self contained flats designed for elderly and disabled people, all living pretty independent lives. In the communal corridors on both floors there were about 6 fire extinguishers for obvious reasons, fire, extinguisher, put fire out.

Some looney from either the fire authority or the council has now had all these extinguishers removed on the grounds of health and safety. You may need to read that twice. They've removed the fire extinguishers on the grounds of health and safety.

Apparently the reason being that the residents haven't been trained to use the fire extinguishers, might not read the instructions and so use it on the wrong kind of fire. 8|

• Or maybe try shaving with it. :rolleyes:

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Or, perhaps the powers-that-be thought the residents might use it as whipping cream. But in for a shock, if they did!:)

Health and safety gone mad, and also probably an illegal move too.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I do believe it. What's worse is that where I work it is a legal requirement to have fire extinguishers but the only training you get is to not use them. No one is trained to use them as it happens.

• You should have a fire safety officer who is trained to use them, hoxton. I don't know if you work for a small organisation or large one, but all large organisations must have a suitable trained people. And sprinklers.

• I worked at one time for a relatively small company (about 50 employees) and I was one of a fire team, 4 IIRC, that had training in using various fire extinguishers and what fires to use them on. Also the procedures in the event of fire including a search of the building including the toilets to ensure that all employees had been accounted for.

Surely removing fire extinguishers has to be against fire regulations? Not to mention the insurance implications.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Morgan, if this is where you live, perhaps in the wake of Grenfell, you should contact the media and say the fire extinguishers have been removed.

• You should have a fire safety officer who is trained to use them, hoxton. I don't know if you work for a small organisation or large one, but all large organisations must have a suitable trained people. And sprinklers.

They've been told not to use them, just to evacuate. It's a large company. I think things have changed over the years, fire safety is more about prevention and evacuation and not about fire fighting.

• Kidney soup? Sounds disgusting. No wonder nobody opened it. <X

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Ahh, ....I'm too tired, I thought the thread was just about one topic, but yes, if Morgan's intention is to have a thread of "you can't believe this stories," then great stuff.:thumbup:

These chatty type threads help to take the sting out of the political ones. I like, I like a lot.:)

As for the latest topic, my understanding is that the food should be okay to eat. I'll volunteer my neighbours to try it and find out.;)^^

• As for the latest topic, my understanding is that the food should be okay to eat.

So long as the tin is sound then it's not going to kill you but might be unpalletable.

4312-gwban-gif

• Perhaps I'll get some of these tins for the neighbours' dog, whose barking never ceases.:evil:

• I have a feeling this will be a busy thread, as there are lots of "I can't believe it" type stories.:)

A council paid out more than £1.8m in a single compensation claim involving a pothole, it has emerged.

Somerset County Council paid out £1,836,000 to a third party for "general damages" following an accident "involving a pothole defect".

Details released to the Somerset County GazetteFreedom of Information request

Presumably, the claimant accidentally fell "down" the pothole, broke his back, arms, legs, severe brain damage etc but then managed to recover enough to put the claim in.

I don't know what is worse, the scum that put these claims in, or the inept councils that pay them out.

• I don't know what is worse, the scum that put these claims in, or the inept councils that pay them out.

Or the incompetent councils that let a pothole get that bad in the first place.:cursing:

4312-gwban-gif

• Heero, I don't know if you get this in your area, but where I am we have groups of people who seek out pot holes or such such things, to then have "accidents." When these "accidents" occur, its always amazing that these people just happen to have measuring tape on them to check the dimensions of the pot holes and high quality cameras. Its become a bit of an industry in its own right.

• THIS little boy is absolutely terrified of the toy his mum bought him - and you won't be able to stop watching his terrified reaction.

The toy is a Feisty Pet Angry Unicorn, and its kind faces turns into a terrifying monster designed to scare.

I've not watched the video, but have seen the pictures in the article.

I have no idea why this mum or her many followers on Facebook think its hilarious buying a toy which scares the little boy. The toy is nasty, just like the so called mother.

What is even worse, there will be thousands of kids terrified by this sick toy as its been sold out.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:X(X(X(

• Cretins!

And the worst is that mythologically the unicorn is a symbol of purity and lives in an enchanted forest.

• I think these people are more than cretins, they're cruel and callous. Facebook is filled with these type of people and of course I must eventually start using it for promotion of this site.X/

• I've left four times and don't think I'll be going back.

• It's not my favourite place either, but I must venture there sometimes.

• I think these people are more than cretins, they're cruel and callous. Facebook is filled with these type of people and of course I must eventually start using it for promotion of this site.X/

You can pick and choose who you hear from, it won't be an issue for someone as discerning as you!

• Picking and choosing isn't really workable if you are on facebook so you can keep track of a large extended family or friendship circle, and often both. They put all this crap on as well as the things you might need to hear, like who is ill, who has died, who has had a child, graduated, etc. I have to check Mr Wing's facebook page for all this as he doesn't care about the endless video and image junk but needs to know what is happening as the family and friends put all this news on facebook, or WhatsApp. I have blocked the junk that issues from some of his friendship list folk, but as rubbish and facebook are synonymous, I can't silence them all.

• Christmas dinner sprout limit called for by Leicestershire County Council

[A] woman asked if the council would have a designated "Sprout Officer"...

:rolleyes:

• I think a sprout limit might be a good idea. I heard an article on Farming Today recently which said scientists are looking at different foodstuffs for cattle to try to prevent so much methane being produced by them and harming the environment. This could be part of the same initiative. It could be a limit on baked beans next ..................... We should all do our bit to prevent climate change ..........^^.

• I don't eat sprouts, but I have nothing against any ladies who do.