Is 4K the emperor's new clothes of TV?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I have always been a techie and love new things but the latest TV standard has got me bemused.I have a panasonic 58" 4K TV, SkyQ , Xbox1S and PS4 pro, this gives me access to 4K content , i have to say though , i am far from impressed.

Live football is the about the only thing I have been impressed with , TV and films on SKY show little real improvement over HD IMPO.4K bluray is a major disappointment , this may be because the masters are upscaled but the quality on all bar cartoon films like Disney or ice age types is dire,U tube clips can look excellent but I think broadcasters really are doing 4K a dis-service. Is anyone genuinely impressed with 4K ?

• One thing that has always made me think is when I watch a standard DVD and they show an advert for a film on HD blue ray to show the difference in quality, now if the DVD technology is not capable of showing HD, what is the point of trying to show the difference? :rolleyes: :D

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It all comes down to bit-rate and the bandwidth available to actually carry the channels. Even top notch channels like BBC1 are still woefully short of bit-rate on HD, the moment the scene shifts you can forget about clarity. I think that UHD will be hampered by poor encoding and lack of bit-rate on the normal linear channels. If the broadcast companies and ISPs can get their act together on fast (>100mbs) BB then IMHO streaming is the only way to have good quality UHD on a significant number of channels / proogrammes.

Having said that our 42" Sony 1080p is more than adequate in the size of our front room.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• When I had my trip to Currys last month to get a fridge freezer, I did notice the 4k tvs. I was impressed by the picture quality and did notice the difference, but they were playing a Disney 4k test. As Heero says, its all down to what bitrates they are using.

Having seen a recent demo of a holographic game, I know where the future will be and it won't be 2d for much longer.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• My pennies are being saved for a OLED tv. With blacks that are actually black and not grey. I've seen some of the earlier models a few years ago and even for then, they knock spots off standard HD tvs. So, a 4k oled must be a marriage made in heaven, surely?

• I don't know whether it's been sorted yet but there was an issue with the blue OLEDs loosing strength with time and the set needing the chroma to be rebalanced every now and then.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Not heard of that, Heero, but I've not been on many tech forums or sites recently. Usually the display problems come from the reds.

My own tv is okay again at the moment, as folks might recall, I said that the sound was playing up on it recently. Its a 2013 Samsung Smart tv and overall I'm quite happy with it. For the money it cost, I certainly hope it will last at least another 3-4 years.

• It used to be the red on the older CRT tellies, it had to be driven harder than the green or blue at the outset and often needed the set to be rebalanced. One of the reasons that they all ended up different colours and mostly a bit green.

4312-gwban-gif

• I do actually get a bit of a green tinge on the left hand side of my Samsung when viewing some pictures, but its not too distracting.

For the money that is being charged for those oleds, they should be perfect.

• Give it a couple of months and 4k will be yesterdays technology, keeping abreast of the latest tech is a expensive game, luckily something I have never succumb to, I tend to only replace existing tech I have when it goes kaput.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Give it a couple of months and 4k will be yesterdays technology, keeping abreast of the latest tech is a expensive game, luckily something I have never succumb to, I tend to only replace existing tech I have when it goes kaput.

Or obsolete. It's what we do. Whatever happened to 3D TV and those who ran out to get the new and very expensive sets? Sunk without trace.

HD was a major forward move but 4K only really works for those with 20/20 vision and very large sets. For the rest of us improved content is more important then being able to (occasionally) see every blade of grass.

4312-gwban-gif

• Rubbish, Heero.

What could be better than Jeremy Kyle and his guests in 4k?8o