ECJ law will still apply to UK until 2021!! and May preparing for no Brexit deal.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The UK has set out how it could operate as an "independent trading nation" after Brexit, even if no trade deal is reached with Brussels.

Prime Minister Theresa May told MPs "real and tangible progress" had been made in Brexit talks.

Hard to know where to post this as it covers several different, but related subjects.

I came in just in time to see May's speech to parliament at 4.30pm. May was talking about her already announced two year transitional period that she now calls a implementation period. Basically she is hoping to agree with the EU a deal that post 2019 will allow enough time for business' for prepare to exiting the EU, but for me it was not what May said, which was next to nothing, but the question that Jacob Rees-Mogg asked her.

Mogg asked her if the UK would be subject to EU law during this two year phase and although buffeted by wishy washy language, the basic reply is yes. We voted to leave, but we won't really be leaving until 2021. That's from the horse's (May's) mouth, not mine.

Although this is not the thread for it, I think May has just slit her own throat with her Brexit MPs on this.

The inked BBC article talks about May preparing for no deal, but I am under the increasing view that she doesn't intend for us to leave the EU at all. Over to you Boris, do your stuff!

• Perhaps I am just stupid but in the transitional years , will we be able to do trade deals?, if signed up to ECJ and all the other binding conditions , i suggest NO!, so what will this achieve?

• Perhaps I am just stupid but in the transitional years , will we be able to do trade deals?, if signed up to ECJ and all the other binding conditions , i suggest NO!, so what will this achieve?

It's just a tactic from the remainers to try and stop Brexit. They would then continually extend the "transition" until a government gets in that will shoot us back into the EU but without any of the opt-outs that we have now and no rebate.

PRO-Leave Cabinet ministers are demanding billions in the Budget to prepare for a ‘no deal’ Brexit scenario - after one rated its chances now at 50/50.

Two of the PM’s most senior ministers spoke to The Sun to vent their growing anger with the government’s failure to be ready to call the EU’s bluff if exit deal talks fail.

Levelling much of the blame on Philip Hammond and Treasury mandarins, the powerful pair insisted the Chancellor publicly sets aside jumbo sums in his annual financial blueprint next month.

The new Cabinet row - revealed by The Sun - comes as a fresh Brexit stand-off with the EU.

Ahead of a leaders summit next week, France and Germany are refusing a transition deal unless Britain coughs up more details on the size of our exit bill, despite Theresa May’s new £18bn transition contributions offer.

Source

At least some people are pushing for preparations for a clean cut in 2019.

• Yep, but that's what the "current" government intends to do. Just to add salt to the wounds, I see Hammond has been busy this morning:

Taxpayers' money will not be spent on preparing for a "no-deal" Brexit until the "very last moment", Chancellor Philip Hammond has suggested.

He told MPs he was preparing for all possible outcomes, including "no deal", and would make money available in a "timely" manner when needed.

I suppose under most circumstances, I would agree with Hammond about not wasting taxpayers money on hypothetical situations, but Brexit is so important, that, if there is no deal, we need to be prepared. Clearly, we're not.

• I think we need to be level headed. What people say publicly is not necessarily what will be being said behind closed doors. There is no preparation required for a "no deal". That is the end. No deal. The taxpayers money will either be spent on propping up the EU or by countering the "no deal" scenario. And it will be last minute, so there isn't anything I can see that is worth getting alarmed over. Philip Hammond though, does need to shut his miserable, sour-pussed mouth up. He is clearly manouevering against the Government and I think it will him who is sacked rather than Boris. Hammond is simply so against Brexit he doesn't need to pretend, and whilst I support a mix of opinions in cabinet, Hammond is, in my eyes, the only one unwilling to compromise. So, with in mind, he should consider this: Does he want to be in Government or not? If yes, then play the game and tow the line. If no, then Sod off and let someone more optimistic take over.

• Well as far as I can see the real preparation needed for a no deal is on the customs side, particularly as was highlighted this morning on R4's Today programme for the RoRo ferries. The suggestion was to set up the controls a little way inland to prevent congestion at the actual ports. Sensible but that means building infrastructure even if it's only lorry parks and customs points and buildings. I guess they *could* use Portacabins initially but that still means lorry parks and check points need construction.

• May has just said in response to a question from IDS that £250m has already been spent in preparation for a no deal and more money will be spent, where necessary. Totally the opposite to what Hammond said only a few hours ago. What the hell is going on with the government?

Hammond is the problem. Not the Government. He needs getting rid of. He is clearly a prick.

• I need to watch what Hammond said in the select committee, but the BBC tv news just showed a clip of Hammond saying he was planning for a hard brexit, but made the point that every pound he spends on that is one less pound he spends on education, health etc.

There is no preparation required for a "no deal". That is the end. No deal.

Well as far as I can see the real preparation needed for a no deal is on the customs side, particularly as was highlighted this morning on R4's Today programme for the RoRo ferries. The suggestion was to set up the controls a little way inland to prevent congestion at the actual ports. Sensible but that means building infrastructure even if it's only lorry parks and customs points and buildings. I guess they *could* use Portacabins initially but that still means lorry parks and check points need construction.

Tons of preparation needs to be done, wizzy. We'd need thousands of port and customs officials, all new IT systems, regulations and rules. Tons of prep needs to be done. I imagine it will cost many billions, assuming Hammond does spend the money. May told parliament she is/they will.

Land would need to be acquired around the ports, Heero. It will take a lot more than a few portacabins, but what if you live near Dover and the government compulsory purchases your home in preparation for a hard Brexit, then a hard Brexit doesn't happen? There will be a few pissed off voters there. The government has a lot of decisions it needs to take and to do soon.

• I need to watch what Hammond said in the select committee, but the BBC tv news just showed a clip of Hammond saying he was planning for a hard brexit, but made the point that every pound he spends on that is one less pound he spends on education, health etc.

Tons of preparation needs to be done, wizzy. We'd need thousands of port and customs officials, all new IT systems, regulations and rules. Tons of prep needs to be done. I imagine it will cost many billions, assuming Hammond does spend the money. May told parliament she is/they will.

Land would need to be acquired around the ports, Heero. It will take a lot more than a few portacabins, but what if you live near Dover and the government compulsory purchases your home in preparation for a hard Brexit, then a hard Brexit doesn't happen? There will be a few pissed off voters there. The government has a lot of decisions it needs to take and to do soon.

I'm not suggesting no preparations and massive projects wouldn't be undertaken, but my point is that Hammond is scare mongering. It did Osborne no favours whatsoever. Why would money come from Health, or Education? In the event of a no deal, we would pay only what we're legally required to to the EU but not a penny beyond March 31st 2019. So the money saved would surely be used to fund the deal scenario initially. He has now made the bonkers claim that "All flights to the EU will be grounded" as a result of a no deal. Really? Without British tourists, Malta would be bankrupt within a month.

• I'm beginning to get the feeling that brexit wont actually happen, at the moment its just discussions about having discussions with no concrete decisions actually being made, certainly got me thinking the whole referendum was very much a waste of every ones time and only done to appease and win back votes that were being lost to UKIP.

• I'm not suggesting no preparations and massive projects wouldn't be undertaken, but my point is that Hammond is scare mongering.

Agree and this links in to the other thread about May getting interviewed by Ian Dale yesterday. If they don't believe in something, how can they implement it? If, as the suggestion goes, that most of the Treasury and Whitehall as a whole is anti-Brexit, we have a big problem on our hands.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that brexit wont actually happen, at the moment its just discussions about having discussions with no concrete decisions actually being made, certainly got me thinking the whole referendum was very much a waste of every ones time and only done to appease and win back votes that were being lost to UKIP.

It will happen Ron, its just a case of when and how. No one is going to stop it, not May, Hammond, Blair, Corbyn, Clegg, that Miller woman etc. They can all line up and do what they can to cause problems and they are/will, but a majority voted to leave and that will happen.

• I agree, Heero. I live in a part of the country, where feelings on this issue run strongly.

Despite the chaos that would ensue, I wouldn't mind a hard brexit for one reason only - full border control. Roll on the recruitment of thousands of immigration and customs officials, I say. It's about time we checked who was coming in and out of this country.

• full border control. Roll on the recruitment of thousands of immigration and customs officials, I say. It's about time we checked who was coming in and out of this country.

Indeed a proper check on HGV's and vans coming in would catch an lot of illegals IMHO that currently get in scot free and then disappear into the black economy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!