May refuses to say how she would vote in another referendum

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I'm beginning to have serious doubts both about May's heartfelt commitment to Brexit and also her ability to stand up under questioning. She's fine on set pieces normally but once a bit of pressure is put on by the questioner she sometimes seems like a rabbit caught in the headlights. All she had to say very firmly to this was " Firstly, there is not going to be another referendum, secondly how I would vote is none of your business and thirdly, I was elected to carry out the will of the people not make personal choices and that is what I intend to do."

• I think some of the mess that results form voting today is in this need to place target genders, ethnicities, etc into hot seats. Sometimes these are dragons like Thatcher and can kick shins, but the average woman really isn't suited to the cut throat goings on in modern politics. You really need a strong man at this time to literally hoof those EU flunkies into orbit and get Britain its freedom and identity back.

Farage was very good at this, but he is a bit of a maverick and a rebel. Perhaps for the Conservatives you need a less cheeky but just as courageous candidate. (Personally I'd like to see a male dragon get in there and foosh them to ashes with his determination not to bugger about any more.)

Has he been born yet? ^^

• I think Iain Dale was a prick for asking the question and an ever bigger prick for making such a big thing at a non-answer. How on earth can "If we had a second referendum, I would, as I did the last time, evaluate everything and make a decision thereafter" (or words to that effect) be declared as "May does not support Brexit"? It's utterly ridiculous, and whilst I am pessimistic over Brexit because it is clear the establishment are trying to thwart it any way they can, I do believe in human decency and think May was set up and was victim of shoddy and irrelevant journalism in this case. It'll get to the point where politicians won't go on shows anymore as journalists never ever ask questions about policies, only personal irrelevancies. For instance, Jacob Rees-Mogg went on GMB to talk about Brexit and they started hammering him down with ridiculous personal attacks about his religion and the beliefs he has because of it. Would they hammer Sadiq Khan over his religious beliefs? No. They wouldn't dare.

Stick to the policies when interviewing politicians. I don't care about their personal opinions. I only care about what, collectively, a group of people are going to do to make our lives better.

• The media are making a lot out of this, but its a non-story in my opinion, or at least so I thought until I saw the story about Hammond (see the no Brexit thread) today.

We know how May voted and she repeated that in the show, but I think the point of the question was, if she doesn't believe in something, how can she do it? Up until this morning, I thought that was silly, she could easily set aside personal opinions, but after Hammond's remarks this morning, I now think this is a legitimate line of questioning against May and her majority remainer government.

• Most of the cabinet voted to remain. Can you see the "little" issue we have here, LW?

How do you know? None of us were there with them as they went into the polling booth. Corbyn also says he voted Remain but I don't believe him. I think May would have voted Leave had any of them done so.

• Because they declared it wizzy. If you do a quick google search, it should tell you who voted to remain, which was most of them.

The leavers in the present cabinet are Boris, Davis, Gove and Fox. I don't think there were any others.

True. But just because they said something, doesn't make it true. May said she was going to look after the "Just About Managing" but that was a lie too! I just think politicians will just say things to keep them in favour with whatever group they need to keep on board with. We'll never really know how any of them voted in reality.

• May - remain

Green - remain

Hammond - remain

Johnson - leave

Davis - leave

Rudd - remain

Fallon - remain

Leadsom - leave

Hunt - remain

Fox - leave

Patel - leave

Gauke - remain

Javid - remain

Greening - remain

Truss - remain

Lidington - remain

Grayling - leave

Bradley - remain

Brokenshire - remain

Clark - remain

Mundell - remain

Cairns - remain

Evans - ??

16 voted to remain

6 voted to leave

The vote for Baroness Evans is unknown as she is not a MP.

• When did the good folks of this historically stoical and tolerant nation start making mountains out of molehills? So the Government voted Remain? Well considering the leaflet we got through our letter box said the Government was backing remain, it's not surprising that most would vote that way. They just didn't bargain on the public sticking their fingers up at them and blowing a huge raspberry! So, they are in an usual position of implementing democracy. The only thing that matters is whether they carry out Brexit. They have said they will, so we have to trust them. If they don't, they'll pay for it. But let's see whether they back out of delivering Brexit before we pass judgement.

• I'm beginning to have serious doubts both about May's heartfelt commitment to Brexit and also her ability to stand up under questioning. She's fine on set pieces normally but once a bit of pressure is put on by the questioner she sometimes seems like a rabbit caught in the headlights. All she had to say very firmly to this was " Firstly, there is not going to be another referendum, secondly how I would vote is none of your business and thirdly, I was elected to carry out the will of the people not make personal choices and that is what I intend to do."

Wow, is that what she said?

What do you mean when you say you have "serious doubts about May's heartfelt commitment to Brexit"? It's surely blindingly obvious that she has NO commitment to Brexit, heartfelt or otherwise. Actually, it's fair to say that May has no heartfelt commitment to anything other than to mouth slogans that may or may not have any connection with questions that she has been asked by the media . Her answers don't mean anything; they are just endless variations on "motherhood-and-apple-pie" type responses.

I'm not sure who, apart from a few mentally-fixated back-benchers and those who want to cling on to their constituency supporters by burbling on about "they voted to leave and we must uphold democracy". Even Boris is now crawling about under the radar and I reckon his Plan B (if he can't get enough gigs outside Parliament) is to promote himself as someone who can help Britain reform the EU from within, either as Tory leader or as the Prime Minister's semi-house-trained lapdog.

I don't see the point of another referendum. At the time of the next referendum it will still be the case that no one can predict whether Britain can get by economically as a world trader outside the EU. So the referendum vote will be as ill-informed as before. You will have idiots who think"let's gets on with it", idiots who think "where's that £350 million for the NHS, the Brexiteers conned us, so let's stay in", idiots who think "the EU are being beastly to us, let's leave". Because of the disillusionment and sense of futility, the turnout will be much lower and this leave a questionmark on what the result means. My own view is that Britain is starting to look like a country of losers, governed by incompetents who are quite possibly worse than the unelected incompetents who run the EU. Even if Britain remains in the EU it will still be a country of losers. But at least it will be a slower decline. For those of us in the older age groups, the rot will set in after we have departed from this planet. Once this country abandons its pathetic notion of sovereignty and following our global destiny, there will sighs of relief in the city and property sales will start to recover. For me that will be the time to sell my home and just rent because the recovery will be be short-lived. Britain may well show the world that it has become a bunch of losers, whether inside or outside the EU. The idea that by remaining in the EU we are ensuring a future for our children and grandchildren is an absolute hoot.

Edited once, last by casablanca (December 1, 2017 at 6:00 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!