Killer drivers to be given life sentences. Is that enough?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Drivers who kill someone in the most serious cases of dangerous and careless driving will now face life sentences.

Causing death by dangerous driving, or death by careless driving while drunk or on drugs, will carry the top-level punishment.

About time too, in my opinion.

Most people who kill someone when driving only get three or four years in prison, which on good behaviour, would mean they would be out in half of that. This new life sentence will stop that nonsense, with one obvious caveat. We have no life sentences in the UK. Life does not mean the rest of someone's life, should it?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Only for premeditated murder. (IMO)

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• It's all very well saying they could and they might get longer sentences but it never seems to happen. Blunket increased the maximum sentence from 10 to 15 years and at that time no one had ever been sentenced to 10 years.

One person got 15 years and it was reduced to six. I know they would be difficult to put into practice but I'm afraid I would prefer minimum sentences in many cases as opposed to maximum.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats…-killer-released-1-334725

• In Norway life is 20 years.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• It's all very well saying they could and they might get longer sentences but it never seems to happen. Blunket increased the maximum sentence from 10 to 15 years and at that time no one had ever been sentenced to 10 years.

One person got 15 years and it was reduced to six. I know they would be difficult to put into practice but I'm afraid I would prefer minimum sentences in many cases as opposed to maximum.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats…-killer-released-1-334725

That's what I was saying. If prisoners behave well, their sentences get halved, so what's the point of a judge sentencing someone to 20 years, when they'll be out in half that?

Fully agree about minimum sentences, then everyone knows where they stand, including victims and their families.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.