BBC axe Crimewatch. Will you miss it?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Crimewatch, one of the BBC's longest-running shows, is being axed after 33 years.

The programme, which asks viewers for help to track down criminals, is hosted by Jeremy Vine and Tina Daheley

"This move will also allow us to create room for new innovative programmes in peak time on BBC One." Daytime series Crimewatch Roadshow will continue.

"Innovative new programmes," who are they kidding? Probably another reality show will get put on.

Crimewatch was innovative though for its day and I watched it for many years, but like all things, it does get stale after a while and I got bored of it and moved on. Although, when Jill Dando was murdered, I did briefly go back and watch it, including the powerful episode that Nick Ross did about his colleague, Jill Dando.

Do you watch Crimewatch and will miss it, or has it has its day?

• "Innovative new programmes," who are they kidding? Probably another reality show will get put on.

Crimewatch was innovative though for its day and I watched it for many years, but like all things, it does get stale after a while and I got bored of it and moved on. Although, when Jill Dando was murdered, I did briefly go back and watch it, including the powerful episode that Nick Ross did about his colleague, Jill Dando.

Do you watch Crimewatch and will miss it, or has it has its day?

I haven't watched Crimewatch for years. It has had its day, but I do find the BBC statement to be hugely patronosing. "Make room for more innovative programmes" my arse! Why not just say that "due to social media and constantly evolving ways of appealing to the public, it is fely Crimewatch as a prime time programme, has reached the end of its run. We will maintain the brand and will continue with the daytime version, aswell as online content where possible." No need to mention innovative programmes! I'm still waiting for all the innovative programmes that were meant to replace all the other shows that have been axed! Remember "Total Wipeout"? That was axed to make way for more "exciting and fun filled entertainment shows" some 6 years ago. When are we going to see these "exciting and fun filled" shows on screen?

• I do have to defend the BBC in one respect they are going to put a historical drama on a Saturday night at 9:00 pm in the Shape of "Gunpowder" which not surprisingly is about the Gunpowder Plot and stars Kit Harrison (Jon Snow of Game of thrones fame) as Robert Gatesby, this is not the first time BBC have gone against the grain of what has become normal Saturday night TV fodder they did show the series "Taboo" a few months back.

• My best wishes to anyone in the BBC who can still produce good stuff. Once the Beeb was a national treasure. It could be so again, with a little hoofing of those who have destroyed it. :evil:

• Oh the subject of Crime-watch I always used to think if someone is there to film the crimes why cant they step in and stop the crimes from happening or call the police at least. ;):P:D

• I haven't watched Crimewatch for years. It has had its day, but I do find the BBC statement to be hugely patronosing. "Make room for more innovative programmes" my arse! Why not just say that "due to social media and constantly evolving ways of appealing to the public, it is fely Crimewatch as a prime time programme, has reached the end of its run. We will maintain the brand and will continue with the daytime version, aswell as online content where possible." No need to mention innovative programmes! I'm still waiting for all the innovative programmes that were meant to replace all the other shows that have been axed! Remember "Total Wipeout"? That was axed to make way for more "exciting and fun filled entertainment shows" some 6 years ago. When are we going to see these "exciting and fun filled" shows on screen?

You will, they'll just be just be hosted by Gordon Ramsey, or worse, Jeremy Kyle.

The simple fact is the programme is tired now, most people are bored of it and that's why its being axed, for the BBC to say they are making room for something better, is rubbish, I agree.

• Oh the subject of Crime-watch I always used to think if someone is there to film the crimes why cant they step in and stop the crimes from happening or call the police at least. ;):P:D

CCTV??

I do have to defend the BBC in one respect they are going to put a historical drama on a Saturday night at 9:00 pm in the Shape of "Gunpowder" which not surprisingly is about the Gunpowder Plot and stars Kit Harrison (Jon Snow of Game of thrones fame) as Robert Gatesby, this is not the first time BBC have gone against the grain of what has become normal Saturday night TV fodder they did show the series "Taboo" a few months back.

Not heard of those, but like Heero said, I rarely switch on the main channels either, so not up with their latest developments. The drama sounds interesting, so will definitely check it out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!