Political Reform

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Oh, I have long held the view that the Lords and the HoC for that matter, should move out of London. I propose they are both relocated in a new purpose built facility in Barrow-in-Furness.

Firstly, Barrow is an absolute arse to get to from the South of England, so the road network and rail system will receive an instant upgrade, an airport would be nice too.

Secondly, only the most dedicated would actually stand for election because they would have to live for at least half of their time in Barrow and that will make a man out of anyone, including the women.

Thirdly, it is fairly equidistant from all four UK Capital Cities so we could abolish the regional assemblies and save a few quid and a lot of pointless hot air, and we must think about the climate these days...mustn't we?

Fourth, it would make it much harder work to organise a protest outside parliament.

Fifth, it would make a glorious backdrop for hosting dignitaries from overseas.

It would remove focus and importance from London, and that cannot be a bad thing.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• If we're to retain their lordships into the future, if, then yeah, go for it, send 'em to Barrow.^^

I think its a genuinely good idea. It will put them in touch with the electorate.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Sixth: the attraction to work in Barrow rather than London would target deadbeats and that would enable Britain to sink to the bottom, whereupon the government to be taken over by an angry mob who would get things done

• House of Lords peers are set to hand themselves a 3.1 percent pay rise, meaning they will receive a huge £323 per day tax-free.

The decision to link increases in House of Lords allowances to Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) increases in MPs salaries was taken in 2008. Ministers are set to see their salaries go up by £2,000 to nearly £82,000 from April. During a standard year there can be 150 sitting days in the Lords, meaning peers could now receive nearly £50,000 without being charged any tax or national insurance on what they earn.

The IPSA sets MP's pay increases linked to the change in average weekly earnings in the public sector for October.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) calculated that as being 3.1 percent.

Do members think this is fair for just turning up? Should it be taxed and NIi?

Maybe abolition of the lords should be back on the Agenda?

• Maybe abolition of the lords should be back on the Agenda?

Many of the Lords hardly turn up for "work" as it is, they only clock in to get the allowance. Even before whole scale reform of the house which is needed, why are people paid to do nothing?

I would start by sacking all lords who only turn up to clock on and get the allowance, or only make a few speeches a year. That would get rid of them instantly and think about what to do about the rest of them.

• I would start by sacking all lords who only turn up to clock on and get the allowance, or only make a few speeches a year. That would get rid of them instantly and think about what to do about the rest of them.

Gets my vote.

I wonder if a second house along the lines of the US Senate would be a way to go. You could have say a couple of Senators for each county. Though that makes the representation a bit lop sided with Rutland having the same number as say Middlesex.

• I presume it was originally intended as a sort of retirement home with pension for retiring MPs bt has now become a fount of experience and knowledge to the Commons

Some very sensible ideas and proposals including brakes have come from the HOL so I would support their retention in another form. The State opening for instance with the monarch addressing them is a prime example of our continuing class system

I would also insist that they have to do a full days week to earn their allowance

• Ho Ho!

• I think there is much merit in moving the centre of government in its entirety outside of London, along way outside of London.

The North has been neglected for far too long and the Northern powerhouse should also have the centre of government at its heart.

London will be just fine in its own nutty bubble. Once it is no longer propped up by a London centric government we might start to see the place return to some sort of normality.

Ship out the government, ship out the institutions, ship out the financial centre, cancel new airports expansion and relocate the lot to the North. Perhaps change the capital city to Manchester and get people to start migrating to the North where all the work will be.

They can start building HS2 east to west first as well and not bother with the north to south bit.

• There's two reasons why London is the place.

1) this is where the old historical buildings are and where it all started along with trade flow down the Thames into the docks. It all good for the pantomime to have good theatrical backdrop.

2) it's close to the financial sector and the city which has a different set of laws outside of existing so they can keep their corruption, control and money flowing into their pockets between them and trade / big business and in return big business also gets to work outside of being taxed or at least only paying min to show face, along with tax havens for big business, government and what we call criminals. So yes the whole lot would have to move.

Lots of money can buy you your freedom otherwise your just another slave.

The tax haven in the heart of Britain

https://www.newstatesman.com/economy/2011/0…orporation-city

The (Secret) City of London

https://www.cgpgrey.com/blog/the-secret-city-of-london.html

But the Guardian will do their best to try and protect their interests and those that feed them. Lets not forget that big media is part of the corruption and manipulation of the masses to distract us from what is really going on at deeper levels of government. Similar to the US black Op's and shadow governments in power outside of the constraints of voting and ruled only by money.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/…s-not-above-law

It stuff like this that makes us one of the most secretive countries in the world.

• For the kind of work MP's do they deserve no more than £25,000 per a year plus perks like their subsidised bar. An MP's aide or secretary would deserve more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!