Gunpowder

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • GUNPOWDER is a new BBC historical drama set to remember, remember the fifth of November - with a little help from everyone's favourite Game of Thrones star and a rock legend's daughter.

I'm going to do something tonight which I generally don't do on any night, let alone on a Saturday and switch on live telly to BBC1.

A new drama called Gunpowder starts tonight which tells the events of the attempt to blow up parliament in 1605. Here's a link to the BBC's page on the show, but if you don't already know, the drama stars Kit Harrington from Game of Thrones, so it's gotta be worth a watch.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Just saw the first episode. It's good. A lot of gore.

The story may be complicated for those not very familiar with the history of the time period, but historical drama doesn't just serve a entertainment purpose, but a educational one too.

No need to wait until the other two episodes air over the next few weeks, as the other two episodes are available on iplayer now. I wonder what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening.

• The BBC is at its best when doing historical dramas like this, as for the gore well that's how it was in them days.

I wonder how many people celebrate November the 5th and have no clue as to what it's all about, do they actually still teach stuff like this in history at school or is it probably considered UN-PC, so the little darlings are spared it, as it might upset or offend someone.

As for the series I will probably resist watching it on iPlayer and watch the other episodes as they are aired, otherwise I will have to find something else to watch at that time next Saturday.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• The BBC is at its best when doing historical dramas like this, as for the gore well that's how it was in them days.

Agree. Not seen the Last Post yet, but will.

I wonder how many people celebrate November the 5th and have no clue as to what it's all about, do they actually still teach stuff like this in history at school or is it probably considered UN-PC, so the little darlings are spared it, as it might upset or offend someone.

I think this period of history is quite complex, I've certainly got many gaps. I think most people know about Henry VIII and the reformation, but not the after effects.

As for the series I will probably resist watching it on iPlayer and watch the other episodes as they are aired, otherwise I will have to find something else to watch at that time next Saturday.

Never did see the rest of the eps on iplayer last night as I was busy with other things, but will today! Can't wait another two weeks.:)

• A BBC drama about the gunpowder plot has drawn criticism for its violence.

One viewer labelled an execution scene in Gunpowder "grotesque and completely unnecessary", while another called it "one of the most painful things I've ever witnessed on TV".

Yes it was bloody, Game of Thrones style bloody, but that's the whole point of it.

There was a warning given, I suppose it could've be aired after 10pm, but 9pm is the watershed and the actual execution scenes were on around 9.30PM, so in theory all the little kiddies should be in bed. So, if the adults didn't like it, they could switch away.

Still haven't seen the other two episodes yet on iplayer, but I will.

Roll on more stuff like this, BBC. Although perhaps without the slicing out of someone's guts.:)

• Brilliant sets, background and drama which the BBC usually does best but as you say, a bit too much blood and gore than was necessary.

• It's the BBC they get criticised no matter what they do, if they hadn't shown that scene they would have been accused of sanitising and dumbing down history or being to PC.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It's the BBC they get criticised no matter what they do, if they hadn't shown that scene they would have been accused of sanitising and dumbing down history or being to PC.

The drama was made by Kit Harrington and he clearly thought to bring some Game of Thrones style violence to it.

I've heard of hung, strewn and quartered, but never seen it and even on the drama, they left bits out. You never actually saw the head, or arms and legs being cut off, just the after effects.

It was violent times and as you say, the BBC could've been accused of dumbing down.

• Shame I can't get this in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, I've often wondered why we 'do' November the 5th. Maybe there's a lurking anarchist in all of us.

• Is iplayer blocked to you in Argentina, Splinter, because it was on there?

• The BBC is really very tight on location and requires a significant amount of VPN fiddling to achieve anything.

I usually give up.

• You have to register to use the iPlayer these days and yes it is blocked to non-UK IP#. You can use a VPN that has it's exit port in the UK but you still have to register.

IIRC later this year you'll have to enter your TV licence information to have access.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I am utterly fed up with the BBC now, because even to see a local weather map on their website, you have to sign-in. I don't want to be tracked by them or anyone else for that matter.

• You have to register to use the iPlayer these days and yes it is blocked to non-UK IP#. You can use a VPN that has it's exit port in the UK but you still have to register.

IIRC later this year you'll have to enter your TV licence information to have access.

That's just sick.

Not only that, I'm not even allowed to watch Six Nations' or any other sporting highlights on the BBC News site.

It's outrageous really, so I just go to YouTube and find the Six Nations' official channel.