Should British ISIS fighters be allowed to return home?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Driven out of their de facto capital of Raqqa after three brutal years, IS fighters have lost much of the territory they once held. How real is the danger they will now travel to other countries to carry out attacks, asks Dr Lorenzo Vidino.

As the self-declared Islamic State steadily crumbles in Iraq and Syria, security officials throughout the world are asking themselves a crucial question: what will happen to its fighters?

The "only way" to deal with British IS fighters in Syria is "in almost every case" to kill them, the minister for international development has said.

Rory Stewart said converts to so-called Islamic State believed in an "extremely hateful doctrine" and had moved away from any allegiance to Britain.

They can expect to be killed because of the "serious danger" they pose to the UK's security, he said.

Rory Stewart was one of our top diplomats in Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein and has chaired the defence committee. Do you agree with him?

As the 2nd article goes on to say, one of the UK's top lawyers wants returning ISIS fighters reintegrated into British society, but that begs the question, were they ever part of British society to begin with?

I know no one who dreams of jihad and if I did, I'd report them to the police immediately.

Should these fighters be allowed to come back to Britain?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I suppose we live in a society that should be locking them up rather than killing them though. There's probably a good reason for that, even for these scum, but I will let someone else put it forward.

• Should these fighters be allowed to come back to Britain?

That all depends what they are coming back here to do?

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• One of our top lawyers? , one of the reasons the law profession is held in such utter contempt by the working masses! The ISIS scum gave up all rights when they left , good riddance.

• Not allowed by choice. But if they manage to sneak in then the full force of the law should fall on them from a great height and they go to jail for a very long time.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• If loony liberals think they can "re-integrate" these psychos, then you're in big trouble.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• The fact that there are so many people in Britain who believe this question (as put forward by Forum Box's esteemed founder) needs debate is a depressing illustration of how timid, soft-brained or pedantic this country has become.

It may well be true that the the meek shall inherit the earth but I genuinely believe what they will inherit won't be worth spit.

• I suppose we live in a society that should be locking them up rather than killing them though. There's probably a good reason for that, even for these scum, but I will let someone else put it forward.

Not from me!

That all depends what they are coming back here to do?

How can we tell what they'll do, Ron?

One of our top lawyers? , one of the reasons the law profession is held in such utter contempt by the working masses! The ISIS scum gave up all rights when they left , good riddance.

Agree. It makes you wonder whose side some of these very left leaning lawyers are on, doesn't it?

• Not allowed by choice. But if they manage to sneak in then the full force of the law should fall on them from a great height and they go to jail for a very long time.

For what crime, though? Warfare doesn't come under crime, unless you're thinking along the lines of treason.

If loony liberals think they can "re-integrate" these psychos, then you're in big trouble.

Agree.

Should British ISIS fighters be allowed to return home?

Only in body bags.

That's my preferred option.

The fact that there are so many people in Britain who believe this question (as put forward by Forum Box's esteemed founder) needs debate is a depressing illustration of how timid, soft-brained or pedantic this country has become.

It may well be true that the the meek shall inherit the earth but I genuinely believe what they will inherit won't be worth spit.

For your information, I post threads in such a way as to garner a debate. Unless my opinion is explicitly stated, do not assume that is my opinion.

• How can we tell what they'll do, Ron?

And that's kind of my point safer not to allow them to return just in case they want to carry out a bit of terrorism, who knows what they will have been trained to do while they were away, better to be safe than sorry.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Ahh. I see. Yep, understand your point now.

I created the thread about the White Widow and her kid being killed, imagine if the both of them had retuned to the country.

The kid was involved in executions. Who would've sent their kids to the same school as the one he attended...? Better to leave them where they are and go into "paradise" or whatever they call it, after a drone strike has killed them.

• For what crime, though? Warfare doesn't come under crime, unless you're thinking along the lines of treason.

That's exactly what I would "do" them for. And if a certain TB hadn't removed the death penalty* for it they would go to the gallows.

*Covering his backside?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Better to kill 'em with a drone strike in a foreign land, Heero, rather than have to pay lawyers fees and having to endure giving them a fair trial.

As a rule of thumb, I am against the death penalty, but perhaps there are exceptions to that rule, this being one of them.

No British citizen who has fought for so-called Islamic State should be allowed back into the country, the defence secretary has said.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, Gavin Williamson said: "Quite simply, my view is a dead terrorist can't cause any harm to Britain."

He said everything should be done "to destroy and eliminate that threat."

At least 800 Britons have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight for IS and 130 of those have been killed in conflict.

Mr Williamson, who took over as defence secretary last month, told the newspaper: "I do not believe that any terrorist, whether they come from this country or any other, should ever be allowed back into this country."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42260814

It's a pity we haven't got a few more ministers like him. If we did have, instead of all this pussyfooting around about terrorists' rights we would all be a lot safer.

• It's a pity we haven't got a few more ministers like him. If we did have, instead of all this pussyfooting around about terrorists' rights we would all be a lot safer.

Can't say I was happy when he was appointed, one of May's yes men. No experience of government and certainly no experience of defence, so I wasn't best pleased.

With these comments today, I am warming to him. Fallon was far too weak a character and far too liberal, not traits you really want in a defence secretary.

Problem is the human rights lawyers. They are going to say that if we kill these people, "British" citizens, that is against their human rights. Hopefully this new defence secretary might come up with a suitable response to that, ie a new law saying it is lawful to kill terrorists, even if they do hold a British passport.

• What about their killing of people? Good show Gavin W anyway.

• I agree, LW. But as far as I understand it, under our (UK) law, it's technically illegal, so counts as murder by the State, or that's what the lawyers have said before.

• I think this new defence secretary has to be careful, because its almost like incitement to racial/religious hatred.

• I can't believe you have these mad laws.

• Oohhh - let me backtrack there a little. I don't know if there is a specific law, but when ISIS fighters have come back to Britain, lawyers have used human rights legislation to protect them. That's not the same as saying, they can't be killed if they are a threat to us, but its a grey area, a massive one. I'm not aware of any law, one way or the other, which defines what a enemy combatant is. That's the problem, when does a "British" citizen become a enemy combatant?

I take the view of May's new toyboy defence secretary. Kill 'em where they are, deal with the human rights lawyers later.

• It is a form of treason as they are fighting with the terrorists that have committed atrocities in Britain. Good enough for an accusation of treason. Besides the brutal nature of IS. That, alone, is something no one should be fighting for.

What about the human rights of UK citizens who could become the victims of returning fighters? What about the rights of the nation in general when a government allows terrorist fighters to live among its population on the thin excuse that they might be "re-integrated"? And if not? ...

Frankly, it's mad. And anyone who is against it is sane. IS represents the establishment of a Caliphate and its methods are brutal and against the tenets of the civilization that is extant in Britain. If this is in any way accepted, then the government that blithely let them back in is responsible for any recidivist atrocities that may occur.

People should bear this in mind while gazing limply at teddy bears, candles and love balloons after yet another vicious mass murder in the name of this organisation.