Should gambling be banned?

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• just think what will happen if you get to drunk and spent you morgege in one night. that's completely possible, you can ruin your life in a night on those machines

But as I am not a moron , I won't , not today , not ever , problem with Nanny state believers is that they seem to lack the intelligence to work out that these human beings will waste it elsewhere on other things, it is in their DNA to do so.

• But as I am not a moron , I won't , not today , not ever , problem with Nanny state believers is that they seem to lack the intelligence to work out that these human beings will waste it elsewhere on other things, it is in their DNA to do so.

I agree. Limiting the machines would help, but those who are addicted will find other ways. You cannot protect someone from themselves.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I agree with both sides of the argument here. Sorry, sounding like a true LIb Dem!=O^^

I do not think we understand addiction yet. It is a disease and as Fidget says, there will always be some people we cannot protect. In fact, there needs to be a cut off point, when we say no more money will be spent on those whose course is self-destruction.

But, here's where my views have changed on the Nanny State over the decades and especially over the last 15 or so when I got my new scum neighbours.

These people that live next to me haven't got a clue. I could use many words to describe them, but ignorant and lazy would sum them up for now. And now they have bred. They now have three children and they are being brought up in a toxic atmosphere.

I know I'm going off topic here, but I just wanted to give context here.

I do think in some circumstances we need a Nanny State, as some people are completely incapable of looking after themselves.

If people want to do hard core gambling, they will always find a way, but to have loads of these machines in people's faces needs to be controlled and as the latest story was over the amount of money you can put in any in single "play", yes that needs to be controlled, as the government will do - from October 2019... £100 plays is disgusting.

The government could bring this legislation forward and I admire the minister for taking a stand on this, as five people every day die from gambling addictions.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• So where do they draw the line and decide what is or isn't gambling, as there are adverts for various lotteries are lotteries considered gambling or not, what about online bingo sites should they be allowed to advertise?

Lottery is a form of gambling. I think gambling sites are restricted in adverts and there are only limited gambling niche in google. But gambling should not be banned cause there are many people enjoys to gamble and also want to win big prizes such as the lottery which offers massive jackpots in every draw. And the lottery commissions help some charities.