Should parents be restricted on what to name their kids?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.

Is it acceptable to name your baby "Jihad" in France, which has suffered Europe's worst Islamist terror attacks in recent years?

France's chief prosecutor now has to wrestle with that question after a couple's chosen name for their son was referred by authorities in Toulouse.

Interesting little story from France here about a decision a judge has got to make about whether he'll allow parents to name their kid Jihad.

It does beggar belief why parents would want to give their kid this name, especially in this age of Islamic terrorism, but these parents aren't the only ones to give their kids awful names.

Do you remember the names that David Beckham gave his kids? The name he gave his daughter was especially awful, he named her Harper Seven. Poor kid. A ridiculous name.

I am sure that for wealthy families like Beckham's, his kids go to private schools filled with lots of kids with exotic names, so his daughter probably won't be mocked for her name, but what about everyone else?

Should there be a law, or some kind of restriction preventing silly names for children? How would what is silly be defined?

If a parent wants to name their kid Toblerone or Cadbury's Creme Egg, isn't that their business? What if they choose Adolf Hitler or Osama bin Laden as names?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I agree that jihad in our time is a bloody impertenance if you're living in France. If you are hiding out in an IS stronghold, or foxhole, then way ta go, but you can't go round naming children with your personal obsessions. What if some hippy called the hapless newborn "weed"?

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I have fond memories of a young female called Little Weed :D

I suspect that a fair few of these exotically named children may well opt to change their forenames once they have to live in the real world. Others may well enjoy the uniqueness of a name that reflects the attempts of their parent's to either be less common than the proletariat masses or to impart a name that has a special meaning.

Some names, however, are just cruel and will undoubtedly force a child into conflict with anyone the come into contact with. Even after many years it would take a very strong, saintly and thick skinned adult to be happy to have been named Adolf or Judas. Whether the Law should be involved .... I don't know.

When my parents registered my birth names they had great difficultly getting the Registrar to accept the forenames they wanted to use. My first name is a hyphenated combination of my Paternal Grandparent's names and my middle name was my Maternal Grandfather's name. My parents made up a more feminine spelling for my second name but refused to budge over my first name and only consented to the removal of one of the hyphens. I must admit it caused me a few problems as a young girl and later with some employers but no one seems to even blink an eye when I tell them my given name now. I have never used my real world name on the internet, only because my name is so unique and I value my privacy, but in the real world at least there is no doubt who I am and I have never tried to use a shortened version.

• My middle name is not one I would ever advertise and I have thanks to my grandad (my mum's father) for that. She wanted something a bit more "sophisticated," my grandad had another term for it.:) I gather after months of arguments and as I was about to pop out into the world, they signed a peace treaty (^^) between them and what was to be my first name, became my middle one. Thank goodness!;)

I wonder if parents of today would know what Judas means?? Perhaps in time, the word Adolf will lose its significance. Just a random thought, there.

• Adolf is a common German name so it has less impact. I do know someone with a beautiful German Shepherd who named the poor dog Hitler. :rolleyes:

My first name was very unusual when I was born, but has now become quite common. My second name is Norwegian and was my mother's first name, but Norwegians often use their second names instead and so no one called her by her first name. She had five brothers and they used their second names too. ^^

My surname is my maiden name of my grandmother as my father changed his surname to avoid any bullying his children might undergo.

Where I am, I felt extremely foreignly named most of my life. But thank goodness the names were just unusual where I was and not daft quirks on the part of my parents.

Edited once, last by Little Wing: typo ().

• Now that transgender is becoming all the rage, Johnnie Cash's song A Boy Named Sue may well gain traction, just to keep the little mutt's options open.

Conspicuously absent in the French news item offered here as a topic is whether or not these mad or bad parents are Muslim.

If Muslim, the parents should be placed on 24 hour surveillance as a security risk.

If non-Muslim the parents should undergo compulsory psychiatric examination, just to check whether they are stupid but harmless or stupid and dangerous.

In any event there should be a government dossier which, although neutral, includes the fact that the parents have named their child "Jihad". This neutral document should be available as a credit check, security check, rental eligibility check, employment suitability check, which can be accessed by any bona fide authority. In that way, these parents will have pause for thought on the consequences of their decision.

The new born child will, when legally free of parental control, be permitted to change its name and expunge what was originally on its birth certificate and government dossier . If the child hasn't done this by age 18, it should be placed under surveillance.

• Adolf is a common German name so it has less impact. I do know someone with a beautiful German Shepherd who named the poor dog Hitler.

Neither do I. Total idiots.

My now (deceased) uber scum neighbour named his dogs Nuts and Nits and when his grandson was born (who lives next to me with his scum dad) Grandad Scum suggested to his son that the kid be named after one of the dogs.:SX/

I'll get into all this in my future Neighbours from Hell thread, but lets put it like this, one of those names would have been quite apt considering events that followed.

• Your particular neighbours sound like dungballs on legs , H.

• My parents were very careful selecting names for us kids, checking what short forms might be used and also what the initials might be used to make up names by other kids. If they'd followed family tradition I would have been called James but they broke with that and made it my middle name.

I do think there should be some kind of cross check when birth certificates are issued, maybe by computer, and parents advised to change a name if it was seen to be a problem or just plain daft. What really gets me is the variations of a name like "Jamie" which seem to be the result of the partents total inability to spell.

Didn't Arnold Rimmer (Red Dwarf) have a middle name of Judas?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• My parents were very careful selecting names for us kids, checking what short forms might be used and also what the initials might be used to make up names by other kids. If they'd followed family tradition I would have been called James but they broke with that and made it my middle name.

Yes, I've noticed you get a lot of Jamie's, Ronnie's Freddy's (very popular in my area) etc as being used as the official first name, rather than the original longer version of James, Ronald and Frederick.

I do think there should be some kind of cross check when birth certificates are issued, maybe by computer, and parents advised to change a name if it was seen to be a problem or just plain daft. What really gets me is the variations of a name like "Jamie" which seem to be the result of the partents total inability to spell.

Ah, that's the point of this topic! That would require a law, but then who gets to decide what is stupid and what is not. Jamie is fine, in my opinion, Harper 7, is not.

I used to have a childhood friend (and perhaps his parents had a sweet tooth, like me) who named their son Curly-Wurly as his official first name. So, you can imagine the nick names he used to get called spanning the whole confectionery range!:)

Didn't Arnold Rimmer (Red Dwarf) have a middle name of Judas?

Don't know, but I don't have a problem with that particular name. As religion is fading in this country, so is the significance of using that name.

• Some parents have always needed to stand back and really think before they land their poor kids into a whole load of torment. One of my childhood friends had his life made a misery by giving him the forename Russell. Not a bad name I hear you comment.

Well it was when you consider his surname was Sprout.

• Some people are just idiots and selfish and the Harper-7 remark that I made earlier in this thread, I think, is one of the worst examples I have ever come across. Perhaps, Beckham is playing clever and it's just a name he uses for his daughter when talking to the media about her. I don't know, but its ridiculous.