Fireworks on sale to general public could be used by Jihadi terrorists to make bombs.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • A warning has been given by the national counter terrorism security office that fireworks on sale to the general public could be used by Jihadi terrorist to make bombs.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4797194/j…office-warning/

Well I would have thought that was obvious, maybe it's time to stop fireworks being sold to members of the public, maybe introduce a licence for those who want to purchase and use fireworks as part of a display or whatever.

• They would have to buy an awful lot of fireworks Ron, to make bombs out of them.

I think and its only a think, that a licence is required if you want to do a large scale fireworks show, like the ones done by councils. I'm not sure about having licences for the public though.

• Hate fireworks as they are today. When I was a child fireworks were pretty displays of showering sparks and colour and the occasional rocket that invariably caused terrible injuries, fires and frightened wildlife and elderly people. Today the wretched things are like bombs and fireworks nights in the suburbs are like war zones. I dread New Year's Eve when this is splattered over the city and animals are terrified and wildlife is injured. Fireworks are pyrotechnics in the hands of idiots and should be banned from sale to the public.

While I'm on the subject, I also detest huge, expensive, incredibly polluting displays. Every year the same boring old performance and the stupid competition between cities to have the best polluting, noisy, madly expensive display. The whole thing has become intolerable and people just don't see what it leaves behind. Especially when it pours its chemical residue into rivers or other water systems.

• They would have to buy an awful lot of fireworks Ron, to make bombs out of them.

I think and its only a think, that a licence is required if you want to do a large scale fireworks show, like the ones done by councils. I'm not sure about having licences for the public though.

Judging by the size of some of the fireworks I have seen on sale I don't think you would actually need that many.

• Fireworks were invented by the Mongolians to chuck at each other in conflict. It doesn't surprise me that modern aggro merchants might see the potential in this as an urban warfare weapon.

• Judging by the size of some of the fireworks I have seen on sale I don't think you would actually need that many.

There are some big bangers, no doubt about it.

Fireworks were invented by the Mongolians to chuck at each other in conflict. It doesn't surprise me that modern aggro merchants might see the potential in this as an urban warfare weapon.

These days, instead of Mongolians, we have teenagers and scum neighbours.^^

• With the gradual decline of the home fireworks party, the majority of trade went to larger, professional displays.

Problem is, that means there's no market for the traditional, small sized rockets and bangers, so where they are still available to the public, it's mostly fireworks of the larger sizes which are being bought.

Maybe the answer is to have a limit on firework size, with the larger ones only sold to licenced professionals, encouraging the production of more of the smaller types?

• I remember the hand held sparklers, the lovely roman candles, golden showers and all sorts of magical small scale fireworks that Plastic M has mentioned. It would be lovely for children if these returned instead of the awful war zone stuff they allow the public to buy now.

• There should certainly be restrictions on those large block type fireworks that are available some of them with up to and above 100 fireworks in one, the ones I remember as a kid were the single rockets, Catherine wheels, roman candle and golden shower types as well as the sparklers, but then I only ever remember seeing and hearing fireworks around November 5th when I was growing up, now we get them at new year, where we have the annual around the globe Large city pissing contest for who can waste the most money on them which all kicked off during he millennium new year celebrations if I remember rightly.

• If those two got in, it would be Gerry Adams organising bonfire night, he's good at that kind of stuff.

In my area, the fireworks started two weeks ago and yesterday the air bombs (I think that's what they're called) are back and they sound like bombs. I do think those should be banned, in fact I thought they were as I haven't heard them for 3-4 years.

Also, last night, some group of brats decided to let off a firework by one of our cars. I actually thought they were placing the firework under the car, but it travelled sidewards down the pavement. Luckily no one was on the pavement at the time, otherwise they probably would have lost a eye or two.

I think the idea put forward by Plastic Mackem seems sensible to me that only smaller fireworks can be bought by the public and the larger bangers reserved for public displays only.

• Once again we have cries of ban this, ban that , let's all give up now and just let uncle Jeremy and auntie Diane run our miserable lives for us .

Not ban, just restrict the sale of the larger fireworks to licenced display organises only, have you seen the size of some of them, the 100+ block type that are available to buy have no place being sold to the general public.

If those two got in, it would be Gerry Adams organising bonfire night, he's good at that kind of stuff.

Yeah old Jezza would be allowing them to build Jihadi training camps and bomb factories so that the British jihadi don't have to bother going to Syria to learn their trade, would also be encouraging us to hug a Jihadi, just make sure they aren't wearing a suicide bomb vest when you do.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!