Changes to Freeview transmission discussion (with a techie edge)

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • There's a few OFCOM announcements on various matters today, this tweet covers the topic of one regards Digital Terrestrial TV .

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ..... that's a biggie!

Only the first sentence is new information. And to me it just looks like the Government either trying to look busy by loudly saying they'll look into it, or trying to put make the broadcasters fall into line by indirectly threatening their future, or both.

International decisions, such as the already known one mentioned, are the most influential in matters of this type. For example, they've lead to both the clearing of 800Mhz and 700Mhz ranges for mobile phone use and have affected Digital Terrestrial reception, with mass retunes as multiplexes have moved frequencies.

• There's a few OFCOM announcements on various matters today, this tweet covers the topic of one regards Digital Terrestrial TV .

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think anybody wanting FTA television would now be advised to go the Freesat route if any financial outlay is needed to do so.

• I think anybody wanting FTA television would now be advised to go the Freesat route if any financial outlay is needed to do so.

I'll have to look into what's needed to support the satellite tuner in our Sony Bravia TV. At the moment we have a loft antenna to have Freeview as a reserve service to VM's V6 box. Some sort of dish is in order.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I'll have to look into what's needed to support the satellite tuner in our Sony Bravia TV. At the moment we have a loft antenna to have Freeview as a reserve service to VM's V6 box. Some sort of dish is in order.

I'd imagine you just plug the satellite cable in, and select the specific Setup option in the Menu.

Freeview is the backup on our main TV, which has a V6 also. Freesat supplies a couple other TVs in the home.

• I can't remember if Mark C on Digital Spy is one of the ones with insider (or sorts) knowledge, but as far as I recall he's pretty reliable.

Anyhoo, they wrote this which suggests something might by up on BBCB/PSB3 soon.

"Indeed, though I think it's probably worth keeping an eye on the null packets in PSB 3 in the coming weeks ;)"

• Various changes taking place on 25th May. It's a mixture of closures and swaps. One is billed on Freeview website as a "name change" but it actually seems to be change of different sort, a channel turning into a IP Portal Service, or a launch screen for an App.

Channel Name Changes

Current Name

New Name

Channel Number

Pop Max

Pop Player

Channel Number Changes

Channel

Current Number

New Number

Horror

CBS Justice

Channel Closures

Channel

Channel Number

Kiss Chat and Date

Proud Dating

ADULT Xpanded

Together TV

Changes to Pop Max includes increase in coverage with the channel now only available on internet connected devices.

There will be no changes to broadcast hours for these channels.

Channel Changes and closures on Freeview
    On 25th May 2022 some broadcasters are making important changes to their family of channels.
    www.freeview.co.uk
  • The following is a conversation from Digital Spy. It's still not completely clear what exactly shows on a TV that meets the requirements. I'll endeavour to find out, as I'm curious.

I think Pop Max is going national as there a note at the bottom of the page saying increase in coverage only available on internet connected devices

Youview (user name not the service) Not quite.

Pop Max the TV channel on the G-MAN mux is being removed from Freeview channel number 208, and will be replaced by the Pop Player app on SDN/COM4 which includes content from Pop, Tiny Pop and Pop Max

• This RXTV article seems to answer the Pop Player questions. It sounds like it offers features of the App of the same name (available on Freeview Play TVs) and provides an IP stream of Pop Max. So it expands the availability of Pop services to those with Internet capable TVs that aren't Freeview Play.

So it's an IP streamed channel and a Portal. Not an app launcher.

Pop Player secures Freeview slot | RXTV info
    Pop Player, a streaming service for young viewers is now available across a wider range of Freeview devices.
    rxtvinfo.com
  • bob.h posted this on the Digital Spy forums. Official confirmation of something changing on DTT. 8) :thumbup:

---------

I asked BBC reception advice if they were planning to relocate their channels on COM7. I got this response, from 4th Jan:

• Official confirmation that when COM7 closes the BBC will be moving CBeebies HD and BBC4 HD to PSB3, aka BBCB.

BBC News HD is closing on Freeview. They've clearly decided there's only enough space for one extra HD stream on that multiplex.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7

Though for much of the time BBC News will still be available in HD to Freeview users when it's simulcast on BBC1 & BBC2. I imagine that this is why they chose to drop it's dedicated channel as opposed to the others.

• Good point Richard, although in this day and age, a dedicated HD channel is still needed.

Cheeky, thanks for all the articles and posts in the last 3 weeks or so, lots of reading to catch up on there! :) :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!