Changes to Freeview transmission discussion (with a techie edge)

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • The Service IDs for BBC4 HD and CBeebies HD have appeared on BBCB/PSB3.

Thanks to @a516digital on Twitter for heads-up.

Mike on Twitter
    “Ahead of BBC Four HD and CBeebies HD moving Freeview multiplexes later this month, two new Service IDs - 18046 for BBC Four HD and 18176 for CBeebies HD have…
    twitter.com

I chose a random area on DigitalBitRate and can confirm they have appeared.

• RadioMike on Digital Spy wrote this.

Reminder also that SDN (Com4) is advertising a 24/7 stream available on Com 4 with a closing date for offers of Fri 17 June - interesting to see if any of Freesports, PBS America, That's TV or Forces TV etc bid for that.

I don't know the source, but it's very specific, and soon.

• I don't think that any of those are rich channels, but I doubt that That's TV have two pennies to rub together. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

My guesses...

I'm half expecting Arqiva to offer to timeshare the exRT slot if they can't find any one "buyer" from their current customers on COM7, or anyone else, can't afford the going rate to take on a full broadcast stream. Though they may be subject to the newest rules where a channel has to broadcast at least 6 hours a day...it used to be 2 as far as I recall, though existing services may still come under the old rules, I think that change may only apply to new services since they changed them.

As for the COM4 slot (that advertised one) I'm not sure what will take that up. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a surprising outcome.

The free slot on the Local multiplex will either go the company behind Great!/Pop or a shopping channel.

The new "Ideal" got a license for BrandsTV a wee bit back, so I can see that popping up on COM4 or the Local mux.

I just hope FreeSports gets a 24hrs slot somewhere. It's good for all the smaller sports if they (the sports, I mean) have an outlet.

• Yeah, timesharing may well be an option, i'd not considered that.

If there aren't many channels wanting to launch, maybe the laws of supply & demand will bring the prices of spare capacity down to a reasonable level that these poorer channels can afford??

If Freesports does come off, I believe that it will still be available on Freeview via the Internet. An EPG slot would probably be the best way to do it.

• I can’t see any worthwhile channels popping up on Freeview now, Richard. The platform won’t be around in just over a decade. The spectrum will be more profitably used for 5G+.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Yeah, timesharing may well be an option, i'd not considered that.

If there aren't many channels wanting to launch, maybe the laws of supply & demand will bring the prices of spare capacity down to a reasonable level that these poorer channels can afford??

If Freesports does come off, I believe that it will still be available on Freeview via the Internet. An EPG slot would probably be the best way to do it.

It needs a broadcast version to retain Channel 65, otherwise it'll have to go into the 260s-270s part of the Freeview EPG. There's a range in the higher numbers they've allocated for future IP channels but I can't recall what the specifics are, they haven't started using it yet though.

The prices will only come down if spaces remain empty for long enough.

I can’t see any worthwhile channels popping up on Freeview now, Richard. The platform won’t be around in just over a decade. The spectrum will be more profitably used for 5G+.

5G Broadcast, which is a separate standard to 5G, will likely come in to replace DVB-T/DVB-T2 as the Digital Terrestrial standard, though there will be less channels by then.

• Regarding the 4Music news ---> 4Music changing

I was just thinking, what with E4's demographic being less into broadcast, maybe Channel 4 would sacrifice E4+1 on Freeview and keep the New 4Music on the platform. As it stands, with the COM7 closure, there will soon be no Music channels on Freeview via broadcast transmission. A music channel would surely be more worthwhile on Freeview for Channel 4 than a timeshift. Just an idea, I'm not saying it's likely.

• Don't know Cheeky. I guess it all comes down to which makes them the more ad money.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• First notification I've seen, outside of the BBC HD news, of a channel talking about COM7 closure.

PBS America +1 will, unsurprisingly, be closing rather than finding a new home on a free DTT broadcast stream.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• First notification I've seen, outside of the BBC HD news, of a channel talking about COM7 closure.

PBS America +1 will, unsurprisingly, be closing rather than finding a new home on a free DTT broadcast stream.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Forces TV have also confirmed that they will be closing on all platforms from 30 June.

The loss of Freeview eyeballs must have meant that the channel would become unsustainable.

As is the modern way of spin, the official reason is that they are closing it 'to concentrate on their main BFBS channel'. Don't know why they just couldn't be honest, i'd have expected better from a charity.

• Forces TV have also confirmed that they will be closing on all platforms from 30 June.

The loss of Freeview eyeballs must have meant that the channel would become unsustainable.

As is the modern way of spin, the official reason is that they are closing it 'to concentrate on their main BFBS channel'. Don't know why they just couldn't be honest, i'd have expected better from a charity.

I put it on a separate thread since it was all platforms. --> Forces TV closing entirely?

They may not have been blunt, but it's still acting to ensure they continue to provide their core reasons for existing to the best of their ability. It's not dishonest to say they are concentrating on that. It's a shame they used marketing/PR blandness to do it, but that's how all but the smallest organisations do it these days. There's no need to be glass half full about it, there's a heck of a lot worse on the marketing/PR bull-o-meter. Their social media people are being very good regards responding to others responses to the news, at least what I've seen.

• It would have made more sense to close Com 7 when the frequencies were actually required by EE.

Yeah, though the opposite was allowed. EE being allowed to claim it before this closure date provided they give 3 months notice.

I'd imagine the current end date was written into the auction process, and maybe even was partly brought about because of the international agreements to use certain frequencies for certain uses.

It also may make no commercial sense if there's continually an axe hanging, one with short notice.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!