Changes to Freeview transmission discussion (with a techie edge)

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Some of the channels are apparently showing on-screen messages, I'll see which. According to RXTV other changes include:

Quest Red +1
    Together TV
    That's Music

...are all staying with unspecified multiplexes with increased coverage.

Now 80s is staying but moves to Manchester mux.

More4+1 is closing.
    As is the Craft Extra placeholder that's been in legal limbo.

Two days of Freeview retuning: your guide to all the changes | RXTV info
    Viewers will need to take action on Freeview retune day to continue receiving all available Freeview channels in their area.
    rxtvinfo.com
  • Official Freeview page about the changes.

Channel Changes and closures on Freeview on 29th & 30th June
    On 29th & 30th June 2022 there are changes being made to the way some channels are currently broadcast.
    www.freeview.co.uk

What is changing on 29th June?

The following channels will be making changes to the way they are broadcast on 29th June 2022. You will need to retune your TV to continue watching these channels.

Channel Name Changes

Current NameNew NameChannel Number
    4 MusicE4 Extra31

Broadcast Changes

Channel NameChangeChannel Number
    Together TVIncreased coverage83
    That’s TV (UK)Increased coverage91
    Quest Red +1Increased coverage71
    BBC FOUR HDIncreased coverage106
    CBeebies HDIncreased coverage205<

Channel closures or no longer available on Freeview

Channel NameChannel Number
    Craft Extra95

What is changing on 30th June?

The following channels will be making changes to the way they are broadcast on 30th June 2022. You will need to retune your TV to continue watching these channels.

Channel Name Changes

Current NameNew NameChannel Number
    HorrorLegend41

Broadcast Changes

Channel NameChangeChannel NumberNew channel Number
    Now 80’sReduction in coverage, now available in Manchester only7777
    That’s MusicRebranding to “Classic Hits” and increasing coverage9291
    CBS DramaRebranding to Reality Xtra and reduction to coverage6868

Channel Number Changes

Channel NameCurrent ChannelNew Channel
    That’s TV (UK)9165

Channel closures or no longer available on Freeview

Channel NameChannel Number
    Freesports65
    CBS Justice69
    More4+186
    PBS America+187
    Forces TV96
    BBC News HD107
    QVC HD111
    QVC Beauty HD112
    Quest HD114
  • I never expected them to be able to afford it. I actually thought that they would close and Freesports would stay.

That's not the one that surprised me.

Depending on the slot it has, Together TV is the surprising one. If, and I emphasis, if, it has a full slot, it suggests to me the price of the broadcast streams was pushed up so much that it ended up their gifted space was much larger than they might have been expecting.

I've always been under the impression Premier Sports closed Freesports on Freesat to save some pennies and cobble together the money to pay for Freeview. I wouldn't be surprised if the above price inflation, and the prices of sports rights in the interim, have meant that DTT became unaffordable.

Now this is resolved I wouldn't be surprised if Freesports, instead of going encrypted on Satellite, as some are expecting, returns to Freesat, now the need to save money for DTT is off the table.

I was expecting That's TV UK is stay in some form, even if it was part-time. Same, to a lesser extent, That's Music (soon to be Classic Hits), possibly even on that Local mux space.

And on that matter, if RXTV sources are correct about Reality Xtra (ex-CBS Drama) moving to the Local mux, that's VERY surprising. Coupled with the apparent move to close CBS Justice and not replace it with Horror Xtra on Freeview.

Clearly the CBS/AMC joint venture is in cost cutting mode as they seemingly part ways. That CBS Reality is apparently staying branded CBS makes me wonder if CBS kept that one channel and AMC are keeping Reality Xtra, hence the lack of branding.

• PBS America is gaining an extra hour on Freeview from 1st July.

Source: @afzok on Twitter alerted RXTV to this news about PBS America Freeview hours change.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/pbs-ameri…ght-on-freeview

So do they broadcast from 8am to 2am or 1pm to 11pm/midnight? It's confusing as both are referred to.

They tweeted the other week that they were hoping to go 24 hours, I guess their negotiations didn't work out.

• So do they broadcast from 8am to 2am or 1pm to 11pm/midnight? It's confusing as both are referred to.

They tweeted the other week that they were hoping to go 24 hours, I guess their negotiations didn't work out.

1pm-11pm. The other time is when is when it broadcasts itself and doesn't give to a shopping channel on other TV platforms.

Freeview timeshares

The only tweet I saw didn't say 24 hours, it said, to my recollection, they were looking to extend their hours, with no specifics. This does that.

• Seems to be death by a thousand cuts on Freeview at the moment.

The Freeview set we use every day couldn't even receive Freesports, unfortunately, and I can get it on three of the other TVs, so that, and the other changes, won't lessen the Freeview usage here. And actually there will be more services on the most used Freeview device, rather than less, so we'll see how that changes things.

• PBS just confirmed the move on social media (not that I didn't believe that it was in their newsletter).

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 1pm-11pm. The other time is when is when it broadcasts itself and doesn't give to a shopping channel on other TV platforms.

http://www.xhxf.uk/timeshares/

The only tweet I saw didn't say 24 hours, it said, to my recollection, they were looking to extend their hours, with no specifics. This does that.

So it broadcasts from 8am to 2am on satellite etc, but only from 1pm to 11pm/midnight on Freeview. Have I got that right?

• Yeah, confirmed as sharing with TJC shopping channel between 2am and 8am on my V6 just now.

I have a distant memory that it was 24/7 when it launched, could be wrong though.

I guess it helps to bring some money in at a time when most people won't be watching. They say that the lowest point when people are watching television is 4 to 6am. Those stopping up late have finally gone to bed and those rising early don't put the TV on until 6am, probably for breakfast TV.

• I have a distant memory that it was 24/7 when it launched, could be wrong though.

I guess it helps to bring some money in at a time when most people won't be watching. They say that the lowest point when people are watching television is 4 to 6am. Those stopping up late have finally gone to bed and those rising early don't put the TV on until 6am, probably for breakfast TV.

Unless the kids decide otherwise... =O :S :sleeping: ^^

• RXTV appears to have had confirmation Together TV is taking the 3am-7am slot in COM5 (sharing with Smithsonian Channel) and utilising HbbTV technology to deliver the channel outside these hours.

Together TV launching Freeview HbbTV service | RXTV info
    Lifestyle and social change channel Together TV becomes a hybrid service as a result of wider changes to Freeview this week.
    rxtvinfo.com

So if I wanted to watch via Freeview it would only be early, as my Smart TV, aside from not being connected to the internet, doesn't support HbbTV. And the other Freeview devices in the house are SD-only, without internet support of any sort.

• So if I wanted to watch via Freeview it would only be early, as my Smart TV, aside from not being connected to the internet, doesn't support HbbTV. And the other Freeview devices in the house are SD-only, without internet support of any sort.

I mention this because some people on Forums act like all "Smart TVs" are the same. They aren't. Usually all Freeview Play branded ones can be relied on being fairly similar as Freeview Play has a set of specifications that must be adhered to to use the Play branding, but non-Play branded Smart TVs have all sorts of standards and specs, and therefore incompatibilities.

IP Fallback won't be universal when introduced. Like HD swaps, it will likely only work on newer Smart TVs.

Even Play-branded TVs can have incompatibilities, as they don't need to do older technology e.g. MHEG. So they miss out on things like the Red Button Text Service (getting phased out obviously, but some people will buy new TVs who still wanted to use this).

Another thing. People shouldn't assume because someone has a "Smart TV" that that owner has connected it to the internet.

They might choose not to setup even if they do have internet in their home.

• The most interesting part of today's retune is Classic Hits is a slate that says "Back at 1am". It looks, at the moment, like the former That's Music service is timesharing, possibly with the main Thats TV UK.

So maybe there's more space on DTT after the COM7 closure than many expected, maybe the prices got so high that services decided to close than pay silly money.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!