Changes to Freeview (with a techie edge)

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I see, thank you, Cheeky. They should rent it out, then and put as much of the income from that into programming for the remaining channels.

BBC A is the main problem, it can't be rented out. If the space isn't used the BBC will be accused of wasting resources. Catch-22.

• There wasn't a lot of point copying the changes made in Scotland to accommodate it to the rest of the UK, like they did, if they aren't going to take advantage of it.

Scottish BBC A configurations are still significantly different to the rest of the UK. All of the radio streams have a different configuration and the TV audio streams in Scotland use at a lower bitrate. There are other differences but the audio streams are the most obvious.

• Scottish BBC A configurations are still significantly different to the rest of the UK. All of the radio streams have a different configuration and the TV audio streams in Scotland use at a lower bitrate. There are other differences but the audio streams are the most obvious.

Surprised to hear that. My source is normally pretty reliable with DTT tech stuff. Ta.

• Beeb could simply give up the 7pm to 6am slot, but obviously not

BBC shutdown for the night...who would have thought it ;) It wasn't that long ago. If the BBC don't make money from advertisements then they can make money from data. I bet they make a fair bit from catch up services, iPlayer.

While the experts are here who owns the Drama channel on freeview, not the CBS Drama there's another that is currently running re-runs of classic EastEnders (4.3) at approx 3.30 am every week night (or is that morning :rolleyes:) at the moment. Somebody must be paying the BBC for that.

• Drama is part of UKTV, which is owned by the BBC's commercial arm, so the BBC is basically paying itself for that content.

The BBC can only use the data from iPlayer for internal purposes, the UKTV Play service on the other hand can have different rules as it isn't paid for by the License Fee.

• Thank you. It's complicated then if the BBC have ownership of others under a different name. That's like a backdoor to bypass the restrictions that the BBC channels have. Drama has advertisements and they also play some old ITV soaps. So the BBC has their fingers in other pots.

• BBC shutdown for the night...who would have thought it ;) It wasn't that long ago. If the BBC don't make money from advertisements then they can make money from data. I bet they make a fair bit from catch up services, iPlayer.

While the experts are here who owns the Drama channel on freeview, not the CBS Drama there's another that is currently running re-runs of classic EastEnders (4.3) at approx 3.30 am every week night (or is that morning :rolleyes:) at the moment. Somebody must be paying the BBC for that.

A lovely sign-off, remember that well. How things have degraded since then and I'm not just referring to tv either.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Yep I know exactly what you mean. I do wonder how much of it is part of growing old. My Grandad used to moan about things but Nan was more optimistic and always tried to see the good in everything. I think I'm turning into my Grandad. Now all we need is a re-run of Love Thy Neighbour or maybe they can make a modern version that includes Brexit. :D We need more abuse and less political correctness on the box. 'power to the people' from the top of Tooting Bec tube station.

• Thank you. It's complicated then if the BBC have ownership of others under a different name. That's like a backdoor to bypass the restrictions that the BBC channels have. Drama has advertisements and they also play some old ITV soaps. So the BBC has their fingers in other pots.

BBC Studios not the BBC. The BBC charter doesn't allow it to engage in commercial activity. The purpose of BBC Studios is to raise additional funds for the BBC from, say, programme sales overseas or to commercial companies. BBC Studios (or BBC Worldwide before the commercial divisions were merged) used to be a joint shareholder of UK but the shareholding not owned by the BBC has changed hands several times over the years, which gave the BBC a headache every time (were the new shareholders a suitable partner etc). Discovery was the last joint shareholder. The BBC and Discovery decided to split the assets and break up the company, the BBC keeping some of the channels and the UKTV name. Discovery took on the rest of the channels and some of the more prominent freeview channel numbers. UKTV didn't have free access to the BBC archives with joint ownership, now it does, which gives UKTV more options for monetising the content.

Nobody in the industry wants the BBC to start competing in the advertising market, if that was to happen, the existing commercial broadcasters would be threatened.

Basically, BBC Studios exists, at arms length, so that the BBC doesn't need to have its fingers in other "pots".

• Moaning as you get older is very natural.

I don't think political correctness is the problem or the reason with where things seem to be going.

• Moaning as you get older is very natural.

I don't think political correctness is the problem or the reason with where things seem to be going.

Oh I dunno. I've always found moaning comes naturally, especially for the British. And then you meet an American and realise we are just amateur moaners. :D

• I emailed Britbox to ask when it would be available on my BT TV. They replied that they had rolled it out to 70% of users, and to keep checking

Why they haven't rolled it out to everyone was not explained

• I emailed Britbox to ask when it would be available on my BT TV. They replied that they had rolled it out to 70% of users, and to keep checking

It is probably because there are different BT boxes, and they each use slightly different tech, I think I read.

There are always loopholes! It's up to the government as to whether they plug them.

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

It's not on Sky or Virgin Media either, and I'm not sure that either of them are particularly impressed.

Best to access it on your smart tv or get a Roku or Amazon Fire stick in the meantime if you want it sooner rather than later.

Protect the vulnerable and get back to work

• Seems an odd move as I thought that Now 70's was doing really well.

It is, relatively speaking, but on Freeview they gave it the most expensive carriage type i.e. a main national multiplex with 90% coverage. This coverage is of course partially responsible for the relatively good viewing figures.

• It is, relatively speaking, but on Freeview they gave it the most expensive carriage type i.e. a main national multiplex with 90% coverage. This coverage is of course partially responsible for the relatively good viewing figures.

I suppose it's always a trade off for operators between carriage costs & coverage.

• I suppose it's always a trade off for operators between carriage costs & coverage.

I'm amazed they didn't just go back to their previous strategy of taking an early morning slot for a couple of hours to keep their channel number. Then those with internet enabled TVs can stream the rest of the day like before.

• It looks like Pick HD might be starting on Freesat:

FreeSat changes

I suspect it will only be temporary to cater for the FTA football, with this in mind I wonder if it will come to Freeview on one of the temporary HD muxes??

• Hochanda is apparently extending its Freeview hours from 1st July.

Currently ends at 7pm, will change to 10pm.

Source: stuharris63 on Digital Spy.

That'll make the remaining space on that stream less attractive. If it gets filled it's more likely to be an "Adult" service or a +1 I'd imagine. Obvious candidates, in my opinion, are ITV4+1 and ITVBe+1 which are already on this (ITV-owned) multiplex as placeholders.

• On-screen message on Channel 4+1 HD (Freeview channel 109 on COM7) says it's closing on 22nd June.

Source: kasg on Digital Spy

On-screen message on Forces TV (Freeview channel 96 on COM8) says it's moving frequencies on 22nd June.

Source: gardner1 on Digital Spy

Forces TV is likely moving to a multiplex with wider coverage as that's where there's space currently.

• Just noticed this.

Looks like either COM7 or COM8 or both are closing!

Important channel broadcast changes

From 22 June 2020 changes are being made to the way some channels are currently broadcast.

Following a decision by Ofcom to make more bandwidth available for mobile data, and after discussions with channels impacted, the transmitter operator Arqiva has chosen to stop transmitting services on some specific airwaves.

Unfortunately, this means some +1 and HD TV services will be closing. Given the nature of these channels, Freeview viewers won’t lose access to any specific content, and can continue watching main channels and access HD content via on demand services such as All4 and My5 via Freeview Play.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/hel…channel-broadcast-changes

• They've either added to the article or I didn't scroll enough ;-)

Sounds like only one of the two Temporary multiplexes is closing then.

The following are going to need a rescan according to article linked above. One is changing channel number too.

Shopping quarter74
    BBC Four HD106
    CBeebies HD205
    QVC HD111
    QVC Beauty112
    Quest HD114
    FreeSports64
    NOW 80’s83
    PBS America + 193
    Forces TV96
    Together+189
    CBS Dramamoving channel from 71 to 67
  • A bit more copy'n-pasting from that Freeview announcement (link two posts above).

The following channels will cease broadcasting from Monday 22 June 2020:

Channel nameChannel number
    Channel 4+1 HD109
    4Seven HD110
    TJC HD115
    5Star+155
    5USA+156
    CBS Reality+167
    CBS Justice+169
  • I wonder how the elderly cope with all these constant rescans?

It used to be the case that you turned on the tv and the channels were there, but now constant rescans are required all the time.

Thanks for all the info cheeky.:thumbup:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.