Changes to Freeview (with a techie edge)

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I think the BBC will fully absorb what's left of UKTV at some point and give the channels BBC branding and/or incorporate the shows into Britbox.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• That would open a can of worms. It would be difficult for the BBC to resist pressure for it to move from the licence fee to advertising if BBC Studios decided to run BBC branded commercial channels.

• Dave Ja Vu, even as a +1, has traditionally had reasonable viewing figures, so may bring in more advertising revenue than Eden.

I'm aware of that. My reasoning was simply that previous UKTV channels going FTA had significant increase in viewers and Eden (or any rebrand, genre changes version of it) would probably equal the ratings of Dave Ja Vu if it was FTA.

Eden's ratings are poor, especially compared to the rest of the UKTV portfolio, it either has to go FTA or close IMHO.

BARB ratings for UKTV channels Oct 2019

Drama 1.35

Drama +1 0.02

Dave 0.91

Dave Ja Vu 0.13

Yesterday 0.67

Yesterday+1 0.02

Gold 0.47

Gold +1 0.03

W 0.45

W +1 0.02

Alibi 0.25

Alibi +1 0.03

Eden 0.03

Eden +1 0.01

• That would open a can of worms. It would be difficult for the BBC to resist pressure for it to move from the licence fee to advertising if BBC Studios decided to run BBC branded commercial channels.

Indeed. Back in 1992 when the first of the UKTV channels started, UK Gold, it was intended to brand it/them as BBC channels (BBC Gold IIRC), but they didn't because, as you say, it would have opened up a real can of worms.

• TBN UK has moved to PSB3 today.

According to RXTVlog the old version will remain in place until "early 2020" on 794.

https://www.rxtvlog.com/p/freeview-updates.html

So this means whatever channel gets their old slot on COM5 won't have it over the holidays.

However, the old version of E4+1 (ch 793) has been removed today, also from COM5, so one channel might be able to take that space in time for the holidays.

• There have been so many silly channel names now I've become rather immune to them. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the channel idents for Yaaas have variations of a person saying it aloud with an arm in the air, as if in celebration. That's certainly an interpretation of the name I've seen, and it sounds plausible.

• There have been so many silly channel names now I've become rather immune to them. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the channel idents for Yaaas have variations of a person saying it aloud with an arm in the air, as if in celebration. That's certainly an interpretation of the name I've seen, and it sounds plausible.

Haha, yes I can well imagine that as they try to 'get down with the kids' ?

• It's a streaming service and presumably MHEG-IC, so perhaps someone, somewhere, is saying "MHEG-IC isn't quite dead yet.. Yaaas!!!"

Ahem!

I believe it's run by the same people as the Ketchup service that is already on Freeview, so it's likely using the same type of standards for streaming.

• Probably MHEG-IC, the guy who did in depth analysis of data streams has been working in Holland for a while, which is a shame as there's a lot of stuff that could use more analysis at the moment. I don't actually have Freeview Play so don't know about the newer stuff but, I think, it is mainly app based.

• I've often wondered why the channels missing on Freeview Lite don't stream too, so that most, if not all, people can access their channels.

• I've often wondered why the channels missing on Freeview Lite don't stream too, so that most, if not all, people can access their channels.

Cost.

Some new internet broadcasting standards are coming in I believe, so maybe they will implement it in a more cost effective way.

• Cost.

Some new internet broadcasting standards are coming in I believe, so maybe they will implement it in a more cost effective way.

I believe that streaming is a lot cheaper than using traditional broadcasting methods on DTT, though viewers seems to like it less and there are some STB's that can't show various streams.

• I wouldn't have thought that the streams linked to freeview are very robust, so maybe only really suited to niche content. They were always doomed to low viewing figures as many TVs aren't MHEG-IC capable. Full MHEG support is no longer required in the latest spec, so it's not going to improve going forward.

• I believe that streaming is a lot cheaper than using traditional broadcasting methods on DTT, though viewers seems to like it less and there are some STB's that can't show various streams.

Streaming is "cheaper" at its most basic, but the standard implementation doesn't scale. The more users the more the costs increase if you are going to keep the service quality up. If all the main channels streamed you could implement a multicast solution and that would help, but I don't think MHEG-IC does this, though I do think multicast is part of the new standard that is part of the new internet broadcasting standard.

• Paramount Network UK is taking 5Spike's EPG place on multiple platforms, including Freeview, as 5Spike closes.

The video on the tweets shows content of the type that is currently on 5Spike, so I would interpret that as a merger of the channels.

Looks like a cost cutting measure as there is no indication that anything is happening to the 5Spike space i.e. for a new channel.

There isn't a Spike brand in US anymore, it closed over a year ago and was replaced by a completely different type of channel as I recall.

• I wonder what is to become of Paramounts old capacity on channel 54?

I'm not sure if ViacomCBS have any plans for it; I doubt it as they would probably have announced this at the same time. Could they use this as a red button barker channel for Pluto??

If not, i'm sure that the channels looking for a permanent home on the temporary muxes would be interested, but could they afford the capacity?

AFAIK, the capacity used by the former nationwide Sony channels has been leased (or there might be one left), which will probably push the cost of capacity up.

• They can't use the channel number without carrying a least 2 hours a day of "broadcast" tv, that wouldn't be allowed under Digital UK's LCN policy.

They could relocate one of the channels from the temporary multiplexes or, who knows? Paramount +1 maybe. I'm more interested in what they will do with the capacity on other platforms.

(Perhaps a good time for someone on another forum to suggest the capacity will be reused by MTV Classic on VM.)

• They'll either give the space up on Freeview to save money or move a +1 from the temp mux onto it like JJ20X said. The cost couldn't be any different than the going rate given to other channels recently. And there's still space from E4+1 vacating, the TBN slot once it stops dual transmitting, and the potential partial slot if Sewing Quarter goes out of business.

3 and bit slots free will keep the market prices lower.

And as for Pluto. They could probably just put a Press Red link to the app on existing C5 channels if it gets added to Freeview Play, along with a prompt for My5. You wouldn't use a channel for it like the red button info slates on Virgin Media for the likes of Youtube and Netflix.

4Music has, or used to, have a launcher on Freeview for their various Box music channels which would allow internet connected Freeview devices to access the channels via streaming.

• Just noticed that RXTVLog is reporting that some of the other C5 channels are due to renumber on Freeview at the same time as Paramount Network UK moves into 5Spike's 31 position.

According to them:
    5SELECT moves from 55 to 54.
    5STAR+1 moves fron 56 to 55.
    5USA+1 moves from 57 to 56.

• Just checked. It's DTPS, so broadcast. Interesting!

Who on earth are All Perspectives Limited though? the licensee.

• Just checked. It's DTPS, so broadcast. Interesting!

Who on earth are All Perspectives Limited though? the licensee.

Does DTPS refer to Freeview only? I've never heard of All Perspectives either!

• Does DTPS refer to Freeview only? I've never heard of All Perspectives either!

There are different sections for licenses on the OFCOM website, the Freeview stuff is separate. If you can find that listed elsewhere, or not, that will answer it.

• Does DTPS refer to Freeview only? I've never heard of All Perspectives either!

DTPS is Digital TV Programme Service so covers the broadcast tv services. DTAS is Digital TV Additional Service, so basically anything else on DTT. Streamed services are just data as far as DTT is concerned, the actual programmes being carried over the internet, so they are all DTAS licences, for the data element only.

Cable and satellite services need a separate licence.

• DTPS is Digital TV Programme Service so covers the broadcast tv services. DTAS is Digital TV Additional Service, so basically anything else on DTT. Streamed services are just data as far as DTT is concerned, the actual programmes being carried over the internet, so they are all DTAS licences, for the data element only.

Cable and satellite services need a separate licence.

Ahhh right, I though they'd all been simplified and amalgamated into one, could ge wrong though.