Changes to Freeview transmission discussion (with a techie edge)

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Does DTPS refer to Freeview only? I've never heard of All Perspectives either!

DTPS is Digital TV Programme Service so covers the broadcast tv services. DTAS is Digital TV Additional Service, so basically anything else on DTT. Streamed services are just data as far as DTT is concerned, the actual programmes being carried over the internet, so they are all DTAS licences, for the data element only.

Cable and satellite services need a separate licence.

• DTPS is Digital TV Programme Service so covers the broadcast tv services. DTAS is Digital TV Additional Service, so basically anything else on DTT. Streamed services are just data as far as DTT is concerned, the actual programmes being carried over the internet, so they are all DTAS licences, for the data element only.

Cable and satellite services need a separate licence.

Ahhh right, I though they'd all been simplified and amalgamated into one, could ge wrong though.

• Companies House info states it has two directors, seemingly with British / American dual nationality. One based in the UK, the other based in the US. Also the address used is that of a multinational firm of lawyers. So...

• RXTVlog is reporting on Twitter that Smithsonian Channel is

a) moving to 57 on Freeview

b) moving to a more widely available slot

c) it's happening on 7th January

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They don't say which of the 3 slots available as of 7th it will be occupying, though it will probably be 5Spike's. (E4+1 and TBN's old slots are the other two.)

• Futher RXTVlog and Freeview Status articles on changes

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/01/smit...-boost-in.html

https://www.freeview.co.uk/7-jan-202...anges-freeview

Interesting additional mentions.

-CBS Justice +1 is arriving on Ch 69 , no word on how wide coverage is.

-Jewellery Maker is getting wider coverage, no word on which slot it is using, but probably Sewing Quarter's slot as they were owned by same company until recently and SQ is moving to JM's Temp Multiplex position on COM7.

-TJC is apparently going HD-only, so Ch49 number is freeing up

If TJC is coming off 49 and going HD-only on Freeview, that means another permanent slot has been freed up, this time on ARQA.

• I'm pleased that one of the better quality channels has found a permanent home.

I've just been reading that the required two year notice was given to the channels on coms 7 & 8 in 2018. So, sometime this year, the licences will be replaced by licences with a single month notice and various conditions about what could trigger that termination notice.

Oddly, Freeview now has a detailed reception checker that says 'Final 2025' that's still listing Coms 7 & 8 as still there. Maybe this is an error??

• As long as they don't cause interference to mobile services around the centre gap and if Arqiva still wants them to continue, they could be extended until the centre gap is actually needed for mobile data. So the actual termination date is uncertain.

• Update on TJC.

RXTVlog updated their article. Apparently Freeview wrongly reported TJC SD on 49 was closing at the same time the similar PBS America mistake happened.

I was about to tell RXTVlog the TJC on-screen message suggested it was moving rather than closing on Ch49 when I noticed they had changed that bit of the article.

So, the question now is, which multiplex is it moving to? The available spaces with the same coverage are all on the multiplex it is already on.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!