Top police officer 'suggests tougher sentences for problem teenage criminals'

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.

The worst teenage criminals should face tougher prison sentences to deter other youngsters from turning to crime in the first place, Britain's top police officer has suggested.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick told prison reform campaigners to consider "harsher and more effective" jail terms for teenage thugs when other approaches do not work, the Daily Mail reported.

The head of the UK's largest police force warned that trying to avoid sending young people to prison had left "an increasing number" of teenagers "simply not fearful of how the state will respond to their actions".

In a speech to the Howard League for Penal Reform she is reported to have said: "They don't see imprisonment as particularly likely or a serious threat and it does not in any sense deter them from criminal activity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new…entences-problem-teenage/

Tougher sentences for repeat criminals? Good heavens what will they think of next? We'll have to be careful. The last thing we want is these young people thinking that they don't have the human right to shoplift, vandalise,burgle other people's homes, assault their neighburs and deal in drugs with impunity. They won't understand.

After all, we've spent years teaching them they will only get a slap on the wrist for committing numerous offences. :rolleyes:

• Ms Dick might be putting all the blame on the judges and I agree with her in part, that they are far too liberal, but she needs to spend time sorting her own house out first.

The reason many criminals, including the young yobs, don't get punished is because the police cannot be bothered to catch them even when they know who has committed a crime. As one policemen said to me once standing in my own home, "you know what, crime does pay." Says it all.

Forget repeat offences for a minute, if you commit a crime like burglary, (which in my area now has been downgraded, you will not get a police response to it, so it would never get to the courts in the first place...) that criminal should be sentenced to prison for a few years for that first offence.

Do it a second time, and the sentence shoots up to ten or more years and do it a third time (yes, this is the three strikes and you're out system) and you go to prison and never come out again. Of course, that would be against their human rights, stuff the rights of those getting their lives ruined by the scum.

Say something insulting on Twitter or on a forum, and you get a van load of police knocking your front door in at 5am.

Something is wrong somewhere and despite what Ms Dick says, the blame does not lie entirely with the judiciary.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Regrettably it is never likely to happen anyway. The PC Brigade are already lining up to call her suggestion 'racist.'

Apparently if black youths are committing crimes and killing other black youths it's racist to lock them up for longer because they are black.

Met Police Commissioner accused of calling for 'more black boys to be locked up' to combat knife crime epidemic

Ms Dick had been invited as a guest speaker by the Howard League for Penal Reform, which campaigns for fewer people to be jailed and highlights poor conditions and failures within the criminal justice system.

Frances Crook, the charity’s chief executive, said the Commissioner had “used the opportunity to call for more young children, in effect more black boys, to be sent to prison and for longer”.

"Ms Dick said young black men and boys were statistically more likely to be the victims and perpetrators of knife crime, making up 21 of 24 teenagers murdered so far this year."

http://www.independent.co.uk/n…ial-profile-a8048546.html

• I have not read of which type of crime is being committed - possession of a knife - Attempted murder - Murder - threats with a deadly weapon?? For a start - Murder carry's with it a mandatory life sentence. Attempted murder also repeat offences with a knife carry discretionary life sentence.

When you have morons such as David Lammy - Labour MP and Abbott and others screaming racism because focus and action was rightly placed upon areas of predominantly black youths you can see why the crime rate is not reduced.

Its time to stop with the excuses.

• I have not read of which type of crime is being committed - possession of a knife - Attempted murder - Murder - threats with a deadly weapon?? For a start - Murder carry's with it a mandatory life sentence. Attempted murder also repeat offences with a knife carry discretionary life sentence.

When you have morons such as David Lammy - Labour MP and Abbott and others screaming racism because focus and action was rightly placed upon areas of predominantly black youths you can see why the crime rate is not reduced.

Its time to stop with the excuses.

"life sentence" don't make me laught

If They Can Do It So Can I

• "life sentence" don't make me laught

What is it you are trying to say? Are you saying my comment is incorrect or are you saying, ironically, life sentences are not happening?

PS: I ask politely, out of interest I am NOT having a go??!! (just getting that on record)

• What is it you are trying to say? Are you saying my comment is incorrect or are you saying, ironically, life sentences are not happening?

PS: I ask politely, out of interest I am NOT having a go??!! (just getting that on record)

They are not happening, released after a few years

You would get a longer sentence for rape

• They are not happening, released after a few years

You would get a longer sentence for rape

Thats what I say. I am saying that the use of a life sentence is there but not used. The basis of its use is to do with level of risk of offending and a threat to the public. Rape was not considered worthy of long sentences a few decades ago. Public intolerance forced MPs to change the law. Rape carries with it a life sentence. We had the "2 strikes and out short tariff life sentence" for violent offences. People were sent to prison, for a second violent offence for life, on short tariffs. This was to cut down on the very violent thugs who enjoyed exerting their violence outside nightclubs and in society in general. I cant remember if this is finished as a law but it is not long ago we used this type of sentencing.

• I don't think that rapists are likely to get such an early parole as murderers because of vociferous campaigns by their victims and feminists

A recent case of parole was given to a murderer who refused and still refuses to reveal where he hid the woman's body despite a campaign by the victim's mother who is still unable to lay her body to rest

• I understood that 'life' sentences were banned because of the 'human rights' brigade, who claim that all offenders must be given hope of release.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I understood that 'life' sentences were banned because of the 'human rights' brigade, who claim that all offenders must be given hope of release.

Of course "hope of release" is immaterial for the victim or relatives from the human rights lobby

I am sick and tired of "rights" being championed and responsibilities being ignored

• Need a more radical solution:

:D

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

Yes. That rings a bell. But life sentence per se is not banned. A judge has no choice on a murder conviction. But has discretion for some other offences, such as : rape- manslaughter - attempted murder - heinous violence - repeat violence - kidnapping - arson - robbery. It is literally called a "Discretionary Life Sentence". Custody for life and Her Majesties Pleasure for young people..

• Another example of Lawless London

"Revealed: Sickening moment three teenage thugs attacked doctor, 28, and her girlfriend, 27, in horrific homophobic attack on London night bus after they refused to kiss"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne…omophobic-bus-attack.html

They were actually physically attacked, and yet the charge was only harassment. I guess you have to be stabbed multiple times now, for it deemed to be a physical assault.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• They were actually physically attacked, and yet the charge was only harassment. I guess you have to be stabbed multiple times now, for it deemed to be a physical assault.

This is a disgrace. These people were physically harmed. Apart from that the thugs should be made an example of. I would have battered them to a pulp.

• I believe in the Biblical "An eye for an eye"

I believe in self defence but in UK you are not legally permitted to have Mace (pepper spray) in your possession. It is an offence. My daughters were all shown to carry a small hairspray or underarm deodorant spray.. and how to use it. This would pass in any trial.

If you fear for your life you are entitled to kill the attacker by any means as long as the threat to life exists. But I do not believe in an eye for an eye. I know you are not saying this but I dont think a rapist should be raped. I knew a rapist who had a sex change - Gender Dysphoria - in order to show as a woman he can no longer be a risk. He killed one woman and raped two women. This was all done in custody. This easy peasy psycho shite has to stop, prison should be harsher

• My daughters were taught to kick any man who tried to attack them, where it hurt

Came in very useful when they were out for a bike ride and a guy on a motorbike kept slowly passing them, stopping till they passed and passing them slowly, again and again. Nobody around and they were getting worried so when he came on a slow pass he tried to grab by eldest but she let him have it - a kick where it hurt. The girls were 13 and 14 at the time

Rushing home and telling us what had happened we phoned the police who did not turn up until 10pm when they were in bed. Very non committal. "It was just one of those things when thankfully nobody got hurt" they said

A few weeks later the evening paper dropped through the door and there on the front was a photofit of a motorcyclist wanted in connection with the murder of a young girl. My daughters screamed and said this was the man who was after them

My wife was so incensed she made a formal complaint arguing that if our daughters complaint had been taken more seriously this other girl would still be alive. This resulted in a visit from one of the Chief Constables assistant with the usual "Lessons have been learned etc"

• My daughters were taught to kick any man who tried to attack them, where it hurt

Came in very useful when they were out for a bike ride and a guy on a motorbike kept slowly passing them, stopping till they passed and passing them slowly, again and again. Nobody around and they were getting worried so when he came on a slow pass he tried to grab by eldest but she let him have it - a kick where it hurt. The girls were 13 and 14 at the time

Rushing home and telling us what had happened we phoned the police who did not turn up until 10pm when they were in bed. Very non committal. "It was just one of those things when thankfully nobody got hurt" they said

A few weeks later the evening paper dropped through the door and there on the front was a photofit of a motorcyclist wanted in connection with the murder of a young girl. My daughters screamed and said this was the man who was after them

My wife was so incensed she made a formal complaint arguing that if our daughters complaint had been taken more seriously this other girl would still be alive. This resulted in a visit from one of the Chief Constables assistant with the usual "Lessons have been learned etc"

Gosh. That was a bloody close shave. Its good they were not harmed - obviously. The thing is people get conned and we all have an element of trust towards others.

• HORIZON said .. that criminal should be sentenced to prison for a few years for that first offence.

Do it a second time, and the sentence shoots up to ten or more years and do it a third time (yes, this is the three strikes and you're out system) and you go to prison and never come out again. Of course, that would be against their human rights, stuff the rights of those getting their lives ruined by the scum.

I have been arguing this exact point for 25 years. I strongly believe burglary is a very serious offence and a first offender should do 5 years in prison rising to 10 for the 2nd burglary and 20 years for a third. Burglary is NOT a minor matter. You nip into a stately home and nick an oil painting and see what happens to you.

I was burgled 3 times in 18 months. The police did not give a damn. I dont feel good saying that but its the truth. I found out who did it and confronted them face to face. They had no bottle as I knew.