Have the PC box tickers ruined all the Christmas ads?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Just watched the John Lewis ad for this year, along with the Paddington bear ad we have the typical UK family now it seems, white woman with black husband , we have Muslims celebrating Christmas on the TESCO ad , others have families resembling the united nations , does anyone honestly relate to any of this ?

• For me the best Christmas TV adverts are Aldi and "Kevin the carrot" they seem to avoid being overly PC, unless you consider carrots an ethnic minority or whatever.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Just watched the John Lewis ad for this year, along with the Paddington bear ad we have the typical UK family now it seems, white woman with black husband , we have Muslims celebrating Christmas on the TESCO ad , others have families resembling the united nations , does anyone honestly relate to any of this ?

The companies would argue they are being representative of modern Britain, but it does feel forced, doesn't it?

For me the best Christmas TV adverts are Aldi and "Kevin the carrot" they seem to avoid being overly PC, unless you consider carrots an ethnic minority or whatever.

Aldi is becoming an every growing power in the country, so I'm not surprised they're coming up with decent ads.

Nice vid!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Are the other ads really that overly PC or have people become overly anti-PC and reading too much into what are just traditional Christmas cheesy sentimental adverts which are rolled out at this time of year the annual retailer Christmas advert pissing contest to see who can be the most sentimental and cheesy.

And to be honest none of them actually make me want to spend more money at any of the retailers, but then the same can be said of any advertising its all wasted on me.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Are the other ads really that overly PC or have people become overly anti-PC and reading too much into what are just traditional Christmas cheesy sentimental adverts which are rolled out at this time of year the annual retailer Christmas advert pissing contest to see who can be the most sentimental and cheesy.

And to be honest none of them actually make me want to spend more money at any of the retailers, but then the same can be said of any advertising its all wasted on me.

It's the managed agenda behind it that angers me, customers in TESCO where my wife works are coming in and complaining about Muslims being in the advert this year , it seems that more than three white faces is no longer permitted before a token black or Asian face appears . John Lewis has now had two years of non white families starring in its adverts .

Don't worry. By next year we are going to have adverts full of happy white British families all settling down to a Merry Ramadan and a trip to Mecca for their holidays afterwards. Obviously there won't be any alcohol and it won't be eggs and bacon for breakfast as they tuck into their halal snacks. We are all multicultural now you know. ;)

• Al of this reminds me of the essential truth in Woody Allen's monologue about being hired by a company, for politically correct reasons, as a token Jew. But Woody Allen then goes on to say "I got fired for taking off too many Jewish holidays".

Every black guy with dreadlocks, or a Prince Philip yellow slit-eye, or beard & skullcap, or beard & towelhead, knows precisely why they get featured in advertising and brochures. This is the problem with Lord Scarman of Yesteryear's solution , which was "Positive Discrimination". Its token-ness is cringemakingly embarrassing and contrived. It is so obviously Politically Correct as to reek insincerity. As a result, the token PC inclusion becomes counter-productive, creating resentment by the majority for having been forced to demonstrate the existence and rights for inclusion of these minorities. As for the minorities themselves, they must know their inclusion is not random chance and are therefore reminded that they are receiving Politically Correct recognition, which only serves to confirm or reinforce their position in society as a special case minority.

In short, positive discrimination is just heightened discrimination.

• Don't worry. By next year we are going to have adverts full of happy white British families all settling down to a Merry Ramadan and a trip to Mecca for their holidays afterwards. Obviously there won't be any alcohol and it won't be eggs and bacon for breakfast as they tuck into their halal snacks. We are all multicultural now you know. ;)

Fiend of wife lives in Saudi, non believers are not allowed within a enforced exclusion zone around Mecca.

• I'm sure there is a certain amount of irony here somewhere. :D