Star Wars: A galaxy far, far away or too many?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.

• Walt Disney has announced a deal to make three new Star Wars movies.

Disney has closed a deal with director Rian Johnson to develop a new “Star Wars” trilogy, and it is planning a live-action “Star Wars” TV series to air on its entertainment streaming service that is expected to launch by the end of 2019.

Disney could never be accused of not "sweating" the assets they have....:rolleyes:

Since the purchase of Lucasfilm (the makers of Star Wars) in 2012, Disney announced a trilogy of new Star Wars films as well as three stand-alone films. Now, we have a new trilogy of films, making twelve Star Wars films in total and a new live action series too.

It's Star Wars everywhere!

I loved Star Wars as a kid and one of my best presents ever was a light sabre which I used as a torch to read books under my bed sheets thinking about galaxies and other far off places, and yes I got all the other stuff too. Who didn't have a Millennium Falcon?

I think my love affair with Star Wars started to falter when George Lucas announced the "special edition" versions of the original trilogy on VHS tape. Then we had the normal DVDs, special edition DVDs and Blu Rays in more recent years. Then we had the prequel trilogy Eps 1-3....X/:/

As a kid, I didn't feel Star Wars was all just one big money machine and I still think that the first Star Wars film is one of the best films ever made. A simple fable about a farm boy rescuing the beautiful princess from the evil Lord, but set in space. Brilliant. Truly brilliant. The special effects and the incredible score from John Williams made the whole thing a magical experience, which is what the cinemas should be about, shouldn't they?

Even before the the Disney takeover, the prequel trilogy was piss poor in my opinion. Ok, the last one of the trilogy was pretty good, but crap actors, poor direction, over reliance on special effects, summed up the problem with Star Wars for me. It was no longer about the story (if it ever was) and was just about making as much money as possible. And if anyone mentions Jar Jar Binks here, they will get shot! (oops, I just did!:whistling:)

I saw Episode 7, (was it 7, lose track now??) at the cinema two years ago and overall I was very disappointed with it. Blurry IMAX screens and fast moving action doesn't work well together, but it just seemed a copy of A New Hope to me, minus the heart and a decent story. That said, most of the other people in the cinema seemed to enjoy it. But I think the bit that everyone was annoyed about was this:

Display Spoiler

Luke Skywalker didn't appear in the film until the very end of it. What a bloody con!

A year later the first of the stand alone films came along, Rogue One, and although it was a Star Wars film, it didn't quite feel like Star Wars and I suspect that was the idea of the producers to have something feeling a little different. I enjoyed it more than The Force Awakens. Did you?

With the next in the current trilogy of films due in Christmas, The Last Jedi. and the next standalone film about Hans Solo next year, we already have plenty of new Star Wars stuff to look "forward" too even before this announcement. Will you see the next film at Christmas?

Original trilogy, prequel trilogy, then Disney trilogy and standalone films and now another trilogy of films and a tv series to boot. It's a lot of Star Wars.

Are you looking forward to this brand new trilogy of films and new series, or do you think that Star Wars has gone too, far, far away in a galaxy for your liking?

I was trying to think of a quality way to end this thread (good for search engine rankings, you know!;)) so came up with this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I thought that was nice, but if you're old enough you may remember this:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Perfect, but for the young 'urns, that's too old hat, so here's one for them:

There we go. Nice tunes to end the thread and good quality, but as I was doing my washing earlier, I thought sod it, I would go for this instead. Take a close look at the right hand side of my radiator:

Quality matters, so does having clean socks!

8)^^:P

• I have never been a Star wars fan but my brother is. I preferred Star Trek, but only the early ones with William Shatner.

With regard to your comments about the latest stuff being too reliant on special effects, I agree totally. I find all this stick, stab and explosions, endless fights where people do things that are frankly unrealistic and boring and the almost complete absence of a script with a story, or one that gets itself mangled by the special effects and action, to be what is ruining much of what is produced today, not just Star Wars. It's a cinematic disease and I find that it's basic utility is not as entertainment but as a sleeping pill. If you suffer from insomnia watch an action movie.

(Oh, my, you have Star Wars socks! :thumbup: )

• I've been reading articles about how to rise in Google rankings, that say you need quality articles. So, I was raking my brains last night about what "quality" articles I could do for this site and while finishing off my laundry, the answer "showed itself" a bit like The Force.:D There is another pair of Star Wars socks not shown in that picture. More dosh to the corporate machine that is Disney!

I like Star Trek too, as you know, but I do think even quite ardent fans such as myself, will get a little sick of all these films. Curious about how the series turns out, though.

• I watched the last one, but can't remember what it was called. Had a cute little R2D2 replacement that looked like a gyroscope. Too adorable. I found the action a bit tedious.

• Star Wars comes across a bit preachy to me with all the talk of the force and dark side it seems to be the fight of good against evil and good side must always prevail, and I agree the films have an element of style over substance about them.

• I agree Ron, but the target audience was meant to be for children trying to teach them right from wrong.

I watched the last one, but can't remember what it was called. Had a cute little R2D2 replacement that looked like a gyroscope. Too adorable. I found the action a bit tedious.

Even that new driod was just a copy of the original. The action scenes were great, but where was the story?

• The action scenes were great, but where was the story?

Wasn't the last film just a bit of a reunion of the cast from the original three films, I doubt they had actually thought beyond getting Harrison ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill back on screen together.

• I re-watched ep7 last night in preparation for seeing the new film at the cinema in the next few weeks and although my original comments stand, I still think its a copy of the original film, but I did enjoy the film more this time.

I think my massive disappointment and anger with my original viewing at the cinema was:

Display Spoiler

I was looking forward to seeing Luke Skywalker again and he bloody well only showed up in the last few seconds of the film.

At least, this time I knew what to expect and thus enjoyed it more.

• I found the continuous fast action incredibly boring on the last one, so here's hoping they have made a film and not a jumble of rapid eye movement flashes and explosions this time.

• And in his case, the force is strong with the wife and editors.

He surrounded himself with good people and when he was told his film was bad, he took the advice of his wife and got some great editors in who worked magic for him.

And a million films and special editions later, he's laughing all the way to the bank, especially after selling out to the House of Mouse for billions.

• So many famous writers, actors, artists, musicians, singers, etc have been told they are no good and gone on to make these critics eat crow. It's hard to make it without big contacts, but often the people take to something and that cancels out the dreary barstewards who wouldn't give them a break. :)

• My brother has been trying to get tickets for the film, but its all fully booked up in my area. He did try to pre-book tickets at the huge IMAX in Waterloo (Central London) but that's fully booked up too. That wasn't the case last year, so Disney have clearly hooked in a new generation of film goers with their latest films.

• Reshoots, acting coaches, and a missing trailer: is the Han Solo movie in trouble?

(article requires subscription to view)

Looks like the new Han Solo film is in trouble.

Disney are so worried that the film is so bad, it could harm their reputation. Perhaps a Disney exec should've read the script before spending hundreds of millions on this film.:rolleyes:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!