Refunds from 2019 for bad Telephone and Broadband Service

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Householders who receive poor service from their telecoms provider are to get automatic compensation, the regulator Ofcom has announced.

From 2019 they will get £8 a day if a fault is not fixed, paid as a refund through their bill.

Providers will also have to pay £5 a day if their broadband or landline is not working on the day it was promised. If an engineer misses an appointment, they will have to give £25 in compensation.

This is very welcome news.

For too long the telcos have got away with bad service and having to fork out fines if they do not install a service on the day they agree to, or when a fault is not fixed, is most welcome.

Many people have to take a day off work to get a telephone line installed, or switch ISP and frequently the appointments are missed by the telcos and the customer then has to book another day's holiday for a reappointment. Really, £25 refund for a missed appointment is nowhere near enough.

Have you ever had a missed appointment, or not had a fault fixed in a timely manner?

Did you ask for a refund and more to the point, did you actually get it?

• Paying compensation? The b------s ought to pay the medical fees for stress counselling too.

I've had my Sky Broadband up and running for few weeks and it seems fine.(Touch wood.) BT have taken the last month's bill out of my account and send me e mails about my having to pay the £288 which includes £60 for the router I sent back. ( Another final chapter. When I got my Amazon Echo I discovered belatedly it was impossible to set up with my the BT router I had then, a Hub 4. So they sent me a Hub 6. During the last fiasco, a female asked me ......

'What Hub have you got" -

"A Hub 6" -

'That's no good on your line. I'll send you a Hub 4."

- "We don't want it. We had one. The Amazon Echo won't work with it." -

" Oh well. I've ordered it now. You'll just have to make do."

That's the one we sent straight back. I'm waiting to see if they take any out of my account at the end of this month.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!