Gerry Adams to resign. A new future for Ireland??

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams has revealed he plans to stand down as leader of the party next year.

Mr Adams also said he will not stand for election to the Irish parliament (Dail) at the next election.

Northern Ireland (NI) is in stalemate as the NI parties are at loggerheads with each other and the NI budget had to be decided in London last week. As for Southern Ireland, they're anxious about the impact of Brexit upon them and the possibility of a hard border on the island of Ireland.

Adams never achieved either of his goals of a united Ireland or becoming Irish president and at 69 he clearly feels enough is enough, but who will succeed him? The senior leadership of Sinn Féin (SF) is still made up of IRA terrorists and both main political parties in the Republic of Ireland have refused to share power with SF.

I don't think anyone will be sorry to see the back of this man, but what happens next?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Gerry Adams SAS informer according to released Irish Government files

Gerry Adams was rumoured to have set up an IRA gang to be ambushed by the SAS, leading to eight Provisionals being shot dead, secret files claim.

If there is even a ounce of truth in this story, this could be very significant.

There is no doubt that Adams was a member of the IRA who came from a militant family, but via Sinn Fein, he did steer the IRA to the peace process and away from violence. Was he working for the British in the end against the terrorists?

• The timing of this does make you wonder, what with Brexit and the question over the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic, could be seen as trying to stir up ill feeling by some.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• For someone with no interest in politics Ron, that's a very interesting and acute comment. You could be right. But what would the Irish government gain from stirring things and whom exactly would they be stirring?

• There is always something to be gained from stirring the shit in politics by someone or other even if it's just to derail/delay something happening.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.