German coalition talks collapse

• Exploratory talks to form Germany’s next coalition government collapsed shortly before midnight on Sunday when the pro-business Free Democratic Party (FDP) walked out of marathon negotiations.

“The four discussion partners have no common vision for modernisation of the country or common basis of trust,” the FDP leader, Christian Lindner, announced after the four parties involved missed several self-prescribed deadlines to resolve differences on migration and energy policy. “It is better not to govern than to govern badly.”

The euro slid in Asian trade overnight thanks to the uncertainty in Europe’s powerhouse nation. Against the yen, the euro was down 0.6% on the day to a two-month low and slipped 0.5% against the US dollar. It was down 0.43% against the pound at €1.125.

This may have ramifications for the EU negotiations if Merkel cannot form a government. Although we are technically negotiating with the EU we all know that Germany has the largest say and what Merkel wants Merkel gets. But if another election is called and Merkel isn't there who knows what the demands will be.

• If the Germans aren't giving the orders, then the French will happily take their place and we know what Macron has said about Brexit and the current Brexit negotiations.

This could turn nasty for us very quickly. At least we could deal with Merkel.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• German Chancellor Angela Merkel and her ex-coalition partners Social Democrats are to hold discussions in efforts to end a political impasse.

The centre-left SPD has softened its stance, saying it is open for talks.

Those who thought that the reign of Merkel was over, think again. She ain't out of the game just yet.

• Here's hoping she is replaced.

In the Jusos, the subparty of the SPD for the youngest members(max. 36 years old), is strictly against a Great Coalition, so do I.

To be honest, I don't know another chancellor despite Angela Merkel as I can think of. That's sad.

Personally, I think we should form an minority government with the SPD, the Linke(the "Lefts") and the Grüne(the "Greens").

German, with different opinions.

Please correct my spelling and grammar mistakes ;)

• Merkel doesn't have a choice though, does she? She didn't get the numbers and she has got to form a grand coalition or go for another election.

We talk about Theresa May being weakened in Britain as she didn't win a majority in parliament, but she actually increased the overall vote for the Conservatives, more than any leader before her (as did Corbyn too) and did far, far better than Merkel.

Do you reckon Merkel will survive, or will Germany end up with a new leader soon?

• Do you reckon Merkel will survive, or will Germany end up with a new leader soon?

Personally, I hope that Martin Schulz takes over the control, I like him, and he already did a great job in the European Parliament.
    The SPD almost died under the control of CDU and CSU(their one fraction in the Bundestag), we should not decrease our acceptance even more.

P.S.: Do you really say leader? That sounds somewhat strange.

• I think you may find that Mr Schulz is not too popular here.;)

Leader. Bosswoman, Empress of the EU. All acceptable here!

Leader has different meanings in English. The main one being "someone who is in charge, who is leading others" but it can mean other things too like the salesmen has "got a new leader" which means that the salesmen has got a opportunity to earn more money if he gets the new leader, a new job.

Is Jens right though, folks. Is it my bad English?

I'm also corrected on my English when I go onto a Irish forum, and they speak (sometimes) a totally different language too!

• Is Jens right though, folks. Is it my bad English?

I'm also corrected on my English when I go onto a Irish forum, and they speak (sometimes) a totally different language too!

I have been known to speak fluent gibberish especially if I have had a few sherbets.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Most of my scum (spit) neighbours can barely string a sentence together, so I'm not in an exactly good environment to improve my language skills. They all say In-gur-lisch. Hate it when England is playing footie, as the rabble go round saying In-gur-lund, In-gur-lund, In-gur-lund....Neanderthals.:(

Now, back to German politics.;)

• The Chancellor is fighting to save her political career having failed to form a coalition after the inconclusive result of September's election.

And Germany's centre-left Social Democrats (SPD) will today decide whether or not to approve coalition talks with Angela Merkel.

Months after the German election, Merkel has failed to form a coalition government as her share of the vote was the lowest of all time.

Today could be the last say we see Merkel as chancellor of Germany.

If she goes, is this good for the UK, or is a case of better the devil you know?

• Merkel has a lot of influence in the EU, and will maybe be the next failed politician to become President of the EU. The Germans may not be so keen on Merkel, but the EU elite hang onto her every word.

For this reason, I think it will make little, if any, difference to the UK.

• I think you're right about Merkel's future job prospects in the EU, if she were interested, but would she be? She's interested in real power, not pretend power.

• Just coming on the newswires now, but Merkel's coalition partner Martin Schulz has quit his party after his own people's dislike of him being Merkel's foreign minister. Schulz's own party may poll their members about whether they should even be in a coalition with Merkel's party to begin with.

So just as we thought this was all "sorted" perhaps not!

• Schulz's own party may poll their members about whether they should even be in a coalition with Merkel's party to begin with.

Replace may to need to. It's written down, otherwise, the SPD must not agree the contract.

Mr. Schulz didn't quit, but he only steps down.

after his own people's dislike of him being Merkel's foreign minister

because he previously stated that he won't be part of the government when Merkel leads it.

(I'm a member of the SPD, so my position won't be neutral.)

• Jens, thanks for clarification.

Do you want your party to stay in coalition with Merkel's or do you want out of it?

• The head of Germany's Social Democrats (SPD), Martin Schulz, has resigned to ease preparations for a coalition government with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives.

Mr Schulz said he was handing over to a left-winger, Andrea Nahles, with immediate effect. However, SPD members have to vote on the change on 22 April.

Here's the official story on Schulz.

If Merkel's government collapses, this could impact us, especially Brexit.

• Do you want your party to stay in coalition with Merkel's or do you want out of it?

No, I urge them not be go there again. Otherwise, we will loose all of our reputation and honor, because Merkel will claim everything for her(and she broke the last contracts multiple times) and we need to accept every single thing. We weren't powerful enough to get enough things into the contract.

• Jens, am I right in thinking that if the SPD pull out of the coalition government, Merkel's government fails? Would there be a new German election at that point?

• Jens, am I right in thinking that if the SPD pull out of the coalition government, Merkel's government fails? Would there be a new German election at that point?

Well, yes. Although there is the possibility of having a minority government by the Union(CDU/CSU) with Merkel, but Merkel isn't used to fight for her interests, but she only wants to have them. With a coalition, she can do whatever she wants and does not need to argue for getting an majority.

• Thanks Jens. But because she got a much smaller share of the German vote, how realistic is it that she could still have a minority government without the SPD? Can she get whatever laws she wants passed without the SPD?

• how realistic is it that she could still have a minority government without the SPD? Can she get whatever laws she wants passed without the SPD?

Well, yes. She would need to convince the SPD, the Greens, the Linke(the Lefts), the FDP and/or the AfD. Then she is forced to convince other parties.

• Today, in around one hour, the SPD will announce the results of the member decision. When the coalition contract has been accepted, Germany is going to have a new government, when the members decided that it is rather bad, an minority government, or a new try with the CDU/CSU and the FDP and the Greens will perhaps take place. The last possibility is a new election.

• A government gets formed :)

Merkel will get re-elected on 14 March and then we're back in business again.

• Fast forward three months:

A major rift has opened up between German Chancellor Angela Merkel and her interior minister over migrant policy, threatening her coalition government.

The minister, Horst Seehofer of the Christian Social Union (CSU), wants police to have the power to turn away undocumented migrants at the border.

Mrs Merkel has held emergency talks with her Christian Democrat (CDU) MPs.

She wants a new deal at EU level over migrants. She was widely criticised for letting in about one million in 2015.

An additional background article from the BBC here.

What I don't understand is, what has changed in the three months since the coalition government was formed?

Seehofer, the former head of Bavaria, already knew Merkel's policy on immigrants before agreeing to a coalition with her, seeing as she let a million in causing chaos and arguments throughout EU. (Isn't she meant to be the EU's kingmaker...?:whistling:) So why did he get into government with her and what has changed now?

Merkel may want a new deal at EU level on migrants, but as the 2015 migrant chaos illustrated, every EU country acted in their own interests. I doubt there is little appetite from places such as Hungary being lectured by Merkel or Brussels on their border and migrant policies.

Will Merkel's coalition last?

• Note the specific wording .... 'undocumented migrants'. I am only guessing, but maybe they made an agreement on refugees, but someone has now tried to include undocumented 'refugees' in the criteria? They could be from anywhere.

There is a world of difference between genuine refugees, and those economic migrants hoping to jump on the bandwagon. I dread to think how much each refugee costs in housing, provision of all furniture, clothing, and other 'necessities and essentials' that many UK residents do not have, plus feeding, welfare, and education where required. It shouldn't be given to anyone but genuine refugees.

We are overcrowded enough in the UK already, with a massive shortage of housing and too few roads for the number of people already here.

• Both the parties in German Chancellor Angela Merkel's governing coalition have suffered heavy losses in a regional election, early results show.

Her centre-right CDU party and the centre-left SPD were each 10% down on the previous election in Hesse state.

SPD leader Andrea Nahles said the federal government's poor performance had "significantly" contributed to the disappointing result.

Two weeks after Merkel suffered losses in one regional election, the same thing has happened again. Clearly, Germans are starting to tire of Mrs Merkel's policies, but as yet, this weariness has not translated into a change of vote at national level. Yet. Merkel had better watch out.