German coalition talks collapse

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• I'm sure Merkel won't suffer, at least not financially. The EU will make sure she stays in power, if not within her own country, then surely within the EU.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• What a horrible thought, but I think that's possible Fidget. The only thing is the EU bureaucrats wouldn't like someone as powerful as her within their midst, but they might not get a choice in the matter.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• German Chancellor Angela Merkel has told her CDU party that she will not run for re-election as its chairwoman in December, sources say.

Her decision comes after her party suffered heavy losses in regional elections that threatened the stability of the governing coalition.

Mrs Merkel has been chair of the CDU since 2000, becoming one of its longest-serving chairpersons.

She has led Germany as chancellor since 2005 - and wants to stay in that post.

As the national government only just formed a coalition government earlier this year with Merkel remaining as chancellor, she's not going anywhere just yet, but things are moving... Looks like there will be a Germany without Merkel at some point, certainly by the next national election.

• Germany's Angela Merkel has said she will step down as chancellor in 2021, following recent election setbacks.

"I will not be seeking any political post after my term ends," she told a news conference in Berlin.

She also said she would not seek re-election as leader of the centre-right CDU party in December. She has held the post since 2000.

Well, she's going, but not until 2021. Just think, the UK could still be tied to the EU then...

(Horizon: don't take the topic off course!^^)

• Germany's Merkel bids emotional farewell to CDU party

The German chancellor thanks the Christian Democrats as she steps down after 18 years as leader.

But she's still chancellor. She ain't gone yet.

You got to hand it to her, she has standing power.