Christmas Telly. Are you looking forward to it?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The broadcasters are starting to release their Christmas TV schedules with the Beeb being the first.

So what delights do we have? A Irishmen dressing up as a woman, two female comedians from the past, highlights from a dead comedian, The Apprentice final, Merry Berry (bless her) and some dramas too, nice of them to bother!

So, what do you think of the Christmas TV, so far?
    (click on the orange writing in the quote box to read the BBC article)

I wonder what "goodies" ITV will come up with??? Christmas fights Jeremy Kyle, Roast Turkey with Judge Rinder and a billion episodes of Coronation Street.

To think, we used to have people like Morecambe and Wise who would spend the best part of a year coming up for ideas for their Christmas Show, whereas nowadays most TV, including what's shown at Christmas, is cobbled together in five minutes.

Damn lazy tv makers! :(Humbug.:P

I'm not looking forward to Christmas TV, in fact I doubt the box will be on much at all.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• It's becoming an ordeal. It's full of mouldy old reruns and new stuff is just dumb action and flying splatter. Or reality shows about idiots.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• In some respects I feel lucky that I am old enough to have lived through an age of great television and music, but sad that young people of today will not be able to get the same memories.

• Yes, we were very lucky. So much music and film and so much to do. No neo-liberal fascists to clap you in irons every time you opened your mouth. Lots of lovely food, too. :)

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Well the provisional schedules reveal that for the first time since 2004, there is NO ANIMATED movie on BBC1 after The Queen. Instead it's a premiere of Disney's live action remake of Cinderella, a fitting film for Christmas afternoon.

The Christmas Eve line up isn't too bad either with:

6.00pm Countryfile

7.00pm Still Open All Hours Christmas Special

7.30 Mary, Mel and Sue's Christmas Thank You

8.30 EastEnders

9.00 Michael McIntyre's Big Christmas Show

10.05 Not Going Out Christmas Special

10.45 The Vicar of Dibley (rpt)

11.25 BBC News

11.45 Midnight Mass

• I've not seen the live action remake of Cinderella, so I'll give that a try.

As for the rest of it....:)

I imagine the best thing on will be the repeat, a repeat (they've got me doing it now!^^) of Vicar of Dibley and I think we can all guess what episode it will be. And it was a good one.

I haven't seen EastEnders in over 10 years. I used to love soaps as I said on another thread, but that love affair came to end with ever repeating storylines and ever more nastier characters usually involving someone having a mental collapse and going on some kind of killing spree or something. I'm sure Eastenders will be the usual "cheer."X/

Open All Hours never should have reopened for business. It's from the past and it should've been left there.

I'm not a fan of Michael McIntyre, although it could have been worse, it could've been Graham Norton!

Never seen Not going Out. I've just had to google it to find out what that is, I might give that a try, but we haven't had any decent sitcoms since Keeping Up Appearances and One Foot In The Grave. Those were the last two good sitcoms we had on the BBC or anywhere else for that matter.

I love choir music, but not the religion. So I might give the Midnight Mass a try too, but I think my evening will be filled by finding something on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Might even do a bit of forum chat too.:)

• Is that the best the BBC can come up with? PC correct nonsense, manky old soaps, unfunny commedians, poor re-makes and repeats.

It's a long time since we watched any of the first 5 channels during Chistmas. Still we're adequately supplied with blockbuster movies and boxed sets.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I think it's dire, but it's a reflection of today.

I'm waiting for the other main channels' schedules.

ITV - Christmas Special with Jeremy Kyle - Fighting chavs and total scum guaranteed!

CH4 - Come Dine with me at Christmas - scum invite other scum around for Christmas dinner.

CH5 - 999: What's Your Emergency - a "fun" filled hour of watching very elderly people die (been there, done that)

CH5 - Neighbours From Hell At Christmas - neighbours try to kill each other on Christmas day (been there, done that)

I'll pass.:)

• I think it's dire, but it's a reflection of today.

Unfortunately. Opium for the masses.:(

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Anything on tv this festive period that you're looking to seeing, or already seen? Do you like Christmas TV?

Personally, although its crude and rude, I will be watching Mrs Brown's Boys later on.

• We've got Food Network on and Adam Richman doing Man Vs Food. It'll be some blockbuster download later. Main TV is a dead loss as usual.

4312-gwban-gif

• I tried to watch a bit of telly yesterday, but what I saw wasn't impressive.

BBC One had a live action version of Jungle Book on, but it wasn't a patch on the original. Looked fantastic, great animation, but it left me cold.

• Top of the pops and Mrs Brown , a bit of Sky news , also Avengers Infinity wars , ITV as usual ought to be ashamed of the absolute crap they put on every Xmas day.

• We had Man vs Food on most of the day, ideal to just dip in and out of, then in the evening "Star wars episode IV" (DVD) and then "Ghost in the Shell" (1080P download) The original animé rather than the live action re-make. Then some pop videos, some from Youtube and the rest from the hard drives / media server.

Mainstream TV was utterly dire, pretty well across the board.

4312-gwban-gif

• Top of the pops and Mrs Brown , a bit of Sky news , also Avengers Infinity wars , ITV as usual ought to be ashamed of the absolute crap they put on every Xmas day.

ITV have almost given up being a serious broadcaster, Christmas Day or not. When ITV Be launched, that heralded their final nail in the coffin for me.

then in the evening "Star wars episode IV" (DVD)

One of the best films ever. Period.:)

• The DVD is nice because there's some extra footage not in the original cinematic release including Solo talking to Jabba and doing a deal to get the bounty hunters off his back. That's in the space port just before they take off from Tatooine.

It's part of a trilogy set (IV, V and VI) that includes bonus disks for each film with more deleted footage and background stuff and an interview with George Lucas by Leonard Maltin on the films background and casting decisions.

4312-gwban-gif

• George Lucas always did like piling on the extras for extra, extra special editions.

$$$$ :)

• Well looking at the schedules tonight with a second rate Bond movie and otherwise wall to wall crap. Looks like we'll have Star Wars Episode V (DVD) on. Currently watching re-runs of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network. At least this is moderately interesting with Guy trying out cuisines of the world at various eateries in the states. Guy, I want your car!

(SS Camero convertible)

4312-gwban-gif

• I have it on good authority that last nights first episode of a new version of The Christmas Carol is def worth a watch.

There was a Christmas ep of The Vicar of Dibley on last night and I loved that.

What are folks planning to watch over the holiday season?

• I have it on good authority that last nights first episode of a new version of The Christmas Carol is def worth a watch.

There was a Christmas ep of The Vicar of Dibley on last night and I loved that.

What are folks planning to watch over the holiday season?

The reviews I saw were not good, poor production with mumbled sound and they included the "F" word

Not very Dickens

If They Can Do It So Can I

• Oh now, not mumbling.... The actors need to learn to open their mouths a bit more. That's put me right off it now.

• Looking at the Christmas schedules I'm glad we have a stack of DVDs

Watched the Kirov ballet's Swan Lake this afternoon, nobody does ballet better than the Russians

• Love the music itself, but not ballet, personally.

Sky Arts is always a gem for that kind of stuff, or BBC4 as an alternative.

• Looking at the Christmas schedules I'm glad we have a stack of DVDs

And downloads. Christmas day is complete tripe. The sort of stuff my sister loves but we hate. Full on Saturday evening TV crap.

4312-gwban-gif

• I'm surprised we haven't got an evening with Gemma Collins or some other so called celeb, introduced and commented on by Caroline Flack

• They should just stick these two on:

• I'm surprised we haven't got an evening with Gemma Collins or some other so called celeb, introduced and commented on by Caroline Flack

I don't even know who those two are.:)

• Good. Where?

BBC2 7:30pm. Two Ronnies on BBC1 at 11:15pm. The day's highlights I suspect.

4312-gwban-gif