Our wonderful Universe

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the space of a decade or so, we've gone from zero, that life in our solar system other than on Earth exists, to the possibility now, that life may exist on several worlds, if you include the moons of Jupiter and Saturn too.

And Chinese attention is here:

https://www.space.com/china-proposed…s-include-venus

• US plans for ‘largest ever’ spaceship to transport humans to Jupiter & back
    A US PLAN for the largest space ship ever built that would be able to transport humans to Jupiter and back have been revealed in Pentagon files obtained by The…
    www.thesun.co.uk

The info about this proposed spaceship came from the same Pentagon document about all the UFOS, so that must have been one interesting document, if the full version ever gets released.

This spaceship is fusion powered and as yet, we don't have fusion power, so I'm not sure I'll ever get to see this ship takeoff, but serious work has been done on it and I wouldn't be surprised in 50 years if this does go ahead.

• I'm unclear as to why this ship needs to be manned as we can't survive on Jupiter. I don't think I'd want to undertake this trip if I couldn't actually walk on the planet!

• I'm unclear as to why this ship needs to be manned as we can't survive on Jupiter. I don't think I'd want to undertake this trip if I couldn't actually walk on the planet!

There's no "surface" on Jupiter to walk on but the moons are solid bodies with resources such as water.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Did you know all the colours are added in post processing. They are not the exact images that Hubble sees. To put it bluntly they are glamorised for public consumption.

How they do it: Processing Hubble images from B&W into stunning full-color - RocketSTEM
    Everyone has seen the dramatic images produced by the Hubble Telescope from the iconic Pillars of Creation to the hundreds of galaxies in one shot, but how are…
    www.rocketstem.org
    Are Hubble Images Real? Part I: Image Artifacts
    TLDR: Yes, Hubble images are real. This series of posts is dedicated to the scrutiny of Hubble imagery and a broader discussion of the veracity of astronomical…
    illuminateduniverse.org
  • It looks like a giant penis flying through space LOL I wonder why it was classified. It's not the most uncommon thing for meteorites to hit Earth. Remember that one that hit Russia. We have small fragments hit Earth everyday like space dust raining down on us so there's a question of how much of Earth is made outside of the big bang and Earths creation from space dust. What's more rare is for them to not break up and enter the atmosphere at the right angle and not break up.

• There's no "surface" on Jupiter to walk on but the moons are solid bodies with resources such as water.

Yes, I imagine that will be the plan to send that ship to one of the moons, possibly Europa, rather than Jupiter itself.

Would be interesting of they managed to find some of the debris on the seabed.

That article says that scientists are considering that.

As it's (was) the first interstellar object to enter our solar system and the only one to have come to Earth, I would've have thought it would be enormous interest to recover what bits they can get.

What we don't know is whether this object was detected before it crashed into the ocean and why the secrecy.

• Thanks for linking to that OB, fascinating indeed.

Like many other threads, I just haven't had the time to post in this thread much this year and missed all the stuff about the launch of the James Webb telescope. But, I will make up for it! :)

• As much as I'm fascinated by space, the universe and how stars, planets and solar systems came to be, I struggle to see what knowing the answers to those questions would bring to the party. It's not as though we're ever likely to develop the technology to go see and even if we could we're likely to have destroyed this planet long before we'd ever develop a means of leaving it in more than single digit numbers at a time. So I often find myself saying (much to my eldest son's annoyance)... "what's the point?"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!