When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • A new German series has recently landed on Netflix and if you haven't checked it out yet, you should!

I'm only a little way into the series, so cannot give a huge review on this yet, check here for one from wiki. All I can say is Dark is aptly named. Creepy music plays throughout each episodes along with atmospheric sounds. It rains a lot in this series helping to create the "dark" tone. Lots of scenes are shot at night or are shot in dimly lit places, giving this series a very eerie feel.

There's affairs, suicide, lies, betrayal, secret agendas, kidnapping, murder, oh and a bit of time travelling thrown in to boot!:)

It's being described on many review sites as being like Stranger Things. Well, for a start, the cast is older. Some of the main charterers are aged around 16 (the actors look at least 18) rather than the squeaky kiddies from Stranger Things and this is a adult drama with sex, violence and a wandering granddad in pyjamas. It's weirder too than Stranger Things.

I will post other reviews soon of other stuff I'm watching, but if you've seen The Kettering Incident, it has a similar-ish feel to that.

By default, the series comes with English dubbing, but I can't stand that, so I turned on the original German audio with English subtitles which is available in Netflix's settings.

When I've seen more episodes, I'll post more, but check it out if you can, it's available on Netflix right now.

Here's a trailer to wet your appetite:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Finished watching the series now and the way it ended leaves the door open, should Netflix decide to do it, for another series.

This story is summed up by saying the following, it surrounds the very grim subject of child kidnapping and murder and spans three time periods all linked to each other. This is a sci-fi/fantasy time travelling drama for adults where the themes of good and evil are explored, to say too much more would ruin the story for you. There are no plastic superheroes, space battles, buildings exploding or special effects, with a few exceptions. This is a character driven, multi-layered story with some nice twists to retain interest all the way to the end.

Some internet reviews have said they disliked the drama because there are no characters you can empathise with or like and I agree with that, except to tell a story, I don't see the need, as in most American dramas, to have characters you feel warm and cuddly too.

This drama is called Dark and it is exactly that from the way the scenes are shot, to its creepy music which is played throughout each episode (which does get somewhat annoying) to its dark story.

I said in my OP that there is a bit of time-travelling in this series, well, scrap that! Time-travelling is central to this story, it's far more than just a bit, it IS the story.

There are ten episodes in this series and it gets 8/10 from me.

Edit:

8/10 is too low. This is a full house for me: 10/10.

• I am delighted to report that Netflix has ordered a second series which will probably arrive in 2019.

I shall not ruin the plot of the first series, but the last episode was interesting and it featured one of the young characters who will continue to be a focus in the new series.

If anyone has seen the Australian series The Kettering Incident, Dark is very similar to that rather than Stranger Things. I highly recommend it, especially if you like time travelling stuff.

After hearing their screechy, high pitched voices, I never finished the first episode of Stranger Things when it first showed last year, but I've put it back on now and hope to watch the first series and perhaps the new second series too. I'll post a review of that soon.

• Netflix has announced that the second season of this German time-travelling murder mystery is hitting their servers on the 21st June. I don't have much time for tv at the moment, but apart from Game of Thrones, I consider this a must watch.

Season 2 trailer to wet your appetite:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just finished watching the last episode, no 8, of the second season and I enjoyed it.

This season wasn't up to the standard of the 1st season which was out of this world. Most of the intrigue, twists and turns had already been played out, but this was still thoroughly watchable.

I'm glad to say that rather than making as much money as possible from this story, the creators and Netflix have agreed that there will be a third season and that will be the last and I think that's right.

• Season 3 of this superb series is about to hit Netflix next week. Although the second season didn't have the twists or depth as the first season, it was still good, so I am hopeful of good things with this.

Season 3 trailer:

• Started to watch season 3, but I think I might need to rewatch all the previous first two seasons before continuing. To say the new season is a complicated head spinner, would be a understatement, but still probably the best thing on tv at the moment, in my opinion.

• I've now seen the whole of season 3 and without ruining things, there is a excellent part in the series which ties everything together (it's really good) but I wished I had watched the first two seasons again, as season 3 is too confusing, which is a shame.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!