When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Why should mining the moon wreck it?

Well we don't really know do we. Taking it's mass away might affect the gravitational pull. Combine that with the Moon moving further away from us and it might be serious issue.

So I wouldn't be keen on mining, if it means doing it on the side that faces the Earth.

Well you know if they go to the dark side they will have to deal with the aliens then :P

• Well we don't really know do we. Taking it's mass away might affect the gravitational pull. Combine that with the Moon moving further away from us and it might be serious issue.

Well you know if they go to the dark side they will have to deal with the aliens then :P

Pink Floyd went there and look what it did to them ;)

• New Moon co-orbital object discovered:

The only stable place it can co-orbit is at L4 or L5.

Lagrange points are where an object of neglible mass can be placed and co-orbit. Only L4 and L5 have a small gravitational well at their summits and are fully stable.

• New moon? Astronomers find first evidence of a possible moon outside our solar system

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1525/new-…r-solar-system/

Hundreds of tiny moons may be orbiting Earth

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2132…orbiting-earth/

Is that another name for space dust. Put it on your tongue and it starts cracking and sizzling LOL

Earth has two extra, hidden 'moons'

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/1…-planets-space/

NASA and scientists are as loony as the rest of them looking into terrestrial things as they all fight to find new discoveries and get extra funding.

• Full story and pictures on link.

• On TV some photographers got the "pink moon" but most just the very large moon as it was at it's nearest to earth

• I don't like the idea of messing with the Moon as it has too much influence on Earth. If they start mining it and removing substance what effect may that have on our tides.

• Full story on link above.

• The only thing that surprises me about this article, is that it's considered "News".

Perhaps they think they are doing women a favour of some kind...? A sort of "Oh well, I suppose we have to let one go up there otherwise we'll never hear the end of it.".

If the Astronaut who is finally selected is good enough for the job, she should go. The last thing we'd want is a token.

And that's really the end of that.

• I want to know when they are going to send a cow over the moon. Sending a woman is not impressive enough for me and no different from sending a man. I recommend a Jersey cow and we can all milk some fun from that.

• The only thing that surprises me about this article, is that it's considered "News".

Perhaps they think they are doing women a favour of some kind...? A sort of "Oh well, I suppose we have to let one go up there otherwise we'll never hear the end of it.".

If the Astronaut who is finally selected is good enough for the job, she should go. The last thing we'd want is a token.

And that's really the end of that.

If you asked Bibbles, I am sure he would claim that it’s because they need someone who can cook a decent roast.

I know, bad taste...

Seriously, I do think it’s about time we stopped judging people by their gender, race, accent, etc and simply looked at who best meets the attributes for the job. We are still way off achieving that, and it is an indictment of the human race that so many people just don’t get it.

Seriously, I do think it’s about time we stopped judging people by their gender, race, accent, etc and simply looked at who best meets the attributes for the job. We are still way off achieving that, and it is an indictment of the human race that so many people just don’t get it.

============

I tend to agree with you Old Boy. The idea of positive discrimination where people are chosen just to tick boxes on divergence is insulting and demeaning. The worst seems to be the BBC. IMHO it must be dreadful to be the token Black, Asian, Homosexual or White. The best person for the job should be chosen and that is all that matters.

The Voice of Reason

• Having dropped tantalising hints days ago about an "exciting new discovery about the Moon", the US space agency has revealed conclusive evidence of water on our only natural satellite.

This "unambiguous detection of molecular water" will boost Nasa's hopes of establishing a lunar base.

The aim is to sustain that base by tapping into the Moon's natural resources.

The findings have been published as two papers in the journal Nature Astronomy.

• That is definitely an exciting story, no doubt about it, as that water could sustain human colonies on the moon and power rockets. But the stories on this, at least the ones I've read, seem to have missed a potentially far bigger story. Where there's water, there's life. Even if just a frozen microbe is found in the frozen water, would be earth shattering.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!