Trump: NASA to put man on the moon again.

• Looks like Trump is having his "Kennedy" moment. The original Gemini and Apollo programmes gave a big boost to technological progress, if Trumps purse is deep enough this could do the same.

Bush was going to get man back on the moon but Obama cancelled the programme to save money.

The announcement was welcomed by NASA’s Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot, who said the agency is looking forward to focusing its work on “returning humans to the Moon, travel to Mars and opening the deeper solar system beyond.”

Buzz Aldrin, the second man on the Moon after Armstrong and a big advocate of future space missions, was also present at the ceremony.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Fascinating!

If we are to ever have colonies on other planets starting with Mars, we need something a "bit" closer to test our our technologies and find out how it all might work.

The only thing is money. To "do" anything space is extremely expensive as well as complicated, so I question whether the Americans will go it alone. They'll probably seek allies to share the burden, especially with Trump at the helm.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Glad to hear this. Heero, I also thought first off that he was having a Kennedy moment, which is rather ironic seeing as the big K was a democrat. But it shouldn't turn into a space race, it should be a nice, sharing of knowledge between Earthlings. Science isn't for blowing trumpets. (Excuse pun)

There, in a mauve light of drifted lupins,

They hung in the cupped hands of mountains

Made of tingling atoms.- Ted Hughes

• It's probably also a clever way of pumping money into the US economy at the same time as grandstanding. IIRC the original moon landings supported something like a million jobs in the associated US industries.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Trump is a businessman so if it looks like a good deal, he'll sign for it. And as China is almost certainly the next big space racer, Trump is keeping America in the space business for the future where wars will be technology based. Humans are slowly creeping out of their Earth cocoon, many kicking and screaming as reality leaves their cherished beliefs about almost everything behind and presents the truth of our isolation and the vastness of the cosmos without God.

I often wonder if humanity at large is mature and sane enough for this.

There, in a mauve light of drifted lupins,

They hung in the cupped hands of mountains

Made of tingling atoms.- Ted Hughes

• What's the betting Trump has some hidden financial interest in a aeronautical/aerospace company that all the contracts for stuff will go too.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Full story and pictures on red link above.

Looks like Trump's going to deliver on his promise.

4312-gwban-gif

• I think by then this will be mainly a SpaceX mission or some other company running things instead of NASA. The private companies' tech is far ahead of what NASA can do now.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.