Is size important when it comes to wine glasses?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • As a regular wine drinker I found that my consumption at home was increasing gradually over a period of time and decided to limit it. At one time one could be buy glasses of 125 ml but these don't appear to be available in the shops so we bought some off the internet.

Pubs and restaurants have stopped selling wine in 125 ml glasses too despite the fact that there is a law obliging them to do so. Which is why now we almost always use cabs if we are going out to a restaurant. On the rare occasions we don't use cabs, I limit my wine to one 175 ml glass, the smallest available. 250 ml seems to be the size that most people order which is a third of a normal bottle.

So I think size does matter, the bigger the glass the more inclined one is to put more wine in.

• I don't drink and only use wine in cooking, but a glass size the equivalent of a third of a bottle is quite staggering, if you'll pardon the pun.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• That amount (250ml) of typical wine has an alcohol content about the same as a pint of Stella. (3 units). Our wine glasses at Heero Towers are the old standard 125ml ones. Still get through the bottle though with a meal.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• That amount (250ml) of typical wine has an alcohol content about the same as a pint of Stella. (3 units). Our wine glasses at Heero Towers are the old standard 125ml ones. Still get through the bottle though with a meal.

Do you have a favourite wine? Mine's Pinot Noire. Not many places sell it by the glass so I usually have merlot then.

• Rather partial to Australian Chardonnay, particulaly the range of wines from Hardy's, though South Africa, California and Chile are making some very decent wines for not too many pennys.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Don't really drink alcohol, so can't claim any "expertise" on this subject, but a bit like ever increasing amounts of sugar in food, or fatty fried foods, tastes have changed for the worse and companies "supersizing" shows no sign of abating. Try getting a small cup of of coffee in Starbucks....

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Rather partial to Australian Chardonnay, particulaly the range of wines from Hardy's, though South Africa, California and Chile are making some very decent wines for not too many pennys.

I'm trying some Chilean Merlot at the moment. 3 litre box from Tescos at about £16. It's a bit rough around the edges but drinkable if you get it down fast enough. A bit like some cough mixtures. ;)

• I was in Costco again on Friday night and they had some very nice bottles of wine and whiskey. I did notice the glass sets they were selling with some of the bottles and as Morgan said, they were all large.

The ladies, in particular, seem to really enjoy these large glasses.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.